Car dealership- have to honor internet prices?

kellia

DIS Veteran
Do dealerships have to honor prices for vehicles that they advertise online? I found a REALLY great deal on a GM Certified car, but am pretty sure the price has to be a typo. Do they still have to give it to me like stores would if it was in an ad?

I don't know if they have to, but we bought a car 3 years ago and the dealership did honor the typo price from the internet. I had been searching for a specific car and found one with all the options I wanted, listed on a cars.com for about 10K less than everywhere else. I called the dealership because it seemed odd to me and was assured that, "yes, that is the price." I printed out the advertisement from the website and that evening DH and I headed to the dealership. When we got there we found the vehicle (the web advertisement had the VIN listed) and the price on the window as 10K MORE than what the internet ad said. DH asked the salesman what kind of deal they were giving on the car and he said, none, that the window price was "a red tag deal - the lowest they could go." I pulled out the ad from the internet and said, well this said the car is 10K less and I spoke with Joe this afternoon and he confirmed the price. An hour later we walked out of the dealership with the car for the lower price.

Best car deal we ever got.

Often times dealerships will price their cars differently for an internet ad than if you just walked in off the street. They do this because people searching the internet for cars are usually looking for something specific and can sort by price. It's also a great way for them to move older inventory. The longer a car sits on the lot, the more money they are losing. The lower price is a win/win for the dealer and the buyer.

Also, it's good to call ahead because we've run into it where I found a specific car I wanted, when we got there it was gone! We did call ahead but didn't get a salesperson's name. It's good to make sure they go see/touch the car and be absolutely sure it's not sold. Good deals go fast :)

When we bought our minivan two years ago, I searched online to find a great used one at a good price. I found one on autotrader.com with a coupon that said if you mentioned that you found the car on their site, you'd get $500 off. When we went in to make the deal, they told us what their lowest price was. I whipped out the coupon I'd printed out. The guy said that they'd asked autotrader to pull that special, but since they hadn't, and I had the printout, they honored it.

Do dealerships have to honor prices for vehicles that they advertise online? I found a REALLY great deal on a GM Certified car, but am pretty sure the price has to be a typo. Do they still have to give it to me like stores would if it was in an ad?

I'd say yes and if they don't take it to another dealer and often they will match the price. If the first one does not give the FTC a call. See False Advertising

DH got prices online from a few dealerships a few years back on my Toyota Solara Convertible. When we went to the one we ended up buying from, the salesman brings over the internet salesman who then says they can't give us the internet price that we were quoted!! I casually started putting on my coat and was going to get up and leave when he quickly changed his mind!! :rotfl2: We got the price we were quoted (and printed out and brought with us)!

Once they gave us the run around and I just scooted the sales guy over and used his computer to pull up the ad. :rotfl:
They honored it then.
I'd say, some will try to switch other things around on you (qualifing details that weren't listed, etc.) so stay on your toes and have proof of the ad.

just about every web ad has disclaimers about typos, but internet prices are frequently lower. the incredible price you see might very possibly be what they will sell the vehicle for.

case in point: i searched cars.com & autotrader (plus print ads & dealerships) at least daily, for about a year looking for a specific jeep (grand cherokee limited with hemi, & as many other options as possible:rolleyes1 ), max milage, in one of 2 years b/c of body style change......but i wanted an awesome deal.
when i found one (of about 4) that met my criteria, they were located in another state.

finally found one about 25 miles away, called immediately & went right over.
the car showed in their system but was nowhere on the lot !!! :confused3

with a bit of patience & insistance (i said we had no problem waiting there until they found it;) ), it turned out that one of the salesmen had taken it home a few months prior. the internet ad ppl assumed it was on the lot for all those months & not selling, so reduced the price dramatically.

btw, not only did we get exactly what i wanted for an incredible price, the our salesman was such a pleasure to deal with that we bought him a really nice "thank you" gift :cool1:

definately call to ensure it is not sold, print out the ad, & get there ASAP ~ good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter