Car rentals for August 2023

How does the Autoslash work. We have a Hertz rental for a SUV for $511 total for 8 days, I'm hoping that's good. It's thru Priceline. Do we pay Priceline, do we pay Hertz, or do we pay Autoslash? And how and when do we pay?
One last question, we originally made the reservation with pick up at 12:30pm, but our flight only lands at 12:10, I doubt we will make it to the Hertz by 12:30pm, is that going to be a problem? Will they still hold and honor our reservation if say we don't get there until 1 or 1:30pm?
If you book a pay later rate through Autoslash you will be paying Hertz after the completion of your rental. Hertz T&Cs say two hours after scheduled pick up time, in my experience it's usually longer. If you enter your flight info and your flight is delayed Hertz will take care of you.

If you book a pay later rate through Autoslash you will be paying Hertz after the completion of your rental. Hertz T&Cs say two hours after scheduled pick up time, in my experience it's usually longer. If you enter your flight info and your flight is delayed Hertz will take care of you.
Thank you so much for that information. Yes, we had a pay later quote.

I just booked for my August trip (8/23-8/26) using my corporate account on Avis and it was $245.59 for a mid-size. Checked carrentalsavers and nothing was cheaper. Tracking with autoslash and hoping for a price drop before the trip.

Just booked this morning using car rental savers and got a standard car with Dollar for $191.30. (8/23 - 8/26).

Our mid-size SUV with Hertz for 8/15 - 8/21 has gone from $462 to $306 using car rental savers over the past month.

Those that have reservations with Budget be aware, the situation at MCO is not good at all. If your flight is early in the day you might be ok but make sure you sign up for Fastbreak.
wholeheartedly agree with this! The line at Budget at MCO can sometimes take hours, but if you are a Fastbreak member, you can bypass the line and head straight down to the pick up area. After waiting about 30 minutes and not moving an inch a few years ago, one of the employees decided to share this little morsel with us, and we were in our car less than 10 minutes later.

Our mid-size SUV with Hertz for 8/15 - 8/21 has gone from $462 to $306 using car rental savers over the past month.
Thank you for sharing this! I was able to get a small SUV with Hertz for $40 more than an off-airport vendor. I will keep an eye out to see if it drops more, but I feel much better being on-airport and with one of the major companies :)

I was just able to book a car direct with Avis 8/27-9/3 for $302. This is the first time I’ve seen it cheaper to go direct through Avis than through Costco. I’ve been checking for the past few weeks and this is the cheapest I’ve seen by over $100! Not a huge fan of Avis, due to poor customer service and dirty interiors, but I’ll manage for that price.

I was just able to book a car direct with Avis 8/27-9/3 for $302. This is the first time I’ve seen it cheaper to go direct through Avis than through Costco. I’ve been checking for the past few weeks and this is the cheapest I’ve seen by over $100! Not a huge fan of Avis, due to poor customer service and dirty interiors, but I’ll manage for that price.
Thank you for sharing, our dates were also cheaper direct with Avis than through Costco! I would never had thought to check direct because I've also never seen it cheaper than Costco!

Thank you for sharing, our dates were also cheaper direct with Avis than through Costco! I would never had thought to check direct because I've also never seen it cheaper than Costco!
Interesting. There was some chatter here also about how it's been cheaper to book direct than through Costco.

I just secured a rental with Avis from august 12-22 there’s a 35% off going on now, and they must not have a lot of people wanting trucks…. For 10 days they quoted $107!!! A Toyota Tacoma. A Dodge Ram was 118. We drive a gmc truck at home so this was a no brainer. All in for 10 days was $190!!!!

I just secured a rental with Avis from august 12-22 there’s a 35% off going on now, and they must not have a lot of people wanting trucks…. For 10 days they quoted $107!!! A Toyota Tacoma. A Dodge Ram was 118. We drive a gmc truck at home so this was a no brainer. All in for 10 days was $190!!!!
I saw great truck deals too. Does anyone know how this works with luggage? We’d need all 5 seats, so is it OK to throw luggage in the truck bed while we drive to the hotel? Obviously we’d put it in the cab if we stopped anywhere between the hotel and airport.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I got the alert this morning.. $400 for 23 days ($18/day).. I've never seen anything like it before!

We've only ever rented economy/compact vehicles before this so it will be quite the change for us.. any tips or recommendations renting a pickup truck, please share! But with nearly $500 savings compared to our other reservation its too good to pass up? Even if we go through a lot more gas seems difficult to not come out ahead.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I got the alert this morning.. $400 for 23 days ($18/day).. I've never seen anything like it before!

We've only ever rented economy/compact vehicles before this so it will be quite the change for us.. any tips or recommendations renting a pickup truck, please share! But with nearly $500 savings compared to our other reservation its too good to pass up? Even if we go through a lot more gas seems difficult to not come out ahead.
there's no tips its basically the same as an suv! once you're inside you can't tell the difference. most full size suv's are built on a truck chassis anyway. you're higher up off the ground and i think can see better.

I saw great truck deals too. Does anyone know how this works with luggage? We’d need all 5 seats, so is it OK to throw luggage in the truck bed while we drive to the hotel? Obviously we’d put it in the cab if we stopped anywhere between the hotel and airport.
we plan to put our stuff in the truck bed as well. unless it's pouring down rain, there should be no issue.

We got a cheap rate for a truck once and yes, the luggage in the back got rained on on our way to the hotel! LOL!

5 people in a truck?! Sounds miserable. I’d research the situation to make sure that’s gonna be enough room for your crew.

where did you set an alarm?

5 people in a truck?! Sounds miserable. I’d research the situation to make sure that’s gonna be enough room for your crew.
Kiddos are 12, 9, and 5, so no adults on the back, plus not too much car time this trip. Then again, we had 3 car seats in the back row of a Civic for about 3 years, so maybe our perspectives on car space are a bit skewed :)

I switched weeks, and was salty as lost my better rate for week before, as end of August now, and was sitting in 425 for a compact suv at Alamo, yesterday, went down to 368 on Costco website. Today, now 437 at Costco and 439 at Alamo. Sigh. For a week? 26 August to 2 September.

I will keep checking until the day before we leave. I am a rental rinse and repeater to find the lowest price I can.

I have been seeing Avis having better rates. But I’m not a member there, and I’d rather just stick with Alamo. Though I have used National and the one time I used Hertz when at MCO.

As for my end of September trip, started at 900 for the two weeks, I’m now down to 629, for same Costco Alamo booked, compact suv. Hoping to see even lower. Have more time to keep checking. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter