Caribbean Beach Resort- Resort Changes Still Available?

DisneyDreamCatchers

Earning My Ears
This is my very first time posting although I have been lurking for a long while. I very much appreciate all of the information that the DIS provides!

My family of 5 is booked at the CBR. We are not fans of the upcoming construction and think this would really affect our stay. I read on the DIS that Disney was offering changes to certain resorts at no charge, provided there is availability. Does anyone know if this is still happening? I appreciate any recent experiences with this that can be shared.

Thank you,

Hey there! I'm actually staying April 29-May 5, 2017 at CBR with a king bed. Yes, they are giving you the option to transfer still, but there may be a cost in difference. YOU SHOULD RECONSIDER THOUGH! If you haven't heard, for each night you stay during the construction they are giving $75 gift cards for each night starting May 1st. They did offer to switch me over to CSR or Pop! but I declined because I'm basically being paid to stay there.

The resort they can switch you to will depend on when you are going and what availability they have for your dates. The most common offering is either of the Port Orleans resorts. Several people have been offered others, but a lot will probably depend on not only availability, but also your particular circumstances, what cast member you talk to, and how persistent you are. Other resorts that I have seen posted here and on other sites that people have been offered have been FW cabins, any of the values including the AOA suites, and Saratoga Springs. I've seen others posted, but it was only one or two people who reported receiving it, so I'd rather not say those resorts since I think those were uncommon switches.

As for your question of if they are still allowing resort switches, yes. As long as you were booked prior to them announcing the construction last month. I was moved last week to a 2 bedroom at Saratoga Springs (had 5 + baby in party but 2 rooms booked at CBR). They originally only offered Port Orleans to me and I brought up that numerous others had reported online being transferred to SS, cabins, and AOA. I was put on hold then offered two studios at SS. I asked if we could have a 2 bedroom and after another hold they agreed.

Moral of the story, yes you can be switched, yes they may give you a hard time but if you are persistent, you MAY get what you want.

Does anyone know if you get the $75 gift card offer for CB stays if you book it on another site (cheaptickets)?

The resort they can switch you to will depend on when you are going and what availability they have for your dates. The most common offering is either of the Port Orleans resorts. Several people have been offered others, but a lot will probably depend on not only availability, but also your particular circumstances, what cast member you talk to, and how persistent you are. Other resorts that I have seen posted here and on other sites that people have been offered have been FW cabins, any of the values including the AOA suites, and Saratoga Springs. I've seen others posted, but it was only one or two people who reported receiving it, so I'd rather not say those resorts since I think those were uncommon switches.

As for your question of if they are still allowing resort switches, yes. As long as you were booked prior to them announcing the construction last month. I was moved last week to a 2 bedroom at Saratoga Springs (had 5 + baby in party but 2 rooms booked at CBR). They originally only offered Port Orleans to me and I brought up that numerous others had reported online being transferred to SS, cabins, and AOA. I was put on hold then offered two studios at SS. I asked if we could have a 2 bedroom and after another hold they agreed.

Moral of the story, yes you can be switched, yes they may give you a hard time but if you are persistent, you MAY get what you want.

Thank you for your help and for sharing your experience. What is crazy to me is that if it weren't for the DIS I would not even know that construction was happening at CBR. I made our reservation two weeks ago and before I started reading about the construction issues here on the DIS a few days ago; the "construction notice" on Disney's website was not even apparent to me when I booked. "This resort hotel is undergoing refurbishments" is at the top of the screen and not very noticeable, at least not to me. I have yet to receive anything from CBR alerting me about the construction or the $75/night gift card that is in the notice. I don't have any interest in staying there with the construction. So, I guess I should just cancel our reservation since I apparently booked after the construction notice was put up, and it is unlikely they will move us. Sadly, I have not found the reservation agents very nice or helpful, and I don't have the energy to wait on hold for hours on end to only be told there is nothing to be done. Sorry to rant, but this whole "trying to book a relaxing Disney vacation" has been very frustrating and disappointing.

Thank you for your help and for sharing your experience. What is crazy to me is that if it weren't for the DIS I would not even know that construction was happening at CBR. I made our reservation two weeks ago and before I started reading about the construction issues here on the DIS a few days ago; the "construction notice" on Disney's website was not even apparent to me when I booked. "This resort hotel is undergoing refurbishments" is at the top of the screen and not very noticeable, at least not to me. I have yet to receive anything from CBR alerting me about the construction or the $75/night gift card that is in the notice. I don't have any interest in staying there with the construction. So, I guess I should just cancel our reservation since I apparently booked after the construction notice was put up, and it is unlikely they will move us. Sadly, I have not found the reservation agents very nice or helpful, and I don't have the energy to wait on hold for hours on end to only be told there is nothing to be done. Sorry to rant, but this whole "trying to book a relaxing Disney vacation" has been very frustrating and disappointing.

Have you considered using Dreams Unlimited Travel? Even though you already made reservations, granted you haven't paid in full yet, you can transfer your package to them and get assigned an agent. Just a suggestion, plus it'll take all that hassle away for you.

If I'm completely honest, I had no idea about the construction either or $75 gift card until about two weeks ago and I've had my reservations for months now. I didn't receive an alert from CBR until I paid in full at which point I got an email and a letter in the mail stating what my options were. Why cancel all together? Maybe explore to see if something else is open or talk with guest services and explain your issue. Guest Services really has a bucket full of pixie dust and will work with you on anything just be aware that sometimes it takes them a little longer on the phone. I always call around 10 PM EST because the wait is way shorter than what it normally is or I just put my phone on speaker and do some things around the house. It's totally up to you but that's my recommendations.

I would still try calling and seeing if they will switch you. I wouldn't bring up that you booked after the official announcement; don't even mention it unless they do. If they say something, let them know that you didn't see the announcement and were unaware of the construction until you saw it on here. It's possible that they may still move you for free or a small up charge. I'm sorry that it's been less than a magical experience for you and hope that things work out. Let us know what you end up doing.

One other thing that may be helpful to bring up with Disney and may be something you encountered yourself, but even now when I go to the page on Disney's website to price out Caribbean Beach, it has the notice at the top saying "This hotel is undergoing refurbishments." Well, when I open the details on my phone, all that I see is the notice about the work in Trinidad which should be done soon. The rest of the construction info is there, but you have to scroll down to see it. I booked before the announcement and never received notification from Disney about the construction, only heard about it because of disboards, and even right after they announced it, I remember going on Disney's website and only seeing the work at Trinidad listed. It took me until a week ago to realize that you can scroll down and it tells about the rest of the construction. So, long story, but I don't know if this same thing may have happened to you or not but I definitely understand not realizing there was construction when you booked and even though the info is there, it can be hard to find (or maybe I'm just an idiot for not realizing there was more to the construction message if I just scrolled down).

I would still try calling and seeing if they will switch you. I wouldn't bring up that you booked after the official announcement; don't even mention it unless they do. If they say something, let them know that you didn't see the announcement and were unaware of the construction until you saw it on here. It's possible that they may still move you for free or a small up charge. I'm sorry that it's been less than a magical experience for you and hope that things work out. Let us know what you end up doing.

One other thing that may be helpful to bring up with Disney and may be something you encountered yourself, but even now when I go to the page on Disney's website to price out Caribbean Beach, it has the notice at the top saying "This hotel is undergoing refurbishments." Well, when I open the details on my phone, all that I see is the notice about the work in Trinidad which should be done soon. The rest of the construction info is there, but you have to scroll down to see it. I booked before the announcement and never received notification from Disney about the construction, only heard about it because of disboards, and even right after they announced it, I remember going on Disney's website and only seeing the work at Trinidad listed. It took me until a week ago to realize that you can scroll down and it tells about the rest of the construction. So, long story, but I don't know if this same thing may have happened to you or not but I definitely understand not realizing there was construction when you booked and even though the info is there, it can be hard to find (or maybe I'm just an idiot for not realizing there was more to the construction message if I just scrolled down).

Thank you @LongLiveRafiki. I appreciate your help! I will see what happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter