Car hire with Alamo - Are these prices right?

chrish2

Earning My Ears
First time sorting out car hire for Florida and just wanted to check what rates are typical. I think I have a good quote from alamo but it is much cheeper than what we use to pay when my Dad sorted out the car hire. (My mum seems to think it use to be around the £200 /week mark)

Using Alamo UK /brits they are quoting for 1 week car hire starting 16th June 2015 at
Economy: £112.33
Compact: £120.31
Intermediate: £128.27

Comparing the same with all the 'package inclusions' using the USA website works out to be
Economy: $568.43 ~ £365 (+ 224%)
Compact: $579.45 ~ £372.28 (+ 208%)
'Midsize'(guess is Intermediate): $590.48 ~ £379.36 (+ 194%)

Even before adding the various insurances in they all are more than the UK site.

Also interesting, picking up at an airport or a hotel (the latter is our plan) is the same price. I thought car hire at the airport was more expensive?

Are the first set of prices correct/inline with what people expect to pay?

Also I know it sounds daft but do they actually include the hire of the car?

Comparing the same with all the 'package inclusions' using the USA website works out to be

Even before adding the various insurances in they all are more than the UK site.

never, ever, rent a car on the US sites when you're from europe
(sole execption is with Avis, where you have to enter your country of residence and they display the local (UK for example) rate

European sites have negociated packages, and they always come cheaper than booking on a US site.
on top of this, they are all inclusive packages.

Also interesting, picking up at an airport or a hotel (the latter is our plan) is the same price. I thought car hire at the airport was more expensive?

no difference on the european sites. Whatever excess fees (airport taxes for example) seem to be mirrored at city locations (or so it seems) and prices are consistent throughout florida

Are the first set of prices correct/inline with what people expect to pay?

yes. for that time of year, and with the Brits code, it looks about right, even though if I bet people like Wayne could find and even better rate :p

Also I know it sounds daft but do they actually include the hire of the car?

err.... you're renting a car, right ? So for the price you get a car, and insurance

the only thing not included is fuel, gps, child seat, and so on
those are payable locally

USA prices will always be much more expensive than using a UK broker/company.

The prices you got look about right - just checked USrentacar for the same dates as a comparison and Alamo is £115 for an economy and £111 with Dollar.

Thought id ask here instead of making a new thread,
do you know if May is a high time for rental? as i am looking for may 3rd until the 17th and its coming in more then my 16night rental for last june into july yet it will be a much smaller car! I rented a dodge last time and it only cost me $420 however a small car is coming up at nearly £300 for 14nights this time when im looking,

Another hire car question, so like Tinkerpea I'll keep in the same place. when's the best time to book hire ar, as early as possible or do they ever have 'sales'? Alamo looks a good option for us as we only need for 1st 5 days of holiday (already noticed Week is same price) so being able to collect from airport and return to site on Disney is an asset.

Thought id ask here instead of making a new thread,
do you know if May is a high time for rental? as i am looking for may 3rd until the 17th and its coming in more then my 16night rental for last june into july yet it will be a much smaller car! I rented a dodge last time and it only cost me $420 however a small car is coming up at nearly £300 for 14nights this time when im looking,

just made a dummy booling on alamo with the brits code
for may 3rd to may 17th a fullsize car is at £274.87 (dodge charger or similar)
:confused3

Another hire car question, so like Tinkerpea I'll keep in the same place. when's the best time to book hire ar, as early as possible or do they ever have 'sales'? Alamo looks a good option for us as we only need for 1st 5 days of holiday (already noticed Week is same price) so being able to collect from airport and return to site on Disney is an asset.

you won't get a sale on the alamo website, best thing you'll get is the brits code deal

paying well ahead of time can only protect you from a price hike (or from spending the money on something else :p )
but there is no hurry.

you can also look on third party sites, they sometimes have better deals but always check the insurance coverage and compare like for like

Hetz and Avis do have sales and the prices go down.

Not seen it with the other major companies but you can shop around the different consolidator sites to find the cheapest price for them.

We booked last time (and intend to use them again this time) through Virgin atlantic and got a very reasonable price, much lower then anywhere else. We are also flying with them but have not booked a flydrive with Virgin holidays as this way is much cheaper-worth a look for someone :)

We booked last time (and intend to use them again this time) through Virgin atlantic and got a very reasonable price, much lower then anywhere else. We are also flying with them but have not booked a flydrive with Virgin holidays as this way is much cheaper-worth a look for someone :)

Virgin holidays flydrive very expensive : sat 7th Nov 2015 two pax, full size all inclusive £1994, same deal with BA £1271!!!

We have booked our car hire through Virgin holidays as it worked out cheaper than Alamo with the Brits discount. Try searching for car hire desperately through virgin

Thanks everyone, seems cheaper via Virgin for us too. Think I'll book in Jan when I get paid, another thing ticked on list :thumbsup2

I just wanted to jump on this thread and say how much I disagree with never booking on the US websites. I have done this with Alamo on every trip I have booked with them (I flipflop between using Alamo and Avis).

I actually use the Alamo.com website and on the Contract ID I put in BRITS as the code and I get a better price for like for like than if I went on the Alamo.co.uk/BRITS website and always have done.

Just putting it out there :)

just made a dummy booling on alamo with the brits code
for may 3rd to may 17th a fullsize car is at £274.87 (dodge charger or similar)
:confused3

It keeps telling me I can't use the brit code for my dates?? Argh driving me mad now lol.
Can you tell me the code so I know it's correct please
Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter