• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Caribbean Beach State Correctional Facility

Things were "bad from the get go" because the OP either did no research to find out where the Pirate Rooms were located - or that you can't have a Pirate Room and a Preferred Location - or if they had and had not reserved a Pirate Room did not ask to be "downgraded" to their reserved room category.

The other stuff was just icing.

The OP never stated they booked the Pirate room. Sounds as if they booked a water view room and the Pirate room was a surprise "upgrade".

And not everyone researchers every little thing about their resort. If the OP didn't book a pirate room they may have had no idea they were far away from everything.

The OP never stated they booked the Pirate room. Sounds as if they booked a water view room and the Pirate room was a surprise "upgrade".

And not everyone researchers every little thing about their resort. If the OP didn't book a pirate room they may have had no idea they were far away from everything.

The OP never stated which room they booked. I don't see anything in the first post about booking a Water View (closer to Preferred) - but even if they did, Pirate Rooms have those too and they could have booked a Pirate Room Water View. But even they were changed into one, when they saw how far it was they could have gone back and asked for a different room.

I guess there are people who don't bother to look up anything, but when I'm spending as much as I am on a Disney vacation, I'm going to research every detail I can. If someone doesn't bother to research - especially the resort they have selected - I really don't have a lot of sympathy. The information is out there, and the responsibility is on them to find out if it is where they are going to be happy.

Many a time I have prayed for those poor souls who unknowingly (through little research or luck of the draw) get building 39 in the Trinidad South area of the CBR or building 8 in the Little Mermaid area of AOA. Oh to be those aching feet after several 12 hour park days.

Once we got the Jamaica area and I complained about the walk for food until I saw the Trinidad South buildings through my Spyglass (arghh!). Never again did I complain about Jamaica after that Matey!

I am not spending the money required to stay in a deluxe resort tower. Which is why I prefer a cabin with golf cart rental at the Fort. My DW is tiring of it but I only need remind her of some of the other resort maps. I save my steps for the parks NOT getting breakfast and drink refills over a bridge and /or around ten building complexes.

Many a time I have prayed for those poor souls who unknowingly (through little research or luck of the draw) get building 39 in the Trinidad South area of the CBR or building 8 in the Little Mermaid area of AOA. Oh to be those aching feet after several 12 hour park days.

Once we got the Jamaica area and I complained about the walk for food until I saw the Trinidad South buildings through my Spyglass (arghh!). Never again did I complain about Jamaica after that Matey!

I am not spending the money required to stay in a deluxe resort tower. Which is why I prefer a cabin with golf cart rental at the Fort. My DW is tiring of it but I only need remind her of some of the other resort maps. I save my steps for the parks NOT getting breakfast and drink refills over a bridge and /or around ten building complexes.
Our first stay back in 2007 was CBR. I requested Jamaica and was near the quiet pool. Guess everything is subjective because we thought it was a great location, close to bus stop, and not a far walk to the bridge over to food court.

Explains why on the 25% off deal they only had Pirate rooms available

Next time a very small amount of planning/research will do you a world of good. It is easily accessible information that shows pirate rooms are the furthest away from anything at CBR. So I'm afraid that's on you. Another tip for future, if you are truly miserable with your accommodations, speak to the front desk and they will do their best to move you to another location in the resort that better suits your needs.

building 39 in the Trinidad South area of the CBR or building 8 in the Little Mermaid area of AOA. Oh to be those aching feet after several 12 hour park days.
Okay, that works on the first day. Maybe the second. But by the time you returned to your room a second time, isn't it reasonable to start planning ahead? Maybe walk a little kess during the day? Relax in the lobby?

And that's only for the LM rooms. CBR has bus stops at each village.

When I was taking my son for his 8th birthday a couple years ago we looked at staying in a pirate room... then I found out where they were situated in the resort. We stayed at POFQ instead.

I've never understood the pricing on the Pirate rooms. They charge more for the room because of the pirate theme, but the theme in the room is really the only "bonus". If anything they should price the Pirate rooms the lowest to entice people to stay in that area. We stayed their once (required do to free dining package) and I didn't mind it so much. Gave me a nice walk to get coffee for me and DW every morning while she got ready, but it was a a little tough when taking kids to the pool or activities.
Yeah, Pirate Rooms are usually the last to go during promotions. We stayed once and while I personally wasn't impressed, it was still a great stay because our son was 12 and he enjoyed it. It also helped that we had our own transportation because we did see many miserable people on bus stops melting in the sun. I wouldn't ever recommend a Pirate Room unless it was a great deal and younger children were staying.

And for what it's worth, they *did* try to improve the area knowing it's far from the main building -- Trinidad has its own quick service location (Spyglass Grill), there's freestyle machines for those who do the mug thing, each 'island' in the resort has its own quiet pool, and each 'island' has its own bus stop.... so honestly if it's THAT far you never really HAVE to go to the main building at all, especially if you did online checkin.

The only thing like I said they could add would be an additional bridge towards the other side of the resort where the Skyliner stations are. Plus the entire resort is a little bit smaller now than it was a few years ago since they demolished an entire section of it to build Riviera. I'm no apologist... I think the room color schemes are too dark and they are due for a refurb but they have been making efforts to improve, along with the entire refurbed Old Port Royale area..

While I can't speak for the OP that would be a huge important part of their rant to leave out. It's more ammunition about just how bad it is, that they didn't get put in what they booked. So I'm guessing they did indeed book a Pirate Water View room, and that's what they got.

I ate at Sebastian's last summer and I throughly enjoyed my meal. I only have positive things to say about it.

The OP also has another thread open about how miserable her MK After Hours event was. Clearly was not a good trip for them. They may have come here looking to vent and did not get the sympathy they expected. I'm sure they got Disney to make it up to them.

I ate at Sebastian's last summer and I throughly enjoyed my meal. I only have positive things to say about it.

The OP also has another thread open about how miserable her MK After Hours event was. Clearly was not a good trip for them. They may have come here looking to vent and did not get the sympathy they expected. I'm sure they got Disney to make it up to them.
Some people are impossible to be made happy, that's for sure. I feel for those some times, always sour. Seems to beget more sour things, quite honestly.

I swear there are Disney employees paid to read through these boards and post. Always in the same way. Start with "I'm sorry you had a bad experience" and then proceed to blame the poster for everything. Or, post how they had the exact opposite experience to whatever the poster is complaining about and are "surprised" to hear differently.

No it just may take things going epically wrong for us to voice our feelings to Disney. I certainly wouldn't voice my anger here if things were that bad.

I stayed at CBR last summer so my kids could do the splash pad before being too big. I could tell on the map the resort was spread out. I will choose not to go back because of the setup. That is my choice not Disney's fault. I enjoyed Port Orleans Riverside better but also big. I'll just do Deluxe or condensed Value Resorts going forward or make sure I am getting the exact room location that is best for me and my family.

Last edited:
I swear there are Disney employees paid to read through these boards and post. Always in the same way. Start with "I'm sorry you had a bad experience" and then proceed to blame the poster for everything. Or, post how they had the exact opposite experience to whatever the poster is complaining about and are "surprised" to hear differently.

Hate to disavow you of your illusion, but I don't work for Disney. Just someone who has visited numerous times and 1) does her research and 2) knows that when there is the time to voice issues - when they can be fixed/dealt with there.

The poster is to blame if they are complaining they didn't get a room near the lobby/check in when they booked a Pirate Room. There is no such room in existence. They are perfectly within reason to be disappointed with the room and it's location but not that they didn't get their request. Sorry. I say it every time someone comes on here and says that Disney is to blame and to stop letting them off the hook. Disney gets plenty wrong and they don't need to have their feet held to the fire when it's something they DIDN'T get wrong.

spyglass! I love it!

You can check my post history, I can be a bit of a Dis-basher, especially with their absurdly overpriced rooms and penny pinching in the parks to guests' detriment. So Disney would never employ me, ha. But in this particular case it really does only take a few moments of research to find out where the room one books is located on a resort map. And who can help about someone vaping nearby...?? There's a crap-ton of stuff to scold Disney for but this particular thing.... meh. I hate to see someone not enjoy their hard earned vacation but I would just stress to look up an article or even a quick YouTube video before departure... I personally do that with any vacation I go on, cheap or expensive.

:lmao: Correctional facility. LOL! That bad eh? :rotfl:

I didn’t think so, FWIW.

It would be nice if there was some way to know that if you book a Pirate room you can't get close to lobby too.
I gotta say though, and this was before I even came to Dis boards, I booked CBR as our first resort for our first stay and learned then that the Pirate rooms where far from everything, and this was when you had to check in at the old OPR location. So it wasn't hard to find out even then. Even without lots of research.

CBR was my first resort, too. Booked Pirate room. Enjoyed it. And knew that it was far far away ahead of time. And that was in 2010...

But even if I didn’t then, once they gave me the map at checkin, I would have.

Disney gets plenty wrong and they don't need to have their feet held to the fire when it's something they DIDN'T get wrong.

So dang true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter