Can't wait for May

keetmommy

Mouseketeer
Our family is just getting through the worst year of our lives, Our youngest (5) was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor in June 07, she had one operable tumor removed and needed a shunt because of the inoperable one. She has had 5 surgeries on her shunt since..the fluid build up on her brain also left her vision at 20/200....enough doom and gloom....a wonderful family member is letting us use their timeshare at Orange Lake for a week. I am wondering ways that we are going to be able to make this as magical as possible for our kids. We have an 11 yr old dd who is amazing and has really stepped up to the plate this year. and a special needs (8) year old who doesn't deal with crowds well. We are thinking of doing MK and Seaworld as I think everything any other full days in the parks maybe to hard for the younger ones. So I have 132 days to plan and need to know where to start....I have read some about the GAC and I am sure we will need that as dd(5) also has an Orthopedic Issue....

I'm not the best to respond to this but am wondering if you have tried calling the WDW line to inquire about disabilities? My parents are deaf and we are going in May also. When I called to make reservations and I made a comment about my parents also going the castmembers were very helpful with information about accessibility. I also saw in one of my guide books that each park's Guidebook for Guest with Disabilities is available online at disneyworld(dot)com. Maybe it's a start anyway and I'm sure there are a lot more people on this board who are a heck of a lot more knowledgeable than I am since I just joined.

I am so sorry about your daughter. I wish you and your family all the magic you can find on your upcoming trip. Anyway my neice has Cerebral Palsy. She can walk but is EASILY distracted. Her legs also give out when she has to walk or stand for long periods of time. My sister's family was at WDW this week. She said the crowds were heavy. She spent all of her time trying to keep up with my neice. She said that she would focus on something and just stop in the middle of the crowd. Also they had to take breaks alot just to sit. They have two other children who wanted to go, go, go! My sister orginally did not want to use her handicap sticker because she is one that encourages her daughter to try. (You know what I mean, she does not want everyday of her life to be a disability). But after two days in the park my neice could not take it. They went to the front desk that evening at the resort. Got a special number to call. Had her doctor fax over some paper work. And by the next day they all had some special necklace to wear and a wheelchair. She said just having the wheelchair helped. My neice is a tall 8 year old, much too big for a stroller. This helped everyone enjoy there trip. I would definately call Disney right away. There is something they can do to help you and your family have a wonderful time!!

:welcome: to the DIS.

I am going to move this over to our disABILITIES Forum. We have some great people over there with a lot of experience that should be able to give you lots of help and advice. :)

Hi and :welcome: to the disABILITIES Forum.

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. The top item is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information about the Guest Assistance Card (GAC).

Or, if you want an easier route, click on the link in my signature.

You might want to contact your local branch of Make A Wish Foundation. They may be able to assist you. Also, they may officially, after verification, put you in contact with the Give Kids The World Village in Kissimmee, where many people in similar situations go to. Although you will not be staying at GKTW, under the circumstances they may be able to give you the passes you need, as well as the special issue GAC which is not normally available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter