CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your review! We are doing this same itinerary in June after our Disney trip. I had a question about kids on the boat. We've done CCL before, but only long itineraries. I have been hearing a lot about the shorter cruises being more adult. Were there a lot of kids on the boat? Our week long cruises were overflowing with kids, we want to be sure that there are other kids there for our daughter to play with in the kids club. I feel comfortable enough we can keep her away from some of the more crazy behavior (and hopefully we can join in a bit if she's in kids club :upsidedow). Thanks!

We did see kids.. but not nearly as many as on DCL. I would say that 10% of our passengers were kids under 17. But it was Mid march.... our kids were in school, in June when everyone is out of school I'll bet you will see more kids. And our cruise did have a lot of spring break (college) groups and a few groups of bachelorette parties (imagine 7 girls in matching black thong swim suits with 'squad' on the front surrounding the girl in the white suit with 'bride' on the front of hers.. which is fine, just not something that I've seen on DCL). So I think those all added to the overall wild atmosphere on our sailing.

Can't wait to hear about all of the upcoming trips. We have 52 days to go still. Tomorrow is Fast Pass day for the WDW portion of our trip so that is something!

Those turtles are adorable. We saw giant sea turtles in Hawaii and it was amazing.

We did see kids.. but not nearly as many as on DCL. I would say that 10% of our passengers were kids under 17. But it was Mid march.... our kids were in school, in June when everyone is out of school I'll bet you will see more kids. And our cruise did have a lot of spring break (college) groups and a few groups of bachelorette parties (imagine 7 girls in matching black thong swim suits with 'squad' on the front surrounding the girl in the white suit with 'bride' on the front of hers.. which is fine, just not something that I've seen on DCL). So I think those all added to the overall wild atmosphere on our sailing.
Thanks so much for the info. We are already booked so fingers crossed! I'll have to report back our experience in June. Thanks again for your trip report.
::Pulls out the thong and adds to the packing pile:: :rotfl:

Since some of you have expressed some interests regarding my excursion in Cozumel, here's a little video I have taken. :)

Since some of you have expressed some interests regarding my excursion in Cozumel, here's a little video I have taken. :)

OMG -- on my bucket list! I would cry to see them off -- we've owned pet turtles and I just love them. Were you worried a bird would get them before they got to the water?

OMG -- on my bucket list! I would cry to see them off -- we've owned pet turtles and I just love them. Were you worried a bird would get them before they got to the water?

It was quite the experience... You dig the nest yourself (in teams, we were 4 ppl per nest). They show you how to do it. When you get them out of the nest, they are asleep. We thought our first baby turtle was dead but it wasn't... it was just asleep. When they actually start moving, they are very hyper. You put the turtles you find in a basket until the nest is completely empty. You put the egg shells aside as you dig. There is a possibility to find empty turtle shell aka dead turtles (it's natural selection) but we got lucky and got 5 baby turtles in ours which we shared with a family who didn't have any turtle in their nest.

There was a guide who would tell us when to let them go. We had to wait a few minutes because there was a predator near. When the predator left, we could let them go. (Please take note that if the predators won't leave, it's possible that you might not get to release them that day).

Also, the first minutes, you can actually see their little heads trying to stay out of the water as they are swimming. That's adorable.

I was very emotional when I did this: my mother (who passed 11 years ago from cancer) absolutely loved turtles and used to collect every little turtle statues, towels, t-shirt, jewelry she would find...

The first turtle that I'm releasing in the video, I actually nicknamed "Mommy" in her honor. :angel:

It was quite the experience... You dig the nest yourself (in teams, we were 4 ppl per nest). They show you how to do it. When you get them out of the nest, they are asleep. We thought our first baby turtle was dead but it wasn't... it was just asleep. When they actually start moving, they are very hyper. You put the turtles you find in a basket until the nest is completely empty. You put the egg shells aside as you dig. There is a possibility to find empty turtle shell aka dead turtles (it's natural selection) but we got lucky and got 5 baby turtles in ours which we shared with a family who didn't have any turtle in their nest.

There was a guide who would tell us when to let them go. We had to wait a few minutes because there was a predator near. When the predator left, we could let them go. (Please take note that if the predators won't leave, it's possible that you might not get to release them that day).

Also, the first minutes, you can actually see their little heads trying to stay out of the water as they are swimming. That's adorable.

I was very emotional when I did this: my mother (who passed 11 years ago from cancer) absolutely loved turtles and used to collect every little turtle statues, towels, t-shirt, jewelry she would find...

The first turtle that I'm releasing in the video, I actually nicknamed "Mommy" in her honor. :angel:

That is so special. Thanks for sharing. I, too, have collected turtle figures for decades -- I love to get them at places we visit because they can be so unique.

quick question if anyone has gone on the Carnival Magic...do you know if the cloud 9 spa looks over the ocean? Thinking if we sail on their in summer of 2019 we will get cloud 9 spa rooms because we love the heated loungers, etc. I have been looking at this vs. a 4 night double dip on the Dream. $4000 roughly for DH and I, $5000 if we add my son who will be 21. The Magic would be 2 extra days for $3000. It's hard to make the jump (and if I was on my Fantasy cruise in July I probably never would) but you can't argue with the math.

So, wait... Do they capture the baby turtles when they hatch and re-bury them???

Because I've seen sea turtle nests boil - the eggs are buried by the mother, and the baby turtles hatch and make their way to the surface. They are not "sleeping in the sand" but are in eggs to hatch and then get themselves to the surface.

I cannot imagine the terror those poor babies must feel to hatch and dig their way to the surface only to be captured and reburied. :(

So, wait... Do they capture the baby turtles when they hatch and re-bury them???

Because I've seen sea turtle nests boil - the eggs are buried by the mother, and the baby turtles hatch and make their way to the surface. They are not "sleeping in the sand" but are in eggs to hatch and then get themselves to the surface.

I cannot imagine the terror those poor babies must feel to hatch and dig their way to the surface only to be captured and reburied. :(

I'd like to know what part made you think they re-buried them. (I know my english sucks so I would use this as an english lesson).

The babies we "dig" are out of their eggs and are already on their way to get out of the nest --my guess in that they did not manage to get out during the "boil"-- and we find them before they make it to the surface. We are actually helping them going to the water faster.

P.s.: It's a conservation program.

I'd like to know what part made you think they re-buried them. (I know my english sucks so I would use this as an english lesson).

The babies we "dig" are out of their eggs and are already on their way to get out of the nest --my guess in that they did not manage to get out during the "boil"-- and we find them before they make it to the surface. We are actually helping them going to the water faster.

P.s.: It's a conservation program.

When you said "you dig the nest yourself" and "they are asleep when you dig them up". Nothing in that indicated that they had even been in eggs.

Very odd. I have talked extensively with people who patrol the nests at Ocean Isle Beach in NC and all the people who work with the turtles and who have studied them and their habits are adamant that while humans can help along by digging a little trench to help guide them to the water that ultimately it is up to them. They will not handle them at all - IF one goes off course and cannot be guided back in with red lights, they are scooped in a cooler with a large amount of sand and that is carried to the water, but getting out of the nest is all on them. Also, they have the best chance of survival when they hit the water at night to begin their long swim.

I guess it's a way to sell an excursion though...

When you said "you dig the nest yourself" and "they are asleep when you dig them up". Nothing in that indicated that they had even been in eggs.

Very odd. I have talked extensively with people who patrol the nests at Ocean Isle Beach in NC and all the people who work with the turtles and who have studied them and their habits are adamant that while humans can help along by digging a little trench to help guide them to the water that ultimately it is up to them. They will not handle them at all - IF one goes off course and cannot be guided back in with red lights, they are scooped in a cooler with a large amount of sand and that is carried to the water, but getting out of the nest is all on them. Also, they have the best chance of survival when they hit the water at night to begin their long swim.

I guess it's a way to sell an excursion though...

Well, we collect the empty egg shells inside the nest as well. They must come from them? :confused3

From what I understand a percentage of the excursion goes to the organization (in this case Comité municipal de proteccion a la tortuga marina).

Each organizations has its own way to do things I guess...?

Well, we collect the empty egg shells inside the nest as well. They must come from them? :confused3

From what I understand a percentage of the excursion goes to the organization (in this case Comité municipal de proteccion a la tortuga marina).

Each organizations has its own way to do things I guess...?

Maybe it's a Caribbean nation thing.

I mean, it's great that they're doing protection, but there is a reason they were "asleep"...their natural way is to go to the surface at night. And no, boils don't complete in one night, but the "leftovers" make their way out over the next couple of nights.

Everywhere I know of here in the US that does turtle protection/watch here it is all volunteers who receive training in "nest parenting". People gather to watch, but the turtles are in no way touched. Except as I noted if they are scooped with much sand into a cooler for transport to the water. (That happened to one little tiny guy (all of them were tiny - like much smaller than the one in your picture) in the first nest I saw boil - he had done all the work digging to the top and then his brothers and sisters trampled him. He just had sand in his eyes and could not see so that is why he would not go towards the water.

Maybe it's a Caribbean nation thing.

I mean, it's great that they're doing protection, but there is a reason they were "asleep"...their natural way is to go to the surface at night. And no, boils don't complete in one night, but the "leftovers" make their way out over the next couple of nights.

Everywhere I know of here in the US that does turtle protection/watch here it is all volunteers who receive training in "nest parenting". People gather to watch, but the turtles are in no way touched. Except as I noted if they are scooped with much sand into a cooler for transport to the water. (That happened to one little tiny guy (all of them were tiny - like much smaller than the one in your picture) in the first nest I saw boil - he had done all the work digging to the top and then his brothers and sisters trampled him. He just had sand in his eyes and could not see so that is why he would not go towards the water.

Boil can happen during the day too (but yes, mostly at night). During the day they are way more at risk to be caught by predators though.

Boil can happen during the day too (but yes, mostly at night). During the day they are way more at risk to be caught by predators though.

Yes, it *can* happen, but it usually happens at night. Nature finds a way to take care of her own. :)

quick question if anyone has gone on the Carnival Magic...do you know if the cloud 9 spa looks over the ocean? Thinking if we sail on their in summer of 2019 we will get cloud 9 spa rooms because we love the heated loungers, etc. I have been looking at this vs. a 4 night double dip on the Dream. $4000 roughly for DH and I, $5000 if we add my son who will be 21. The Magic would be 2 extra days for $3000. It's hard to make the jump (and if I was on my Fantasy cruise in July I probably never would) but you can't argue with the math.

Yes, the room with the heated loungers over looks the ocean.

Zydecocruiser sailed on the Carnival Magic and has some great pictures:

The ones from the spa are on this day:
http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalMagic/May_10_2011/01Barcelona/index3.htm

The index so you can see the whole trip (with tons of pictures of the ship) is here:
http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalMagic/May_10_2011/index.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter