Car slams into parade in WI

Darrell is getting three hots and a cot for the rest of his life in prison (Wisconsin doesn't have the death penalty). None of this is about his punishment. However, for the charges people seem to want (hate crime, domestic terrorism), in court it would be necessary to prove his motivation, instead of just proving that he is the guy who purposely ran over a bunch of people who weren't bothering him.

If they were in court and trying to prove his motivation, they would be looking at the moment where he passed by the end of the parade and got to the point where the marchers were taking up the whole street. That was where he made the decision to keep going. There isn't much way to determine exactly what was in his mind at the time he decided to keep driving at speed with people ahead of him. Unless he wants to talk about it, nobody knows.

Darrell is getting three hots and a cot for the rest of his life in prison (Wisconsin doesn't have the death penalty). None of this is about his punishment. However, for the charges people seem to want (hate crime, domestic terrorism), in court it would be necessary to prove his motivation, instead of just proving that he is the guy who purposely ran over a bunch of people who weren't bothering him.

If they were in court and trying to prove his motivation, they would be looking at the moment where he passed by the end of the parade and got to the point where the marchers were taking up the whole street. That was where he made the decision to keep going. There isn't much way to determine exactly what was in his mind at the time he decided to keep driving at speed with people ahead of him. Unless he wants to talk about it, nobody knows.
I understand that as a matter of legal strategy there's no reason to bring anything complicating into a slam dunk case which nets you 6 consecutive (I hope) life sentences. However, I find it interesting that the WHY will be completely subsumed in the WHAT in this case. 🤔

Judge an article by its own merits, rather than the name of its outlet. Journalism in general is in a horrific state today, with politicization widespread among all outlets, less experienced reporters, lower quality writing and proofreading, and more ethical lapses than ever.
I'm not expert in journalism, but I suspect laziness also plays a major role.

I understand that as a matter of legal strategy there's no reason to bring anything complicating into a slam dunk case which nets you 6 consecutive (I hope) life sentences. However, I find it interesting that the WHY will be completely subsumed in the WHAT in this case. 🤔
I'll be satisfied if the court system just fulfills the bare minimum of their responsibilities to the community.

In 39 years of this criminal's useless life, they haven't done much at all. He did a handful of years in state prison in Nevada for a heinous crime -- nothing in Wisconsin.

Based on what I've seen, I have very little confidence in Wisconsin prosecutors or judges. To me, "Midwest Nice" just comes across as "Midwest Weak.."

I don't know that nobody doesn't care about his motives because I think honestly everyone does, but it is truly hard, even outside of the legal system to prove what someone's motivations are without doubt. Every day we go through the motions of discussing with friends and family and strangers and we have to sometimes guess what someone's intentions are and sometimes we're wrong. Incidents happen where initial thoughts in the news and community are wrong and then sometimes they are spot on. It's just a hard thing all around.

This community in WI and friends and family members of those impacted of those just there to witness it may always wonder what exactly the motivations were and it may end up being found what they were. I would never speak to someone's inner feelings but I don't know personally if it's worse that someone did something just because they viewed you as in their way (so a careless viewpoint on human life) or that there is a particular attribute of yourself that you cannot change (like your skin color or your ethnicity or age) or a belief such as your religion that someone held such hatred for or such disdain for that they would specifically target you because both are not something that is a "me" problem and in both cases the loss of life or injury to a person (both physical and psychological) are unfathomable really.

I'll be satisfied if the court system just fulfills the bare minimum of their responsibilities to the community.

In 39 years of this criminal's useless life, they haven't done much at all. He did a handful of years in state prison in Nevada for a heinous crime -- nothing in Wisconsin.

Based on what I've seen, I have very little confidence in Wisconsin prosecutors or judges. To me, "Midwest Nice" just comes across as "Midwest Weak.."
Umm... Wow. I'll leave it at that.

There is no such thing as consecutive life sentences in WI. The penalty for 1st degree murder is life in prison, the only leeway the judge has in sentencing is eligibility for parole. The minimum is 20 years, the judge can set any date for the earliest possibility of parole after that date up to no parole.

There is no such thing as consecutive life sentences in WI. The penalty for 1st degree murder is life in prison, the only leeway the judge has in sentencing is eligibility for parole. The minimum is 20 years, the judge can set any date for the earliest possibility of parole after that date up to no parole.

Then hopefully there won't be the chance of parole

So if you kill one person or 100, it doesn't matter? That doesn't sound right.

If that's the case, what's the sense of charging him with six murders? Seriously, how do you deal with a serial murderer or serial rapist?

Last edited:
So if you kill one person or 100, it doesn't matter? That doesn't sound right.

If that's the case, what's the sense of charging him with six murders?
It sounds better in the media? We all know that is half the reason politicians do anything.

EACarlson said:
There is no such thing as consecutive life sentences in WI.
@EACarlson, Are you sure about consecutive sentences?

I found this in Wisconsin Statute 973.12 (2m)(b) 2.

"2. If a court provides that a determinate sentence is to run consecutive to another determinate sentence, the person sentenced shall serve the periods of confinement in prison under the sentences consecutively and the terms of extended supervision under the sentences consecutively and in the order in which the sentences have been pronounced."

The language is the same for "indeterminate" sentences in section (d)(2). "Indeterminate" appears to include life sentences or any sentence with no possibility of parole.

For those who don't understand the terms, "concurrent" means served at the same time -- so, for example, any number of 5 year sentences served concurrently would only be 5 years.

"Consecutive" means the defendant serves one sentence, then the next, then the next, etc. So three 5 year sentences served consecutively would equal 15 years.

Last edited:
@EACarlson, Are you sure about consecutive sentences?

I found this in Wisconsin Statute 973.12 (2m)(b) 2.

"2. If a court provides that a determinate sentence is to run consecutive to another determinate sentence, the person sentenced shall serve the periods of confinement in prison under the sentences consecutively and the terms of extended supervision under the sentences consecutively and in the order in which the sentences have been pronounced."

The language is the same for "indeterminate" sentences in section (d)(2). "Indeterminate" appears to include life sentences or any sentence with no possibility of parole.

For those who don't understand the terms, "concurrent" means served at the same time -- so, for example, any number of 5 year sentences served concurrently would only be 5 years.

"Consecutive" means the defendant serves one sentence, then the next, then the next, etc. So three 5 year sentences served consecutively would equal 15 years.
When it comes to life sentences yes, there is no consecutive life sentences. The court pronounces the sentence is life with either no possibility of "extended supervision" or not until after a specified date that must be at least 20 years in the future. That was the discussion Wednesday on a Milwaukee radio show between two lawyers.

When it comes to life sentences yes, there is no consecutive life sentences. The court pronounces the sentence is life with either no possibility of "extended supervision" or not until after a specified date that must be at least 20 years in the future. That was the discussion Wednesday on a Milwaukee radio show between two lawyers.
In that case, maybe federal domestic terrorism charges would make sense (assuming there's evidence to support them).

I don't know, and attorneys on talk shows are not always correct. The wording of the Wisconsin statute is virtually unintelligible, so I'm not sure.

OTOH, I found one news story where just 3 months ago ( August 2021) an 84 year-old man was sentenced to TWO consecutive life sentences in Wisconsin for a double murder that actually occurred in 1976. The local police did a classic job of tricking him into a DNA sample, which undoubtedly came from a tip from someone.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/wisconsin-man-consecutive-life-sentences-1976-double-homicide
From the news story: "At Friday's sentencing, Judge James Morrison said he handed down consecutive life sentences due to the "depraved" and "unspeakable" nature of the crimes, Fox-affiliate WLUK reported.

In WI, there is absolutely no way to get out before 20 years if convicted?

I know we’re talking about 1st degree murder in this case, but the man who killed my cousin was convicted of 2nd degree murder (DUI) in my state. He was sentenced to 20 to life, but gets credit for time served (2 years because of the pandemic) and can earn up to 40% time off for good behavior, so we’re realistically looking at 6 years before he’s eligible. It’s disappointing to put it mildly.

In WI, there is absolutely no way to get out before 20 years if convicted?

I know we’re talking about 1st degree murder in this case, but the man who killed my cousin was convicted of 2nd degree murder (DUI) in my state. He was sentenced to 20 to life, but gets credit for time served (2 years because of the pandemic) and can earn up to 40% time off for good behavior, so we’re realistically looking at 6 years before he’s eligible. It’s disappointing to put it mildly.
In the real world, there is no way to insure that there's "...no way to get out before..."

Cases get appealed, sentences get appealed, and you never know how a court or an individual judge might rule a few years from now. That's the reason for consecutive sentences...to protect against changes down the road.

In the real world, there is no way to insure that there's "...no way to get out before..."

Cases get appealed, sentences get appealed, and you never know how a court or an individual judge might rule a few years from now. That's the reason for consecutive sentences...to protect against changes down the road.
That’s what I’ve always thought so was surprised to read that part about “anytime after the 20 years”.

In our case, all 4 felony convictions are being served concurrently. A large part has to do with some lax sentencing laws in my state.

That’s what I’ve always thought so was surprised to read that part about “anytime after the 20 years”.

In our case, all 4 felony convictions are being served concurrently. A large part has to do with some lax sentencing laws in my state.
Yes. Local and state laws and practices vary hugely from one place to another...as they should. And even what is written in the laws is subject to interpretation which can change over time. And appeals can be filed, and the process can be dragged out literally for decades.

ETA: If you want to know how long, look up the case of a guy I met named John Errol "Lucky" Ferguson -- 35 years from sentence to execution.

Last edited:

There is a BIG difference between Milwaukee and Waukesha counties. I’m sorry, but it really irritates me when people paint an entire state with the same brush. There is a lot more to Wisconsin than Milwaukee. And that is coming from someone who has lived in Wisconsin for 42 years (10 in Milwaukee, 11 in Waukesha, the rest in Waukesha county).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter