• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car rental to drive to WDW?

twinboysmom

DIS Veteran
Hi all. We are going to drive from the Houston area. We have two newer cars but one gets terrible gas mileage. We are considering renting a vehicle to drive to Disney to put the wear and tear on a rental. Any thoughts?

Our neighbors have rented cars to travel for vacation as they have leased cars and don't want to put the extra mileage on their cars. Just make sure that it includes unlimited out of state mileage - they ended up having a surcharge once as the unlimited mileage was just for in-state driving.

Make sure to read all the info about your specific booking. Along with making sure you have unlimited mileage, know that sometimes certain states are disallowed.

They won’t know if all goes well with a round trip rental, but if you break down, have an accident, get a ticket, or an unpaid toll in a disallowed state, then it won’t be pretty.

The last few times we all drove, we rented a vehicle. We like the extra room, the reliability, and the newness of the vehicle seems like a quicker start to our vacation. An excellent way to not stress your everyday vehicles on vacation.

Used to drive from Boston to Bristol, TN for the NASCAR race every August with 2 other friends and we would always rent a car as to not put wear and tear on our own cars. Sometimes it's also nice to have a different car to drive as if you are driving your own car it may not feel like you are on vacation. Last summer we went to Disneyland and when it came time to pick out my rental I had the choice between a Nissan Pathfinder and a Ford Explorer. I went with the Nissan as I have an Explorer and the rental had the same options my car has.

If you rent from one of the major car rental places it will usually include unlimited miles and you can travel in any state, but as others have said check the fine print, especially with smaller companies that deal primarily with auto insurance rentals that you would get after an accident. I know Enterprise used to limit you to what states you could travel and had a mileage limit, but that may have changed now that they have expanded to airport locations.

Due to some temporary mechanical uncertainty. I took a rental from Northern WI to St. Louis with Hertz. I asked the rental agent to confirm it was no problem, his response was, as long as you don't take it into Mexico, we're good.

We’ve done it, and we’re trying to do it again this summer, but prices aren’t cooperating. We have two little kids and go to the beach after Disney, so we like to rent a minivan. Last summer we did a two week rental for $550. This summer I can’t get anything under $800 yet. Check off airport prices - they’re usually less, but often don’t include things like a second driver. My husband loves to drive, and I could take it or leave it, so this doesn’t bother us.

Second driver cost also varies depending on company, state your rental originated in and what associations you have. I get a free additional driver from Hertz due to having AAA. I believe it's Alamo that includes a second driver if you are a member of their loyalty program.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter