Cardinals football player catches ride with random family to game

This is what happens when you buy an expensive car, but don’t spring for the spare tire. :duck:

Actually, who knows *why* he didn’t have a spare? Maybe he just didn’t know where to find it. :confused3

I, for one, sure felt dumb when I couldn’t find ours in our mini-van years ago, and later found out it was under the car between the two front wheels (I *had* looked under the car, but in the back & didn’t see it, of course). I had called AAA thinking I was going to need to be towed to the tire shop. Well, when the tow driver got there, he knew *exactly* where the spare was. I was pretty embarrassed, but also very glad I wasn’t going to have to get a taxi with all the kids to follow our car to Discount. That guy got a very nice tip!

The irony was that I remembered that we paid extra for a full-sized spare, instead of a stupid little donut-type. (DH calls it a toy tire 😂) so I was kinda half freaking out and half mad thinking that we paid extra $$ and here I was with no spare tire at all. :rolleyes2

In the end it was nice to be able to drop off the blown tire/wheel at Discount on my way home and go back a day (maybe 2?) later and it took five minutes to swap them back while I was inside. No worries about only driving 50 miles @ no more than 50 mph.

☑️ Quick PSA— when is the last time you checked the air in your spare tire? If you go to Discount (or wherever) for a free air check, ask them to check the spare as well. I think they should do it automatically… they don’t, but you just have to ask. It would suck to change your tire, and find out your spare is flat too.

It's great that they gave him the ride (how does a sophomore in college afford a BMW?) but that means someone in the back seat didn't have a seatbelt?

This is what happens when you buy an expensive car, but don’t spring for the spare tire. :duck:

Actually, who knows *why* he didn’t have a spare? Maybe he just didn’t know where to find it. :confused3

I, for one, sure felt dumb when I couldn’t find ours in our mini-van years ago, and later found out it was under the car between the two front wheels (I *had* looked under the car, but in the back & didn’t see it, of course). I had called AAA thinking I was going to need to be towed to the tire shop. Well, when the tow driver got there, he knew *exactly* where the spare was. I was pretty embarrassed, but also very glad I wasn’t going to have to get a taxi with all the kids to follow our car to Discount. That guy got a very nice tip!

The irony was that I remembered that we paid extra for a full-sized spare, instead of a stupid little donut-type. (DH calls it a toy tire 😂) so I was kinda half freaking out and half mad thinking that we paid extra $$ and here I was with no spare tire at all. :rolleyes2

In the end it was nice to be able to drop off the blown tire/wheel at Discount on my way home and go back a day (maybe 2?) later and it took five minutes to swap them back while I was inside. No worries about only driving 50 miles @ no more than 50 mph.

☑️ Quick PSA— when is the last time you checked the air in your spare tire? If you go to Discount (or wherever) for a free air check, ask them to check the spare as well. I think they should do it automatically… they don’t, but you just have to ask. It would suck to change your tire, and find out your spare is flat too.
Most BMW’s come with run-flat tires so don’t come with a “spare”. If the run-flat fails, you’re stranded …this is pretty rare. 🙄

It's great that they gave him the ride (how does a sophomore in college afford a BMW?) but that means someone in the back seat didn't have a seatbelt?
I don’t get the sophomore statement. Have you never bought a used car? And even if your assumption is that he bought it new when in college, I had plenty of people with BMW, Porsche, Mercedes when I was in college 40-years ago. Unless it’s because he was a black athlete you make that comment….

30% of cars sold today do not have a spare, either full size, or temporary. Not even as an option.

The last two cars I bought do not have spares.

One came with an inflator and tires that are self repairing. If I get something in the tire, I should be able to pull it out and re inflate the tire. All done, no need for a patch or repair. In practice it worked. I noticed I had something in my tire but it was still holding air. Afraid to really try it out I drove to Discount Tire. They looked up what to do, pulled the object out and tested to see if the tire was leaking. It was not. It had worked exactly as designed and I have been driving on the tire for a year. I now have great confidence in the tires ability to self repair.

The other came with an inflator that will inject the slime as it refills the tire. Again I should pull the object out of the tire and inflate having set the setting on the inflator to slime mode. Then drive to a tire repair shop and get a proper patch installed.

Great story! Thank you for sharing it (even if the DIS never fails to find fault in record time).

The article said the man had 3 children in the backseat. Most all cars have 3 seatbelts in the back seat. Why do you think someone didn't have a seatbelt?

The story mentions the family was driving an Infinity QX80 which seats 7.

Three kids, two parents, and one football player.

The article said the man had 3 children in the backseat. Most all cars have 3 seatbelts in the back seat. Why do you think someone didn't have a seatbelt?
Because the article said the wife got in the back seat with the 3 kids - most cars do not have 4 seatbelts in the back seat.

Reactions: GAN
30% of cars sold today do not have a spare, either full size, or temporary. Not even as an option.

The last two cars I bought do not have spares.

One came with an inflator and tires that are self repairing. If I get something in the tire, I should be able to pull it out and re inflate the tire. All done, no need for a patch or repair. In practice it worked. I noticed I had something in my tire but it was still holding air. Afraid to really try it out I drove to Discount Tire. They looked up what to do, pulled the object out and tested to see if the tire was leaking. It was not. It had worked exactly as designed and I have been driving on the tire for a year. I now have great confidence in the tires ability to self repair.

The other came with an inflator that will inject the slime as it refills the tire. Again I should pull the object out of the tire and inflate having set the setting on the inflator to slime mode. Then drive to a tire repair shop and get a proper patch installed.

This is how my new car is. There is a little kit with an inflator, etc. but no spare. I have fortunately not had to test this out yet.

Most BMW’s come with run-flat tires so don’t come with a “spare”. If the run-flat fails, you’re stranded …this is pretty rare. 🙄
Can confirm! I own and have owned quite a few and none have come with a spare. When I bought my first one, I asked if I could buy a spare tire. It was a no. Knock on wood, the one time my tire went flat (not the low pressure that tends to happen anytime a drastic temperature change occurs), I was able to still drive on it and get to a tire place. Good story, nice to read positive news articles!

It's pretty common now, even without run-flats. Tesla doesn't have a spare or run-flats, and doesn't even have any kind of repair kit. Some manufacturers include an inflator kit with a sealant.

Not sure why the run-flats would have failed, although often many owners just get regular tires when they need to be replaced. I knew someone who had a high performance car that came with run-flats and no spare. I looked at it and he clearly replaced the tires with regular tires. He said he just carried a can of Fix-A-Flat and if that didn't work he had his cell phone.

Many cars leave out the spare tire to save weight/cost/space. The bad thing with run-flat tires is that since they aren't expected to fail, if you DO have an issue tire shops may not have a replacement in stock. Was driving on the freeway a few years ago and someone in the lane next to me ran over some debris that flung toward my car and put a gash in the sideway of one of my tires. Seemed OK till I got to the destination. Stopped at a local tire store who said they don't stock that type of tire. Sidewall damage is typically not repairable. Was able to return home but the local tire shop had to place an order for a replacement tire.

I prefer those space-saving spare tires so at least you can get to your destination and have time to get a replacement tire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter