• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Can't ride rollercoasters-do you think I can ride other "action" rides?

Earstou

DIS Veteran
Last year I had the back of my first vertebrae removed due to a Chiari brain malformation. The only restricton the neurosurgeon gave me was no rollercoasters.
Now I'm wondering about things like Star Tours and even the drop at Splash Mountain.
Anyone have any experience with something like this? Do I need to avoid the rides that caution those with neck problems?

I am not familiar with your medical condition, but if it possible for you, you can go through the roller coaster lines with others & take the "chicken exit" out. That way you can see what is inside the attraction like Space Mountain, Rock 'n Rollercoaster, etc. Several other rides like Body Wars, Star Tours, etc. do have medical warnings for medical conditions like pregnancy, heart conditions, back & neck problems, etc.

Whatever you ride or don't ride, I think there would be enough for you to enjoy at WDW!! Have fun!!

I agree with JudithM ... many of the coasters have the chicken exits, so you can enjoy the preshow with your family and then exit before you get in the ride.

Whatever you do, do not allow others to talk you into going on a ride against your better judgement!!! I get sick from spinny rides and one year went on one against my better judgement --- oh yes, sick the rest of the day!!!! Never, never again will I be talked into something I know I shouldn't ride.

Back problems are no fun (my husband has them) ... don't take any chances at WDW -- there is too much other stuff to do to put yourself at risk of wreaking your vacation!

I would check with your surgeon or GP. Star Tours and Body Wars are as jerky as roller coasters I think. I would not want to take a chance with my spine!:eek:

And as Trapped-parent said there are so many fun things to do at WDW that aren't fast or jerky.

If your surgeon said to avoid roller coasters, you probably should avoid any rides that have neck or back warnings. You'd hae to specifically ask the doctor about Splash Mountain. There is no side to side motion like on a rolleer coaster, but theere are 3 (I think I rmember right) smaller drops before the big one.
We have been on Body Wars and Star Tours many tinmes with my DD who has cerebral palsy. Both are very rough and jerky rides (and I mean very), so you should not chance them. If it is not busy, you may be able to get the Cms on those rides to let you go on a no-motion run of those rides. It's basically ssitting in the ride car (which is like a small theater) and watching the movie without any of the ride motion. Go during a non-busy time and ask the first CM that you see at the rides about doing it. They may tell you no and suggest a slower time to come back.
If you go to the official Disney site at disney.com you can download copies of the Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities for each park. They don't have a lot of boarding information, but they do give a short description of each ride and list any warnings.

Originally posted by SueM in MN
If it is not busy, you may be able to get the Cms on those rides to let you go on a no-motion run of those rides. It's basically ssitting in the ride car (which is like a small theater) and watching the movie without any of the ride motion. Go during a non-busy time and ask the first CM that you see at the rides about doing it. They may tell you no and suggest a slower time to come back.

We "accidentally" ended up on Star Tours on oneof the "check" rides with a mom, dad & two small children. The room/seat/whatever did not move, so it was a totally different feel of the ride. A CM told us they do this check for guests with small children, guests who for whatever reason cannot be jerked around, etc. The CM did say to try & pick a slowtime - like during a parade - to ask for this special ride. It is worth asking for!

I believe the Alien Encounter has severally seats set up like this, eventhough it was not very rough ride.
I think you are remembering wrong. Nothing in Alien Encounter moves (except your immagination). The seats are stationary. There are several places in the theater that don't have seats so that someone in a wheelchair can sit there, but since the ride doesn't move, they get the same "ride" as everyone else.
The only rides that have the ability to give a non-motion experience are the 2 similator rides: Star Tours and Body Wars. To do that, the CM needs to run the ride with the movie only, so the whole theater doesn't move for that cycle. There aren't any rides that have seats with less motion than others.
If you go to Universal, there is a ride that has a whole section in the theater that doesn't move. I think it's called "The World of Hanna Barbara". Without motion, it's a cartoon that shows a lot of characters moving around fast. With motion, you zoom from side to side and up and down with the characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter