• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Capacity has been increased

I agree! If you move to 50%+ capacity that's pretty much a regular day, how do you not have FP? Or at a minimum all the eating and shows open!
From what I've been hearing, most of the restaurants will be back in operation by sometime this summer. I would think that reduced distancing should allow them to reinstate FP+, but I haven't heard anything on the 'when' or specifics of that yet. It should be interesting to see how well Disney's horrid IT does on trying to be able to keep the system live with the rush of people if/when that comes back (if it returns as we remember it) with people trying to book 60 days worth at once.

They will likely charge for FP+ when it comes back with maybe giving it for free to deluxe resort guests. Bring lots of water and be ready to stand in really long lines in the heat this summer.

They will likely charge for FP+ when it comes back with maybe giving it for free to deluxe resort guests.
The future of FP+ is possibly going to be a hybrid, scaling system. A certain amount of advance passes included, with increases in range (how far in advance you can reserve) and number of passes with being on-site and possibly a moderate and deluxe/DVC premium # of passes, with more being available for purchase in premium packages. Sort of a mix of what we had, plus including some of the good that comes with Universal's Deluxe resorts including Express Pass.

Makes sense that immediately actually means as soon as possible. It isn't a light switch. But I completely agree they've been already increasing capacity, yesterday's news just gave them the green light to go even further.

Right, and unfortunately anyone who has a trip between when they start increasing capacity further and when they get staffing in order enough to open more things to help eat up those extra people may have to pay with longer wait times and larger crowds. I can't say I'm surprised that Disney would add more capacity knowing the negative effect it will have on the guest experience, but I am a bit disappointed as my trip is likely to fall into that window.

Just a pain in the butt. One more thing to do. You got your AP pool and your ticket pool. One is sold out, the other isn’t. You‘ve gotta phone if you see availability in one pool, not the other, but you qualify for the other......just seems like an unnecessary hassle to me.
Plus it means people like me and others who want to be there so badly on October 1 currently can’t. Most days you’d never have to worry about it at all. On rare days like oct 1, you could just do like I always planned to do an mine up the day before. The reservation system only benefits disney and FP reservations gave them the same information, just less precise.

Plus it means people like me and others who want to be there so badly on October 1 currently can’t. Most days you’d never have to worry about it at all. On rare days like oct 1, you could just do like I always planned to do an mine up the day before. The reservation system only benefits disney and FP reservations gave them the same information, just less precise.

Wouldn't this be due to capacity?

You wouldn't be able to do October 1 anyway, because the park would be at capacity. Just like often a person couldn't get into MK or DL on New Years Eve or right around Christmas because it would be full already. About the only thing it changes is the incentive to start camping out like 12 hours before the gates open, which would be the situation if there were no park reservations. If there weren't reservations, it would be a first-come, first-served system so people would be outside as early as humanly possible on the morning of the 1st - or even the evening of the 30th - to be sure they got in. Personally I would much rather plan things in advance and know whether I can get in on a particular day than have to park my buns on a point in the sidewalk overnight like I'm getting concert tickets (ok, I was a nerd, so it was Supreme Court argument viewing, but that's not the point!) - I'm not 19 anymore!

At yesterday's share holders, Bob Chapek publicly stated that they already have been increasing capacity - not just effective immediately. This has been highly suspected by many on these boards for the past couple months.

You are right - they need to open shows, restaurants and people eaters in order to increase guest satisfaction right now.
And what drives me nuts are how insistent ppl. who aren't there, haven't been recently are about "well Disney didn't say they raised it, so they definitely didn't" anytime someone who's literally there experiencing the parks says anything about they think capacity has increased. If nothing else is consistent about Disney it's the misleading of info. that's spewed around everywhere there. The fact that some ppl. just cannot accept that is astonishing to me.

You wouldn't be able to do October 1 anyway, because the park would be at capacity. Just like often a person couldn't get into MK or DL on New Years Eve or right around Christmas because it would be full already. About the only thing it changes is the incentive to start camping out like 12 hours before the gates open, which would be the situation if there were no park reservations. If there weren't reservations, it would be a first-come, first-served system so people would be outside as early as humanly possible on the morning of the 1st - or even the evening of the 30th - to be sure they got in. Personally I would much rather plan things in advance and know whether I can get in on a particular day than have to park my buns on a point in the sidewalk overnight like I'm getting concert tickets (ok, I was a nerd, so it was Supreme Court argument viewing, but that's not the point!) - I'm not 19 anymore!

What do you mean I wouldn’t be able to anyway? Of course I would. It doesn’t reach capacity until it’s filled prior to the reservation system. Anyone that wants in that day gets in if they are early enough. It’s not like I’d expect to stroll in at noon. I’d be there hours before opening.

I’d rather they allow the people who want in the most to get in. I literally was given zero chance to book that day before it ran out because my AP was not even close to up for renewal yet. I don’t like waiting either but for big events and days like Christmas that’s just always how it’s been. Heck normal every days are like that when there is a big new ride.

Disney locking out some of the biggest fans who want to be there most on such a special day is very disappointing. And it’s not like you had to camp out if you were a hotel guest unless you wanted to be there at the actual opening. I understand you’re not in my situation and may just not care, but it’s hurtful to me and I’ll be anxious about it for months not knowing, vs excited knowing I’d be there no matter what. Something very special that I literally moved here to be a part of has been taken away from me. I know it’s a huge first world problem, but this is a disney forum so I thought others would sympathize rather.

The reservation system causes very little to zero net benefit to any guests, unnecessary very minor inconvenience to all guests, and huge negatives to a small minority of people like me. But at least disney can have slightly more accurate crowd estimates.

Last edited:
And what drives me nuts are how insistent ppl. who aren't there, haven't been recently are about "well Disney didn't say they raised it, so they definitely didn't" anytime someone who's literally there experiencing the parks says anything about they think capacity has increased. If nothing else is consistent about Disney it's the misleading of info. that's spewed around everywhere there. The fact that some ppl. just cannot accept that is astonishing to me.

Some might say equally annoying are the people that go to Disney and don't have the common sense to realize that normal/close to normal winter/early spring crowd levels in a park with significantly reduced people-eaters and with lines that are physically distanced, gives the illusion of heavier crowds, which in turn sparks "increased capacity" rumors. 🤷

The future of FP+ is possibly going to be a hybrid, scaling system. A certain amount of advance passes included, with increases in range (how far in advance you can reserve) and number of passes with being on-site and possibly a moderate and deluxe/DVC premium # of passes, with more being available for purchase in premium packages. Sort of a mix of what we had, plus including some of the good that comes with Universal's Deluxe resorts including Express Pass.

I know everybody says this... but do we have info direct from Disney to back up this belief? Not trying to call you out personally, but I keep hearing this and wonder if it is fact or urban legend? TIA for any sources you can provide!

What do you mean I wouldn’t be able to anyway? Of course I would. It doesn’t reach capacity until it’s filled prior to the reservation system. Anyone that wants in that day gets in if they are early enough. It’s not like I’d expect to stroll in at noon. I’d be there hours before opening.

I’d rather they allow the people who want in the most to get in. I literally was given zero chance to book that day before it ran out because my AP was not even close to up for renewal yet. I don’t like waiting either but for big events and days like Christmas that’s just always how it’s been. Heck normal every days are like that when there is a big new ride.

Disney locking out some of the biggest fans who want to be there most on such a special day is very disappointing. And it’s not like you had to camp out if you were a hotel guest unless you wanted to be there at the actual opening. I understand you’re not in my situation and may just not care, but it’s hurtful to me and I’ll be anxious about it for months not knowing, vs excited knowing I’d be there no matter what. Something very special that I literally moved here to be a part of has been taken away from me. I know it’s a huge first world problem, but this is a disney forum so I thought others would sympathize rather.

The reservation system causes very little to zero net benefit to any guests, unnecessary very minor inconvenience to all guests, and huge negatives to a small minority of people like me. But at least disney can have slightly more accurate crowd estimates.
That is really sad, and I’m very sorry for you.
I’d be very upset too.
I really hope somehow, you get to go. :goodvibes
It makes you think, how many people have booked it, just in case, but have no real intention of going. Will they even bother to cancel?

100% agree. It was one thing to defend them last fall when Disney came out and said it was 35%, but quite another when this spring line waits literally doubled at all rides from what they were during Christmas break (all park reservations were "full" in both cases). It was completely obvious that Disney had increased capacity without telling anyone.

This is how I feel about getting Rise of the Resistance boarding passes. Why not let those who really, really want to ride wait in an hours long line for it? Instead, anyone with a phone can get a pass and it's a toss up whether or not you'll get one. Local guests who have ridden it dozens of times already will ride it multiple times a week by sheer luck, shutting out chances for some to ride it even once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter