• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Car vs. Bus advise please

lindamh

Earning My Ears
Hi, I'm hoping some of you folks with more experience than me can give me some advise. My husband was hurt in a work-related accident in February, and is still considered temporarily totally disabled. He crushed both heels in a fall from a ladder. He is just beginning to walk with crutches, but can only walk very short distances. I am attending a conference at Disney and he will be accompanying me. We have been placed at POFQ - I've already called and requested a first floor room, and close to the food court, so he will be reasonably self-sufficient when I'm at the conference.

My question is about the best form of transportation. We plan to spend very little time in the parks, but we would like to spend one evening having dinner at Epcot. What would be the best way to get there - meaning, involving the least walking? Take a bus from FQ, or use our car with our handicapped parking permit? Which do you think would be easier? I'm also concerned about him trying to get on and off a bus with crutches and his walking boots.

Any advise would be very much appreciated. If you have been through this, and have any other tips for us, I'll take all the help I can get! Thanks for reading and helping if you can.

Linda

I drive to Epcot if I have a car. The handicapped parking there is very close to the entrance and you never have to wait in lines for the buses. I've never stayed at POFQ, so I don't know exactly where their buses are, but I use the car everywhere except MK. I hope your husband heals quickly and you have a wonderful time!

lindamh said:
What would be the best way to get there - meaning, involving the least walking?

also, don't forget that there's a LOT of distance to cover once you get through the turnstiles until you get to your restaurant. you could consider borrowing a (free) wheelchair from your resort and using disney busses. this would really be the best way to avoid walking--if he's up for being pushed in a wc. i know i hated it when i first started. but some things either can't be avoided or really are for the best. i like using my ecv much better. gives me more control. these are available for rent, see the faq, and might be a good thought to consider, too.
-dj

Wanted to add, too...we have valet parked at the Beach Club (free w/ handicap placard) and took the boat to the international gateway at Epcot if we are just visiting the WS (for dining or whatnot).

Thank you so much for your advise! You've given me several things to think about.

DJ - you've got him pegged. He doesn't want to use the wheelchair. He's been in one pretty much 24/7 since the accident and he's determined he's NOT getting in one again. Men! He may sing a different tune once we get there.

Thanks again,
Linda

A lot depends on where you expect to be eating to determine which entrance you want to come in. For example, Coral Reef, San Angel, Akershus or 9 Dragons you might be better off using the front gate; anything else in World Showcase the International Gateway may be better.

In any event, no matter where you go it will be a long walk.

Generally for Epcot the medical parking is closer to the gate than the bus terminal is.

Last, Please ask the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Thank you Cheshire Figment!

Not only was that a very good list of questions, but I admit to getting a chuckle out of it as I read the list! :rotfl: Now if I can just get my husband to give the appropriate replies!!

Based on everyone's good advise, I'm considering parking at Boarkwalk or Beach Club and taking the boat to the International Gateway. (I didn't realize that was an option - we've always been very conscious of NOT parking at a resort to get to a theme park. Perhaps under these circumstances, it's okay?) From the International Gatway we can walk to the boat ramp and take the boat to Germany, which is the restaurant that hubby considers his "home away from home". With a couple of bench stops along the way, I'm thinking that might be our best bet. I'm going to keep working on the wheelchair option, however!

Thanks for your help,
Linda

hey at least he agreed to get the temporary disability drivers pass.

mother, just last year, agreed to one. She can barely walk and it was causing me pain when we stopped at reststop to watch her try to get to the restrooms....

I finally had to get mad to get her to agreed to one.

she has been doing the wheelchairs at WDW for around 10 years.

that was easy - I had been trying to get her to agree and she won't.

will I had to have surgery (knee) - the doctor would only allow the trip if I got a wheelchair.

I used the wheelchair more to help me walk (much better than physical theray)....anyway she decided since I wasn't using the thing - she might as welll.....

that was the end of her saying she didn't need one.... on that trip I really needed it a couple of times and boy she actually was insulted that I wanted to use the wheelchair I got for me.... :rotfl: :goodvibes

Anyway I hope your husband sees the light and gets over his pride so your business trip(???) will be everything that you want it to be.

oh while you are gone to business meeting - the wheelchair has wheels so the person riding it can use it without being pushed. :rolleyes1 :dance3:

your original questions - the wheelchair are heavy and I mean heavy - but I forget you are going with your husband and he can probably easily lift the thing. I was going to say to use the buses because of the wheelchair lift - so you aren't dragging that weight around. but hey you don't need that advice - because that is something he can do!!!! :moped:

Thanks for sharing your experience Pat. I'm going to keep trying on the wheelchair, but I'll be the one doing all the work. He can't lift it and add the additional stress to his feet. Apparently they're working hard enough just carrying him around! So I've learned to be the pack mule these past few months. Good for my biceps!

Oh, and it really IS a business trip, I promise! :teeth: With him out of work since February, we're lucky that the state is picking up the tab for a hotel room for each participant, so that we can bring a family member if we choose. We were able to add an extra night or two on, if we wanted, at the reduced conference rate. That's the only way we could afford to go at this point, and we're just very grateful because we both could use a couple of days away at this point. (Don't get me wrong, we are very grateful for all that workmen's comp has done for us. I know that many people are in much worse shape when they get hurt off the job. But it's still been a struggle to make ends meet with the reduced pay checks and some other traumas that happened along the way. We are both VERY thankful that we have come out of this in as good a shape as we have - physically, financially, mentally and as a couple.)

Linda

I just read this an it reminded me of me. I was in a car accident quite a few years ago and I said I would NEVER use crutches, cane or a wheelchair again. OK now its 18 years later, I need a new knee replacement and have arthritis I cry myself to sleep even with the pills. I took my DS4 at the time to WDW. I told my family I would walk it and just suffer the pain. After we were in the park for about 2 hours and I was about to drop. I realized this wasnt about me it was about what was best for my family. Had my DH take the kids to have a early snack and cool off in a CS. I went back to the entrance and rented an EVC as my DR had told me to just before I left his office for my trip. OK now I was not officially handicapped but I was unable to walk for more than 20 min without resting and sitting for 10 min. I went back for my checkup when I returned home an DR told me Yes I was temp handicap and to fill out for a placard for my car. I now rent the EVC not just for me but so my family will enjoy WDW without having to worry if I am in such pain and I am just suffering it for their sake.

My DS7 now asked just as we enter the park if I will be needing the EVC today. Or if we are just going in for a few to eat or watch the shows. I dont use the EVC if I think I will be ok for a few hours in the park with lots of rest for me and DS. I leave for those that will be in the park all day and will not have a pleasant time without it. :moped:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter