• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cape May for someone who doesn't like seafood?

hedg12

Mouseketeer
Title kind of says it all. I'm not a big seafood fan, but the rest of my family loves it. We have an ADR for Cape May Cafe in November - are there enough non-seafood items on the buffet to keep someone like me happy?

I believe so I'm not a big Seafood either either it's been a while since we had a came a but I was perfectly satisfied and there's always the kids stuff.

I would only go to Cape May if you like crab legs. We went for the first time in February and I was the only person in my group who does not eat crab legs so I sucked it up and went along with everyone else.

We all agreed that the other offerings were not good. Maybe it was an off night, I'm not sure but EVERYTHING was cold- they had a few pasta dishes, meatballs, mashed potatoes, a few veggies, and some sort of meat (prime rib maybe? I can't remember). For that price, I won't be returning.

the “seafood smell” is overwhelming.
Do you find this is true for breakfast as well?

When we did a Crescent Lake resort tour in 2018, with an eye towards scouting them out for our 2020 trip, I noted while passing through BC during the afternoon that the seafood odor was so strong that it eliminated that resort as a place I could stay. But even if we stayed at YC or BWI, I'd still like to do Cape May for breakfast if the seafood smell was minimal. The breakfast menu only has one seafood item on it, near as I could tell.

My daughter and I don't eat the seafood there, or at least very little of it, and we always manage to come out stuffed.

I could make a meal of the salad bar alone (but, I don't - cuz I love the seafood).

That being said, I don't notice the smell IN the restaurant, just in the back corridor as you coming towards it from YC. I don't even notice it in the BC lobby..

I don't eat seafood and DH does so I suffer through once in a while there. I manage to leave very satisfied. They have an excellent salad selection and always a chicken and beef dish. Plus pasta's. If you're avoiding carbs, it's still managable in my personal opinion.
And I agree with the above poster. I notice the smell walking through the hotel, not in the restaurant itself.

I'm a vegetarian and have really enjoyed Cape May the few times we've gone. There is definitely more on the buffet than just seafood. If you are okay with the smell of seafood, I'd say give it a try!

There is a recent dining review on DIS unplugged and Pete, who doesn't do seafood, gives a view on whether this

I don’t eat seafood and usually can’t stand the smell but we went in 2013 because my husband loves seafood! We all absolutely loved the restaurant! They have the best Mac and cheese! We have a ressie there for Sept and can’t wait!

I'd go there for breakfast instead of dinner. I've been for breakfast a few times and have not noticed any seafood smell.

Title kind of says it all. I'm not a big seafood fan, but the rest of my family loves it. We have an ADR for Cape May Cafe in November - are there enough non-seafood items on the buffet to keep someone like me happy?
IMO, yes! Cape May is one of my favorites for breakfast and dinner. Though I wish it wasn't always seafood every. single. night. because of the smell and I hate seafood, there's always enough for me to leave stuffed. I'm pretty picky too. I go to that for my DH who loves it. I'll tolerate the smell for him. :)

Yes, you can find non seafood options, but what you are paying for is the seafood. If you dont mind spending $50+ on chicken, you'll be fine! If youre on the DP or have a discount. even better!

The odor is vile. If you don't like seafood, avoid Cape May Buffet for anything other than breakfast. Just walking by it on the way to the pool is awful.

Never eaten there but when we stayed at YC did a walk through to get an idea of the buffet's offerings. The seafood lovers in your family will love the variety of seafood and fish. Did a nice job with the carving station as well: saw a beef roast, and turkey, and further down the line, ribs but don't recall if they were spare or short ribs. A few meat or seafood casseroles such as paella and chicken with pasta. Many side dishes and the usual Disney dessert buffet.
Lots of pictures of the food over at tripadvisor.com. I'd heard about the odor before I arrived there but smelt nothing out of the ordinary; perhaps they've upgraded the ventilation system in the last year or so.

HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter