car rental for 19 year old

st_claire

Earning My Ears
Hi. When I go on my trip with my boyfriend next may we would like to rent a car, but he is the driver and will only be 19. (He's actually turning 20 during the trip.) We are having a hard time finding a place that will rent without charging huge fees. I searched the threads but they all seem to be for those 21 and over. Any advice for those 18 to 21? I would really like to find a place that waves the underage fees, but so far that seems impossible. He has a flawless driving record, a credit card, and he's a member of AAA, in case any of that would make a difference. Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

I believe the minimum age for rental is 21. You might check the websites individually or check expedia or travelocity.
As to waiving the underage fee, good luck, that is not going to happen.

However, L&M will charge a higher fee. Personally I doubt anyplace is going to waive it regardless of all the factors you list. Have you considered moving to a hotel with a shuttle or a Disney hotel? The rental car savings would make it worth it in your case.

I found a few places that will rent to us, but they want $550 for two weeks (economy size). That's about twice what it would cost without the underage fee. I'll keep looking though.

As for changing hotels, we're getting a great deal on where we are staying so I don't think moving is an option either. It's $274 per week and it has a bedroom, and living room with a pull out couch, and a kitchen.

Many corporations have negotiated agreements with a "preferred" car rental agency. The agreements include insurance and usually waive the charge for drivers under 25. Many also allow employees to get the same terms for leisure travel as they do for business. If your BF works for a big company, he should check to see if it has arranged for special rates that may be available to him. He could also check with his college or university if he is enrolled anywhere as a student.

FWIW, that is the only way I can think of that will allow you to rent a car without paying a hefty surcharge for a driver under 25.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter