• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can't say enough about the Skipper Canteen

Polybound

Mouseketeer
We just got back from a 5 day trip to the World and Skipper Canteen was the highlight of our trip. It was relatively quiet, well decorated, relaxing, the service was excellent and the food was very, very good. By far our favorite restaurant in the Magic Kingdom now. Here is a quick review of our meals.

12/10 Lunch - Capt. Cook's Poly - took way too long to get food and the food was okay, not great.
12/10 Dinner - Narcoosees - Eaten here several times - didn't think the food was as good as before - but it was good.

12/11 Lunch - PizzeRizzo - at Hollywood Studio's - disappointing - very average - selection very limited.
12/11 Dinner - Chefs de France - Food was good, not great - service was okay.

12/12 Lunch - Tiffins - Not thrilled with the menu. Food quality/preparation was pretty good, not great.
12/12 Dinner - Citricos - Have eaten here multiple times as well. Daughter's Filet was great - I had fish, wife had something else - we both thought they were good, not great.

12/13 Lunch - Tutto Gusto - EPCOT - Okay, pretty average.
12/13 Dinner - Crystal Palace - Had eaten here for breakfast many times before - thought dinner was good, not great.

12/14 Lunch - Skipper Canteen - Very, Very Good - highly recommend.

Last edited:
That's great news. We're trying it for the first time in just a few weeks. I've looked the menu over many times, but the only thing I know I'm getting for sure is that coconut bar dessert. What did you guys eat?

Glad you enjoyed Skippers!!! It's definitely become our favorite and go-to restaurant in MK

We've gone to Skipper Canteen twice and both times we enjoyed every item we ordered. The frozen (non alcoholic) drinks are unique and so refreshing on a hot day! I'm dreaming of that chicken right now :) Take a sweater though, the AC is frigid and can actually be uncomfortable. Also- if you have small children pay attention to shield them when food or hot beverages are being delivered. We had both a kitchen runner and a coffee refiller who handled things right over the little ones heads on our visit earlier this week. It was concerning.

We dined here on Monday. I was very hesitant but couldn't get our usual BoG or CP having booked only 6 weeks out. We needed an MK ADR and planned to have a special cake delivered. We ended up really loving this place. Food was really good and service was excellent. We will definitely be returning.

This is good to hear, as we're looking into the restaurant for our upcoming trip. The menu seemed to have an Asian flare; would you say that was your experience? I'm asking because we are already eating at Morimoto Asia and Ohana, and we would like to vary the type of cuisine during our visit.

That's great news. We're trying it for the first time in just a few weeks. I've looked the menu over many times, but the only thing I know I'm getting for sure is that coconut bar dessert. What did you guys eat?
So I was waffling between the coconut bar and the chocolate cake thing with the coffee ice cream. Our waiter told me he didn't think the coconut bar had that much taste, so I went with the other (and it was great). DH was so full he declined on dessert!

DH had the fried chicken (is that potato flakes or what??!?). It was very good. DS had the char siu pork; he had enough to share some with DD who liked it as well. She got the steak salad and it was a steak salad. I got the curry veggie stew but had them add a (nice big juicy) portion of grilled chicken for only $5.50. It and the coconut rice were very tasty. It's definitely our new fave in MK!

This is good to hear, as we're looking into the restaurant for our upcoming trip. The menu seemed to have an Asian flare; would you say that was your experience? I'm asking because we are already eating at Morimoto Asia and Ohana, and we would like to vary the type of cuisine during our visit.
It's Asian influenced, but pretty unique dishes. It's much different than Ohana. Never been to Morimoto so can't comment there. But if you're a Jungle Cruise fan and like Asian food, definitely give it a try.

Glad to hear people are enjoying the place and hope the change for the good is permanent. We had a such a bad experience when they first opened that DW won't give it a second chance. One of the biggest complaints was the small tapas like portions.

Glad to hear people are enjoying the place and hope the change for the good is permanent. We had a such a bad experience when they first opened that DW won't give it a second chance. One of the biggest complaints was the small tapas like portions.

Our portions definitely were not small so I'm guessing that changed. Even the kids meals were a good size.

Asian and African influenced. I know the bread was said to be Ethiopian celebration bread and there was at least one dessert I recall that was African inspired.

Can't wait to eat here after xmas. Since they will only have beer and wine, I might just get a non-alcoholic drink. Did they have the souvenir mugs? Sorry you weren't thrilled with Tiffins. We ate there in late July. Both of our meals were excellent. I had the Hoisin-Glazed Grouper, and it just melted in our mouth. DH had the Wagyu and Short Ribs and thought it was great. The bread service was really good as well as the brussel sprouts and dessert. I thought we got something chocolatey, but the only chocolate on the menu has banana, which DH hates.

We ate there not long after opening and it was definitely forgettable. Have not been back since. Just may have to try it again in January. Thanks for the report......

This was one of the best meals on our recent trip!
Everything was perfect!

Can't wait to eat here after xmas. Since they will only have beer and wine, I might just get a non-alcoholic drink. Did they have the souvenir mugs? Sorry you weren't thrilled with Tiffins. We ate there in late July. Both of our meals were excellent. I had the Hoisin-Glazed Grouper, and it just melted in our mouth. DH had the Wagyu and Short Ribs and thought it was great. The bread service was really good as well as the brussel sprouts and dessert. I thought we got something chocolatey, but the only chocolate on the menu has banana, which DH hates.

They do have souvenir mugs. I don't normally get them, but we did grab one while we were there. The juice was really yummy too.

They do have souvenir mugs. I don't normally get them, but we did grab one while we were there. The juice was really yummy too.

You have just made my day:woohoo:Are they the copper looking mugs? I have been wanting one of those since they opened. We have been collecting mugs from Trader Sam's. Last night at Rogue One, we got a Gremlins tiki mug from our local theater, Alamo Drafthouse. We also bought special Rogue One glasses. My cabinets are starting to get full with special mugs, coffee mugs, and glasses:rolleyes1

You have just made my day:woohoo:Are they the copper looking mugs? I have been wanting one of those since they opened. We have been collecting mugs from Trader Sam's. Last night at Rogue One, we got a Gremlins tiki mug from our local theater, Alamo Drafthouse. We also bought special Rogue One glasses. My cabinets are starting to get full with special mugs, coffee mugs, and glasses:rolleyes1

Yup, they are copper looking mugs. I'm sure it will be a great addition to your collection.

Aw man :( I collect tiki mugs (not just from Disney) and I didn't see or hear anything about one while we were there. Wonder if they were out, so didn't mention it, or just forgot? Could someone post a pic?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter