Carnival ship tilts, "like being on the Titanic"

It was on the local news here in Orlando. And at the perfect time, just as the Sunshine sailed away from Port Canaveral in the background!

Stated 70 people treated for injuries, possibly on broken leg and some with stitches. Guess this means you should wear long pants in the MDR to protect from potential flying glasses and plates.

Well what do you expect it was Carnival after all, seriously though I wonder just how bad it really was. I'm sure for the 1 min that it occurred it would be scary, also not knowing if it would happen again.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/rea...ruise-ship-tilts-loses-balance-171537742.html

I'm sure it was scary...

That Titanic comparison is so stupid... (Clickbait!)

The Titanic split in two, went down and thousands died...

That cruiseship "list" for 1 or 2 minutes.

By the way, this is the next ship I am sailing on. I am not even remotely worried.

Ship happens!

P.s.: Since you like news regarding mechanical problems... RCCL's Navigator of the Seas lost a stabilizer, which apparently damaged the hull, a few days ago. If you Google, you'll find the info on that incident too.

It’s unfortunate you had to start off your post with “what do you expect it’s Carnival” considering it could happen on any ship in any cruise line. :sad2:

I’m sure it was a scary situation for passengers and I wouldn’t wish it to happen to anyone on any cruise ship, but I feel like there’s 2 sides to the story and then the truth of what exactly was experienced.

And would it keep me from cruising in the future? Absolutely not.

Just something else I never realized could happen.

I'm not sure if we are allowed to link to Cruise Critic on here, so I won't. But if you go to the Carnival specific forum on CC, there is a poster there who offers a lot of technical knowledge. He posts on multiple cruise line threads from the perspective of someone who has worked in the industry for years and offers an insight to what probably happened. At the end of the day, anyone comparing this to the Titanic is ridiculous. As someone posted above - it's click bait. Shame on you!!

While we all like to think these ships are just floating cities, they are not. They are ships. In the ocean. Stuff happens. The more ships you have (Disney just has 4 and yet they had one ship that sailed into the middle of a hurricane - the Fantasy - even though other cruise lines wisely waited it out) the more likely you are to have incidents like this.

Last edited:
My favorite thing to do after reading articles like this is to read the comments. very entertaining, this story has some good ones! Here is one:

"Of the 658 passengers on board, 742 have secured an attorney for trauma and bodily harm. 855 have complained of whiplash and have filed on behalf of their emotional comfort pets, which will now require their own emotional comfort pets."

Since the Titanic sank & killed scores of souls, obviously with today's sensational media, comparing such an incident to the Titanic is certainly overblown. But to be fair, if you were on a ship that listed so severely that tables and glassware are flying, breaking and people trying to hang on to keep from sliding, just what ship WOULD come to just about anyone's mind with such happening? :rolleyes: I can't think of another ship name with such. It's just an article. And there are plenty of negative remarks about DCL on this thread and many others, so I really don't think anyone need take offense at a sensationalized article about what had to be a very frightening experience for a lot of ship passengers.

As an aside, the trend toward mega-ships increases the odds of stuff like this happening, particularly the taller the ship gets. It creates more "sail" and makes navigating the ship different than one with less sail. Not sure if I'm remembering the correct ship name, but I think it was the NCL Breakaway that on either its maiden voyage or one of its first sailings, left PC, and when it turned once out of the channel, it turned TOO sharply and the ship listed something like close to 30 degrees! :scared1: I know this incident happened not too long before the 2015 Hawaii DCLl sailings as I was talking to a career Navy gal who mentioned it and I confirmed I had seen the same article. :cutie:

My favorite thing to do after reading articles like this is to read the comments. very entertaining, this story has some good ones! Here is one:

"Of the 658 passengers on board, 742 have secured an attorney for trauma and bodily harm. 855 have complained of whiplash and have filed on behalf of their emotional comfort pets, which will now require their own emotional comfort pets."
That’s some good Onion-esque stuff right there.

The author of this thread did not come up with the click bait title, it is a direct quote from a woman in the video. I'm sure the passengers were scared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter