Caring for Giants tour at AK

BranRan

Earning My Ears
Can anyone give a better description or review of the Caring for Giants tour at Animal Kingdom? (Elephants)

Can anyone give a better description or review of the Caring for Giants tour at Animal Kingdom? (Elephants)

We did the tour in June 2017. You check in at a stand near KS and are then led "backstage" to a waiting van, and from there transported to the rear of the elephant enclosure. There's a nice viewing area to see the elephants from, and while you're watching them, an AK cast member is there to educate you on the elephants you're seeing as well as answer any questions that you may have. After that, another cast member, this time a cultural representative takes over and talks about the elephants in Africa, their interactions, etc. with the locals regarding crops, etc. It's pretty informative and we absolutely loved it.

We did the tour this Thanksgiving, as my DD12 absolutely loves elephants. It was well worth the time and price.

Total tour takes about an hour. You check in and get your badge (capped at 12 people per tour) and then are led backstage to a bus that drives you to where the elephants are located on the KS ride. It was cool to see and get to meet some of the the performers in the Lion King show that were backstage and heading to their performance. No photos allowed here though - so the magic is kept real. :)

You ride a bus to the tour viewing area of the elephants on KS where you then get a great talk from one of the elephants keepers at AK and learn all about AK's 3.7 elephants they have. Baby Stella was shy at first but was very playful once she came into view. You don't get to "touch" the elephants but you are only about 50 ft. away from them. You then get a CM from Africa (ours was from South Africa) and they tell you about how elephants are important/significant to their culture. Then afterwards we used our FP+ to ride KS and try to see where the next group was at during their tour.

It is really well done and we are glad we did this one. It is a good starter tour and I am looking forward to doing some of the other, longer tours around WDW now that my DDs are getting of age to do so.

IMG_3597.JPG IMG_3606.JPG IMG_3619.JPG IMG_3624.JPG

I surprised my DD with this tour in November as she loves elephants. She was so excited she cried. At that point I had no idea what we were in for and all I hoped was that she wouldn’t be disappointed.

She was not. She loved every second of it.

We checked in about 15 minutes prior. It was a Saturday on a long weekend for the 11am tour and there was only the two of us and three others in our group. We were taken backstage and then driven out to the viewing area which was very close to the elephants but of course not within touching distance as pp noted.

The tour was very informative and baby Stella was a huge hit. We were told most or all of the tour cost was donated (I honestly can’t remember the amount or to what organization) but that fact alone made the tour worth the price.

Does this tour have to be booked ahead of time or can it be done at the check in desk by the safari?

Ahead of time. Depending on the day/time, it can be booked up for a given tour well in advance because they cap the tours at 12 max - that's all they can fit on the bus!

I booked on through the number on the MDE website and even got a DVC member discount. Not sure if they have AP discounts as well.

Ahead of time. Depending on the day/time, it can be booked up for a given tour well in advance because they cap the tours at 12 max - that's all they can fit on the bus!

I booked on through the number on the MDE website and even got a DVC member discount. Not sure if they have AP discounts as well.
There is a AP discount. :) They do day of bookings, but since availability is very limited, they recommend booking in advance. (I called and booked for our next trip).

There is a AP discount. :) They do day of bookings, but since availability is very limited, they recommend booking in advance. (I called and booked for our next trip).

You will really like it. Enjoy!

I booked day of. There was a desk where you could book tours. I think it was near the entrance to the safari.

We did it in July and it was wonderful! The PP's have given great descriptions. My granddaughters and I totally enjoyed every minute. I, too, highly recommend the tour.

I booked this as a Daddy-daughter activity for my DH and 4-year old DD, both of whom love animals. They both loved it! DD came back brimming with elephant facts, and they both loved seeing baby Stella. I would say go for it!

Oh my goodness, if they ever offer one of these for the tigers my daughter would be in heaven!

We loved it ! All of the proceeds went to wildlife conservation, which made it even better

Just a heads up- they let you keep the"ID tag" ( made of dung) but they take the lanyard back -- so if you wish to wear them, (my kids did) bring another lanyard to use ! It's great ! Enjoy !

I'm definitely thinking about doing this on my trip in March. Though I'm not exactly sure how my schedule for that day will look yet, and probably won't know until I see if I make EMH that morning. I'll see if schedules work out and if there is day-of availability! (I figure it would be a good intro for Disney tours, as I'm planning on doing the Wild Africa Trek in December!)

We did it in October and ended up being the only ones on the tour. Just the two of us. It was a great experience and I suggest if anyone has an opportunity to do it they should.

This has to be one of the best bang for your buck tours at Disney. We did this back when it first opened and absolutely loved it. The CMs at AK are so passionate about their jobs and the animals which is great to see.

Can’t beat that the proceeds go to their wildlife fund either! This to me is a must do at least once, you won’t regret it.

This has to be one of the best bang for your buck tours at Disney. We did this back when it first opened and absolutely loved it. The CMs at AK are so passionate about their jobs and the animals which is great to see.

Can’t beat that the proceeds go to their wildlife fund either! This to me is a must do at least once, you won’t regret it.

I just reserved the tour for April! I am wondering about CM tour guide tipping - I have read on other threads that tour guides can accept tips...but not sure how that would work in this case partially because some of the tour proceeds go to conservation efforts and partially because there are multiple people involved (one the first half and another the second?). I am wondering if you were offered any information about tipping and how tipping for a great experience would work considering how the tour is structured.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter