CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi- I've been following your thread since you started this lol! Been trying to get in a cruise for years-just has never worked out was actually looking for next year as we are taking break from Disney (last semester my oldest did the Disney College Program and we spent lots of time there). However- the opportunity for a cruise has come up for October - 4 day on carnival Valor out of Galveston in October! Will just be me and DH- it's actually for a regional meeting for the volunteer organization we are with (Sertoma).
So first cruise ever for me and 2nd one for DH (although his last cruise was way back in the 80's for senior trip).
We still have our Disney trip in June but I'm way more excited about the cruise lol!
I've also discovered ways to get discounted carnival gift cards -hoping to have enough by October to maybe have enough for deposit for next cruise hehe...

I very much enjoyed your comparisons and reviews!

Congratulations on booking your first Carnival cruise. I hope you are going to enjoy it... but I honestly think you will. :)

The Valor is a gorgeous ship (and is a Fun Ship 2.0 so it has all the bells and whistles)... It looks fantastic.

If you have any questions, come and ask. :)

Also there are several cruise lines now that charge a $7.95 fee for room service all day. The only free room service is continental breakfast. I was really surprised when I learned that!

I'm afraid the free room service option is going to be a thing of the past very soon.

As I said (not sure what was the subject)... I don't mind too much about charging fees for certain services as long as the rates for the cruise stay low/lower.

Carnival Legend (Alaska, August 2017) vs. Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean, October 2017)

In 2017, I had the opportunity to go on two cruises within two month’s time. My family- my husband, two teen boys and I took a Carnival cruise on the Legend to Alaska in August. In early October, I traveled with a dear friend Teena, my first time on a Disney cruise. This was a Western Caribbean itinerary on the Fantasy.

I just finished up the trip report for the Alaska Cruise (see the link in my signature). I will be starting the report for the Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean trip soon.

Everyone who hears about these two trips has been curious about how the two cruises compare, so I will do my best to point out the pros and cons of both experiences. To some extent, the analysis will be difficult because the destinations and traveling parties were so different.

I also need to add that although both of these trips were spectacular, cruising is not my favorite form of vacation. I prefer a land-based trip, where I am able to walk on the beach when the mood hits me and where I don’t have the pressure of a deadline for returning to a ship that will sail away without me if I miss it.

Price:

For this piece, I will compare the Carnival/Disney Alaska itineraries so that we have an apples to apples comparison. Which is more like a Kia to Rolls Royce analysis. My husband researched and booked the Alaska cruise for our family. The cost for the Carnival cruise (not including airfare or tips/other expenses) one week, one cabin, 4 adults, extended balcony room was $4,500. I believe he ever-so-briefly checked what a similar Disney cruise would cost and it was at least double that.

Since the highlight of a trip to Alaska is the destination, and the bells and whistles offered by Disney were not important to us, Carnival is the clear winner here. No regrets about booking with “The Fun Ship” for our family’s trip to Alaska.

Except for a couple of other features, Disney takes the win in every other category.

Ship:

Carnival Legend

First Sailed in August 2002
963 feet long, 12 decks
2,124 passengers/930 crew members
Ship's Godmother: Dame Judi Dench

Disney Fantasy

First Sailed in March 2012
1,115 feet, 16 decks
4,000 passengers/1,458 cast members
Ship's Godmother: Mariah Carey
(Neil Patrick Harris hosted the Christening ceremony and Jerry Seinfeld performed)

The Carnival Legend is an older ship, and in fact will be going into dry-dock soon for a refurbishment. It is a (relatively) small ship, compared to the Disney Fantasy, but I still found it difficult to navigate.

I am directionally challenged, so I had trouble finding my cabin on both ships when I was alone, but it was ESPECIALLY bad on the Legend. I got lost for several minutes more than once. It was so bad that at one point my family forbade me from wandering alone (AWWW! They DO care!)

The directional signs on the Fantasy were clearer and easier to understand. I did still have trouble getting from the theatre area back to my cabin on the Fantasy when I was alone- not all of the elevators went to the floor I needed, and I really had to study the maps to find my way around. Is the adult Serenity area at the front or back of the ship? I don’t know, but I could eventually find it given enough time.

The Disney Fantasy is newer, brighter and the Disney touches are fantastic. Disney does details! Both ships were kept clean, but the crew on the Fantasy makes sure it is immaculate! A few days before we boarded the Fantasy, the ship had hit a dock, but I’m pretty sure the scratch was repaired before they even left that port.

The theming for the Legend is Greek/Roman mythology, which is cool and all, but DISNEY!!! From the Minnie statue in the lobby to the movie artwork on the stairways and throughout the ship and the added bonus of the Halloween touches, the décor of the Fantasy wins ears-down!

Lobbies:

DSCF1564.jpg

DSCF1567.jpg

Fantasy Lobby, Halloween on the High Seas decor

ETA:
A few people have mentioned in replies that they prefer the look of the Legend lobby, with a good point being the use of the space. I did spend more time in the Fantasy lobby- I went to a pin trading event and I happened upon a character dance party one afternoon at sea. There is a popular bar in the Legend lobby, but we don't really spend any time at bars, especially when traveling with the boys. The entertainment in the lobby was literally the same duo of singers every time we walked through. Hardest working couple on the seas!

Cabin:

I am not sure if the cabins on the Legend and the Fantasy were the same category of room. Both of the cabins I stayed in had balconies. The Disney cabin was larger, or at least seemed to be. The bedding we had on the Fantasy was a large bed and a sleeper couch, with a curtain that divided the spaces. On the Legend, we had a cabin with a large bed and bunk beds for the boys.

The Fantasy had two bathrooms, one with a shower but on the Legend the four of us had to share a single bathroom. The second bathroom was a huge advantage because someone could be showering while someone else was brushing teeth or whatever.

The storage seemed pretty comparable in the two cabins. But there was one feature I really loved in the Fantasy. Next to my sleeper couch was a large storage chest where I put all my beach gear and snorkel stuff.

Carnival Legend Cabin 7178

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

Disney Fantasy Cabin 8678

DSCF8250.jpg

DSCF8346.jpg

DSCF8255.jpg

Battle of the Towel Elephants:

Dumbo:

Entertainment:

This one is a slam dunk!

Disclaimer- on previous cruises, and on the Legend Alaska cruise, we have not attended shows. Well, one afternoon ice skating show on a Royal Caribbean ship, but I think that’s it. We are just not that into it, and we are also early-to-bed, early-to-rise, so the entertainment is usually too late for us.

On the Fantasy, I did not miss any of the nightly shows. The performers in all of the shows were super talented.

Aladdin was incredible! Costumes and staging were awesome, Genie was hilarious.

:genie:

The other custom shows- The Welcome Fantasy Show, Wishes, Believe and An Unforgettable Journey were all excellent, with original stories interspersed with Broadway-style vignettes from popular Disney movies.

But what impressed me most of all were the live performers on the show. The hypnotist Rcky Kalmon blew my mind (although he failed to control it). I liked his performance so much that I went to see his adult-themed show another night at a lounge. Again, I did not get hypnotized, but the guy sitting next to me did and it was unbelievable.

Another night, juggler Max Winfrey entertained and amazed me. 4 tennis racket. Kitchen sink. Hilarious audience participation. What else is there to say?

Oh, and the Pirate Party followed by fireworks at sea? BOOM!

In contrast, our only experience with the entertainment on the Legend was during our dinner one night. A guy wearing a tuxedo came over to our table and asked “Do you recognize me? I’m on tv!” Then he proceeded to do some card tricks at our table. He then invited us to his magic show the next day. This was SO CRINGY and awkward! The next night he was working more tables at dinner but fortunately, he didn’t make it back to ours.

On Board Activities:

On the Legend, in Alaska, the focus was really on excursions in port, and observing the scenery while we were at sea. We played trivia a couple of times. One was general trivia, the other was Harry Potter-themed. Both sessions had challenging questions and cramped conditions. The lounge where we played was much too small for everyone who was playing. They would have been better off doing it in the theatre.

We also went to a sushi making demo on the Legend- There were only two rows of seats for about 20 people, so we watched from spot overlooking the lobby.

On the Fantasy, there were always interesting things to do during any downtime:

Ship tour, animation class, characters to meet, movies at poolside and in the theatre*, an interactive detective game. Trivia was held in a large lounge and there was plenty of room to be comfortable.

ETA:

* There were 3 movies shown during the Legend cruise. On our Skagway (Friday) day, Boss Baby in the afternoon and Rogue One at 10:30. On our final day, Beauty & the Beast was shown. On the Fantasy, Disney movies were playing non-stop when the pool was open and other first-run movies were being shown a couple of times a day in one of the theatres.

Food:

On the Legend, we chose the YTD: Your Time Dining- where we could arrive for dinner at a time that was convenient for us. This was great, especially with the port itineraries that had us on crazy time schedules. The only times we experienced a wait to be seated was on the first sea day/formal night and on the night we were docking in Victoria since anyone who wanted to get off the ship at 7:30 needed to dine early.

We also liked that we could choose to dine with our family only, instead of being at a table with others we didn’t know.

One of the downsides of this style of dining is that we didn’t have the same waitstaff from night to night. Service varied from professional and excellent (once), to adequate, to poor.

The food was mostly decent. We are not picky eaters, so we were always able to find something we wanted to eat. On the menu, they call the appetizers “Entrees” and the dinners “Mains” which screwed us up for a couple of nights.

Carnival offers an “if you dare” appetizer each night- things like frogs legs, beef tongue, rabbit. We would often get this appetizer, or another “for the table” to share in addition to each ordering our own.

Standouts we had during the week were an Indian vegetarian dinner that Mark got and a fantastic chocolate cake. The dining low point was during the lunch where we were served inedible sushi and a pepper pot soup that had no flavor.

Note: Traditional cruise dining, at set times, was also available in the lower dining room for anyone who wanted to do that.

The food on the Fantasy was incredible, service was impeccable, the dining room theming was really cool! More about all that when I am writing my report, but I do want to comment on the exceptional job our waitstaff did in dealing with the extreme dietary restrictions of one of our friends who dined with us. The assistant waitress reviewed the menu for the following night with M to ensure her meal would be prepared as she needed it. Every night she was able to enjoy a custom-made dessert that was safe for her. KUDOS!

Buffets:

We didn’t eat at the buffets much at either ship.

Disney had much better offerings and selections- shrimp and crab claws at the lunch buffet!

I didn’t like the set-up on the Legend. There were too many stations, and they were spread out on deck, in more than one room. Made it difficult if you wanted to sample a lot of different things. I did enjoy the Chopstick buffet station that offered delicious Asian food.

One morning on the Fantasy I ordered an omelet. They gave me a number and asked where I was seated so they could deliver it to me when it was ready! That rocked!!!

Specialty Dining

We dined at the Nouveau Steakhouse on the Legend on our arrival night. At $35 per person, plus tip, I found this to be a pricey meal. There was plenty of food, though. The appetizers and salads were all excellent. Nate got a huge steak. We were served Caribbean lobster even though the menu promised Maine lobster. The desserts were good, although we were already full by the time they were served.

Palo on the Fantasy rocked! Here you order mini main courses (as many as you want) and there is also a serve-yourself buffet with serveral stations. The seafood selections- OMG! I could have just been happy with just that. There were many tempting desserts, too.

Nouveau Steak House:

DSCF1553.jpg

DSCF1558.jpg

DSCF1557.jpg

Palo:

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

DSCF8910.jpg

Pools:

Because we were in Alaska, we didn’t try out the pools on the Legend. They were surprisingly crowded with families, though.

The Fantasy pools were always crowded as well, both the family pool and the adult pool. I took a couple of dips in the adult pool to cool off, but there was no place for me to “swim”

I never tried the slide on the Legend, but I did have a few rides on the Fantasy’s Aquaduck. So fun! My wait times ranged from about 10 -30 minutes. I regret that I never got the chance to ride at night.

Fantasy:

DSCF8774.jpg

DSCF8313.jpg

Excursions- it is not really fair to compare excursions between these two cruises since the destinations were so different, but I will make two comments:

At Carnival, you book and pay in advance. With Disney, you reserve your spot and then you are charged when you are onboard. This is very convenient and allows for last minute changes if you want to do something else (within a certain timeframe)

Also, I would be remiss not to mention that Castaway Cay, Disney’s private island stop, is paradise!

Photos:

This one is a mixed bag.

The photographers on the Legend were voracious! They were pushy about trying to take our pictures frequently. Every port had costumed characters or mascots as we were leaving the ship. The photographers also roamed the dining rooms. We eventually figured out we just needed to say “No, thanks”, but on the Disney ship, there was absolutely no pressure by the photographers because plenty of families had purchased photo packages and wanted keepsake pictures.

The environmentalist in me hates that all photos are printed out for display and then are destroyed if not purchased. I like the procedure at Disney, where you can look at the screens, edit and choose the pictures you want.

HOWEVER, the one time I wanted to purchase a picture on the Fantasy (a picture of me in front of the Fantasy on Castaway Cay), it was difficult to find a working monitor due to the crowds. A Cast Member needed to help me figure out what to do, but he was stretched thin and couldn’t stay with me. When I saw the price for the single picture I wanted-$20 or $24 for a 5x7” or something like that- I balked. I would have preferred a 4x6” or a digital download but I don’t think that was an option and I couldn’t find anyone to help me. I didn’t end up purchasing the picture.

On the Legend, I purchased a package of 4 photos- our boarding shot, the boys’ pictures with the “Alaskan Blind Bear” and a picture of me that Mark liked from our first day. When I was deciding about the pictures, the person at the counter was very helpful and offered to put aside the pictures I was considering, which is not the usual procedure. I think it was around $40 for 4 photos, a MUCH better deal than the Disney cruise photo prices.

We never checked to see if there is an unlimited photo package through Carnival, because getting my family to pose for pictures is like pulling teeth. I know Disney has a package, but it is uber-expensive.

Muster:

As experienced cruisers know, Coast Guard regulations require that all passengers gather at a muster station to familiarize themselves with emergency and safety procedures before the cruise ship can set sail.

The muster drill on the Legend sucked! We got to our station, which was on one of the decks by the lifeboats, when called. We lined up and then had to stay on deck for about 45 minutes, in the heat, crowded against a wall, prohibited from using any electronic devices, while we waited for everyone to check-in. It seemed like people in the know realized that others would be late, so to avoid having to wait around, many people did not show up until the last minute.

The muster on the Fantasy was so much better. Our assigned station was in the Tube nightclub- INSIDE! AIR-CONDITIONED- WITH SEATS!

Wifi:

For me, Carnival actually wins on this one. With Carnival, you can get an unlimited package for around $70/week. Only 1 person in the cabin can be online at a time (unless you make one of the devices a hotspot). You could purchase in advance before the cruise for a discount, which we did. Instructions for logging on were in the cabin when we arrived. The advantage to this plan is you didn’t have to remember to logout or be concerned about what was running and consuming data. You could be connected as long you wanted or until someone else in the cabin wanted to use the ‘net.

The Connect@Sea package with Disney is more confusing. You purchase a certain amount of data. The more data you pay for, the cheaper it is per unit, BUT you won’t get a refund for any unused data. It can be tough to know how much data you will need. If you run out of the data and need to purchase more, you don’t get the advantage of the bulk pricing. You also needed to be careful about automatic update to apps on your device, or uploading/downloading apps like One Drive or DropBox that could use your data in the background without you knowing it. Do not forget to logout when you are not using your device. I believe I took an old phone with the sim card removed to use on the ship.

I tried for the past 15 minutes or so to find the prices so I could post here, but I couldn’t find them on the Disney Cruise site or doing a simple search. I checked my receipt and I paid $39.00, I think for 300 MB of data. I think that was the least expensive plan. At the time I sailed, there was an option to purchase 1,000 MB of data for $89

Note- I also received 50 MB of free data for signing on the first day. I think every cabin can get this, whether or not you sign up for a plan. The data I purchased ended up being sufficient for me. I was able to keep in touch with my family and friends back home through WhatsApp and Facebook while I was away for a week.

I think that is a decent overview for now. As I am writing the report about my Fantasy trip, if I think of anything to add, I’ll update this post.

:sail:

Last edited:
Carnival Legend (Alaska, August 2017) vs. Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean, October 2017)

In 2017, I had the opportunity to go on two cruises within two month’s time. My family- my husband, two teen boys and I took a Carnival cruise on the Legend to Alaska in August. In early October, I traveled with a dear friend Teena, my first time on a Disney cruise. This was a Western Caribbean itinerary on the Fantasy.

I just finished up the trip report for the Alaska Cruise (see the link in my signature). I will be starting the report for the Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean trip soon.

Everyone who hears about these two trips has been curious about how the two cruises compare, so I will do my best to point out the pros and cons of both experiences. To some extent, the analysis will be difficult because the destinations and traveling parties were so different.

I also need to add that although both of these trips were spectacular, cruising is not my favorite form of vacation. I prefer a land-based trip, where I am able to walk on the beach when the mood hits me and where I don’t have the pressure of a deadline for returning to a ship that will sail away without me if I miss it.

Price:

For this piece, I will compare the Carnival/Disney Alaska itineraries so that we have an apples to apples comparison. Which is more like a Kia to Rolls Royce analysis. My husband researched and booked the Alaska cruise for our family. The cost for the Carnival cruise (not including airfare or tips/other expenses) one week, one cabin, 4 adults, extended balcony room was $4,500. I believe he ever-so-briefly checked what a similar Disney cruise would cost and it was at least double that.

Since the highlight of a trip to Alaska is the destination, and the bells and whistles offered by Disney were not important to us, Carnival is the clear winner here. No regrets about booking with “The Fun Ship” for our family’s trip to Alaska.

Except for a couple of other features, Disney takes the win in every other category.

Ship:

Carnival Legend

963 feet long, 12 decks

Disney Fantasy

1,115 feet, 16 decks
(Neil Patrick Harris hosted the Christening ceremony and Jerry Seinfeld performed)

The Carnival Legend is an older ship, and in fact will be going into dry-dock soon for a refurbishment. It is a (relatively) small ship, compared to the Disney Fantasy, but I still found it difficult to navigate.

I am directionally challenged, so I had trouble finding my cabin on both ships when I was alone, but it was ESPECIALLY bad on the Legend. I got lost for several minutes more than once. It was so bad that at one point my family forbade me from wandering alone (AWWW! They DO care!)

The directional signs on the Fantasy were clearer and easier to understand. I did still have trouble getting from the theatre area back to my cabin on the Fantasy when I was alone- not all of the elevators went to the floor I needed, and I really had to study the maps to find my way around. Is the adult Serenity area at the front or back of the ship? I don’t know, but I could eventually find it given enough time.

The Disney Fantasy is newer, brighter and the Disney touches are fantastic. Disney does details! Both ships were kept clean, but the crew on the Fantasy makes sure it is immaculate! A few days before we boarded the Fantasy, the ship had hit a dock, but I’m pretty sure the scratch was repaired before they even left that port.

The theming for the Legend is Greek/Roman mythology, which is cool and all, but DISNEY!!! From the Minnie statue in the lobby to the movie artwork on the stairways and throughout the ship and the added bonus of the Halloween touches, the décor of the Fantasy wins ears-down!

Lobbies:

DSCF1564.jpg

DSCF1567.jpg

Cabin:

I am not sure if the cabins on the Legend and the Fantasy were the same category of room. Both of the cabins I stayed in had balconies. The Disney cabin was larger, or at least seemed to be. The bedding we had on the Fantasy was a large bed and a sleeper couch, with a curtain that divided the spaces. On the Legend, we had a cabin with a large bed and bunk beds for the boys.

The Fantasy had two bathrooms, one with a shower but on the Legend the four of us had to share a single bathroom. The second bathroom was a huge advantage because someone could be showering while someone else was brushing teeth or whatever.

The storage seemed pretty comparable in the two cabins. But there was one feature I really loved in the Fantasy. Next to my sleeper couch was a large storage chest where I put all my beach gear and snorkel stuff.

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

DSCF8250.jpg

DSCF8346.jpg

DSCF8255.jpg

Dumbo:

Entertainment:

This one is a slam dunk!

Disclaimer- on previous cruises, and on the Legend Alaska cruise, we have not attended shows. Well, one afternoon ice skating show on a Royal Caribbean ship, but I think that’s it. We are just not that into it, and we are also early-to-bed, early-to-rise, so the entertainment is usually too late for us.

On the Fantasy, I did not miss any of the nightly shows. The performers in all of the shows were super talented.

The other custom shows- The Welcome Fantasy Show, Wishes, Believe and An Unforgettable Journey were all excellent, with original stories interspersed with Broadway-style vignettes from popular Disney movies.

But what impressed me most of all were the live performers on the show. The hypnotist Kicky Kalmon blew my mind (although he failed to control it). I liked his performance so much that I went to see his adult-themed show another night at a lounge. Again, I did not get hypnotized, but the guy sitting next to me did and it was unbelievable.

Another night, juggler Max Winfrey entertained and amazed me. 4 tennis racket. Kitchen sink. Hilarious audience participation. What else is there to say?

In contrast, our only experience with the entertainment on the Legend was during our dinner one night. A guy wearing a tuxedo came over to our table and asked “Do you recognize me? I’m on tv!” Then he proceeded to do some card tricks at our table. He then invited us to his magic show the next day. This was SO CRINGY and awkward! The next night he was working more tables at dinner but fortunately, he didn’t make it back to ours.

On Board Activities:

On the Legend, in Alaska, the focus was really on excursions in port, and observing the scenery while we were at sea. We played trivia a couple of times. One was general trivia, the other was Harry Potter-themed. Both sessions had challenging questions and cramped conditions. The lounge where we played was much too small for everyone who was playing. They would have been better off doing it in the theatre.

We also went to a sushi making demo on the Legend- There were only two rows of seats for about 20 people, so we watched from spot overlooking the lobby.

Ship tour, animation class, characters to meet, movies at poolside and in the theatre, an interactive detective game. Trivia was held in a large lounge and there was plenty of room to be comfortable.

Food:

On the Legend, we chose the YTD: Your Time Dining- where we could arrive for dinner at a time that was convenient for us. This was great, especially with the port itineraries that had us on crazy time schedules. The only times we experienced a wait to be seated was on the first sea day/formal night and on the night we were docking in Victoria since anyone who wanted to get off the ship at 7:30 needed to dine early.

We also liked that we could choose to dine with our family only, instead of being at a table with others we didn’t know.

One of the downsides of this style of dining is that we didn’t have the same waitstaff from night to night. Service varied from professional and excellent (once), to adequate, to poor.

The food was mostly decent. We are not picky eaters, so we were always able to find something we wanted to eat. On the menu, they call the appetizers “Entrees” and the dinners “Mains” which screwed us up for a couple of nights.

Carnival offers an “if you dare” appetizer each night- things like frogs legs, beef tongue, rabbit. We would often get this appetizer, or another “for the table” to share in addition to each ordering our own.

Standouts we had during the week were an Indian vegetarian dinner that Mark got and a fantastic chocolate cake. The dining low point was during the lunch where we were served inedible sushi and a pepper pot soup that had no flavor.

Note: Traditional cruise dining, at set times, was also available in the lower dining room for anyone who wanted to do that.

The food on the Fantasy was incredible, service was impeccable, the dining room theming was really cool! More about all that when I am writing my report, but I do want to comment on the exceptional job our waitstaff did in dealing with the extreme dietary restrictions of one of our friends who dined with us. The assistant waitress reviewed the menu for the following night with M to ensure her meal would be prepared as she needed it. Every night she was able to enjoy a custom-made dessert that was safe for her. KUDOS!

Buffets:

Disney had much better offerings and selections- shrimp and crab claws at the lunch buffet!

I didn’t like the set-up on the Legend. There were too many stations, and they were spread out on deck, in more than one room. Made it difficult if you wanted to sample a lot of different things. I did enjoy the Chopstick buffet station that offered delicious Asian food.

One morning on the Fantasy I ordered an omelet. They gave me a number and asked where I was seated so they could deliver it to me when it was ready! That rocked!!!

Specialty Dining

We dined at the Nouveau Steakhouse on the Legend on our arrival night. At $35 per person, plus tip, I found this to be a pricey meal. There was plenty of food, though. The appetizers and salads were all excellent. Nate got a huge steak. We were served Caribbean lobster even though the menu promised Maine lobster. The desserts were good, although we were already full by the time they were served.

Palo on the Fantasy rocked! Here you order mini main courses (as many as you want) and there is also a serve-yourself buffet with serveral stations. The seafood selections- OMG! I could have just been happy with just that. There were many tempting desserts, too.

Nouveau Steak House:

DSCF1553.jpg

DSCF1558.jpg

DSCF1557.jpg

Palo:

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

DSCF8910.jpg

Pools:

Because we were in Alaska, we didn’t try out the pools on the Legend. They were surprisingly crowded with families, though.

The Fantasy pools were always crowded as well, both the family pool and the adult pool. I took a couple of dips in the adult pool to cool off, but there was no place for me to “swim”

I never tried the slide on the Legend, but I did have a few rides on the Fantasy’s Aquaduck. So fun! My wait times ranged from about 10 -30 minutes. I regret that I never got the chance to ride at night.

Fantasy:

DSCF8774.jpg

DSCF8313.jpg

Excursions- it is not really fair to compare excursions between these two cruises since the destinations were so different, but I will make two comments:

At Carnival, you book and pay in advance. With Disney, you reserve your spot and then you are charged when you are onboard. This is very convenient and allows for last minute changes if you want to do something else (within a certain timeframe)

Also, I would be remiss not to mention that Castaway Cay, Disney’s private island stop, is paradise!

Photos:

This one is a mixed bag.

The photographers on the Legend were voracious! They were pushy about trying to take our pictures frequently. Every port had costumed characters or mascots as we were leaving the ship. The photographers also roamed the dining rooms. We eventually figured out we just needed to say “No, thanks”, but on the Disney ship, there was absolutely no pressure by the photographers because plenty of families had purchased photo packages and wanted keepsake pictures.

The environmentalist in me hates that all photos are printed out for display and then are destroyed if not purchased. I like the procedure at Disney, where you can look at the screens, edit and choose the pictures you want.

HOWEVER, the one time I wanted to purchase a picture on the Fantasy (a picture of me in front of the Fantasy on Castaway Cay), it was difficult to find a working monitor due to the crowds. A Cast Member needed to help me figure out what to do, but he was stretched thin and couldn’t stay with me. When I saw the price for the single picture I wanted-$20 or $24 for a 5x7” or something like that- I balked. I would have preferred a 4x6” or a digital download but I don’t think that was an option and I couldn’t find anyone to help me. I didn’t end up purchasing the picture.

On the Legend, I purchased a package of 4 photos- our boarding shot, the boys’ pictures with the “Alaskan Blind Bear” and a picture of me that Mark liked from our first day. When I was deciding about the pictures, the person at the counter was very helpful and offered to put aside the pictures I was considering, which is not the usual procedure. I think it was around $40 for 4 photos, a MUCH better deal than the Disney cruise photo prices.

We never checked to see if there is an unlimited photo package through Carnival, because getting my family to pose for pictures is like pulling teeth. I know Disney has a package, but it is uber-expensive.

Muster:

As experienced cruisers know, Coast Guard regulations require that all passengers gather at a muster station to familiarize themselves with emergency and safety procedures before the cruise ship can set sail.

The muster drill on the Legend sucked! We got to our station, which was on one of the decks by the lifeboats, when called. We lined up and then had to stay on deck for about 45 minutes, in the heat, crowded against a wall, prohibited from using any electronic devices, while we waited for everyone to check-in. It seemed like people in the know realized that others would be late, so to avoid having to wait around, many people did not show up until the last minute.

The muster on the Fantasy was so much better. Our assigned station was in the Tube nightclub- INSIDE! AIR-CONDITIONED- WITH SEATS!

Wifi:

For me, Carnival actually wins on this one. With Carnival, you can get an unlimited package for around $70/week. Only 1 person in the cabin can be online at a time (unless you make one of the devices a hotspot). You could purchase in advance before the cruise for a discount, which we did. Instructions for logging on were in the cabin when we arrived. The advantage to this plan is you didn’t have to remember to logout or be concerned about what was running and consuming data. You could be connected as long you wanted or until someone else in the cabin wanted to use the ‘net.

The Connect@Sea package with Disney is more confusing. You purchase a certain amount of data. The more data you pay for, the cheaper it is per unit, BUT you won’t get a refund for any unused data. It can be tough to know how much data you will need. If you run out of the data and need to purchase more, you don’t get the advantage of the bulk pricing. You also needed to be careful about automatic update to apps on your device, or uploading/downloading apps like One Drive or DropBox that could use your data in the background without you knowing it. Do not forget to logout when you are not using your device. I believe I took an old phone with the sim card removed to use on the ship.

I tried for the past 15 minutes or so to find the prices so I could post here, but I couldn’t find them on the Disney Cruise site or doing a simple search. I checked my receipt and I paid $39.00, I think for 300 MB of data. I think that was the least expensive plan. At the time I sailed, there was an option to purchase 1,000 MB of data for $89

Note- I also received 50 MB of free data for signing on the first day. I think every cabin can get this, whether or not you sign up for a plan. The data I purchased ended up being sufficient for me. I was able to keep in touch with my family and friends back home through WhatsApp and Facebook while I was away for a week.

I think that is a decent overview for now. As I am writing the report about my Fantasy trip, if I think of anything to add, I’ll update this post.

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I would like to point out regarding Muster drills, both cruise lines use indoor and outdoor Muster stations, you could have very easily experienced the exact opposite had your cabins been in different locations.

The Fantasy certainly is an amazing ship, she was my favorite until we sailed on the Carnival Vista, now it’s a tie. I definitely like the newer, larger ships and am not a fan of the older, smaller ships - I think of the ship as my destination.

Price:

Ship:

Carnival Legend

963 feet long, 12 decks

Disney Fantasy

1,115 feet, 16 decks

Lobbies:

DSCF1564.jpg

DSCF1567.jpg

Cabin:

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

DSCF8250.jpg

DSCF8346.jpg

DSCF8255.jpg

Dumbo:

Entertainment:

This one is a slam dunk!

But what impressed me most of all were the live performers on the show. The hypnotist Kicky Kalmon blew my mind (although he failed to control it). I liked his performance so much that I went to see his adult-themed show another night at a lounge. Again, I did not get hypnotized, but the guy sitting next to me did and it was unbelievable.

On Board Activities:

Ship tour, animation class, characters to meet, movies at poolside and in the theatre, an interactive detective game. Trivia was held in a large lounge and there was plenty of room to be comfortable.

Food:

Buffets:

Specialty Dining

Nouveau Steak House:

DSCF1553.jpg

DSCF1558.jpg

DSCF1557.jpg

Palo:

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

DSCF8910.jpg

Pools:

Fantasy:

DSCF8774.jpg

DSCF8313.jpg

Photos:

This one is a mixed bag.

Muster:

Wifi:

Thank you so much for your very complete review!

It's all a matter of taste I guess but based on pictures, I prefer the lobby of the Legend between the two. I have a feeling the Legend is going to be magnificent after dry dock.

The new cabins on Carnival look so much better now that the beige/yellow/orange they used to have. Still, DCL ones look a little bit more luxurious (it's the headboard that makes the difference, I think.) but Carnival is getting there.

I just have a few comments to make:

- "Entrée is the french term for "appetizer". It's how we've always had it here. You can imagine that we are confused too when we see main dishes being called "entrées" LOL

- Each time a Carnival ship goes under dry dock, the printed photos system is replaced with touch screens. The printed pictures are slowly disappearing from Carnival ships. The new system is very nice. I actually like it better than DCL and will have to update my section regarding pictures too.

- I agree that there are too much pictures taken on Carnival. I don't like having to say no 4-5 times when we disembark in a port.

-Having a muster inside or outside depends on the size of the ship. We've had our fire drill outside on the Disney Wonder and Carnival Victory And inside on the Carnival Vista and Disney Dream. The wait only has to do with how other passengers in your group take this seriously.

Question: They did not present movies during the sailing of the legend? I'm surprised as the Victory and Vista always present movies and dive-in movies during their sailings.

Last edited:
Really liked your review. Thanks so much for posting. I've been to Alaska (on the Wonder) and sailed the Caribbean on the RCL Freedom and the Disney Fantasy. I loved the Freedom but really loved the Fantasy. My favorite ship of all ships I've sailed. I think you made a good choice to sail "the fun ship" in Alaska. I love the Wonder (sailing her again in April) but it's so expensive and Alaska is really about the ports, so we should have saved the money.

I'll agree with mevelandry on the lobbies. I think the Disney lobbies are just OK. Several other ships have really spectacular lobbies and your pictures suggest that the Legend lobby is very nice too. I think it's because Disney uses the lobby differently. It really is the central hub, so they leave it as a broad and open space with clear sight lines. Just a different style.

With respect to muster, I don't remember having to be outside for Disney's muster drill. I suppose it could depend on cabin location. Carnival seems to always take you outside to stand near your lifeboat loading area, even if you start inside. Oh, and down that drink because you can't take it with you.

Reading these last few posts made me chuckle. We have taken 7 cruises in our lifetime (1 Carnival, 5 Disney and 1 NCL). Every single time our muster station has been outside. I read posts of mustering in the theater or a lounge - ahh to have AC and a seat!! Every cruise I hope that finally we will have a cabin with an indoor muster station. Nope, we are back out on deck smashed together like sardines in the hot sun. Oh well, there's always next time!! :goodvibes

Instead of bemoaning our bad luck, we just tell ourselves that in the event of a real emergency we are getting on the lifeboats ahead of the folks gathering in the theater :thumbsup2.

Reading these last few posts made me chuckle. We have taken 7 cruises in our lifetime (1 Carnival, 5 Disney and 1 NCL). Every single time our muster station has been outside. I read posts of mustering in the theater or a lounge - ahh to have AC and a seat!! Every cruise I hope that finally we will have a cabin with an indoor muster station. Nope, we are back out on deck smashed together like sardines in the hot sun. Oh well, there's always next time!! :goodvibes

Instead of bemoaning our bad luck, we just tell ourselves that in the event of a real emergency we are getting on the lifeboats ahead of the folks gathering in the theater :thumbsup2.

Yeah. Exactly. I'm telling myself "we're closer to the lifeboats!" ...

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I would like to point out regarding Muster drills, both cruise lines use indoor and outdoor Muster stations, you could have very easily experienced the exact opposite had your cabins been in different locations.

The Fantasy certainly is an amazing ship, she was my favorite until we sailed on the Carnival Vista, now it’s a tie. I definitely like the newer, larger ships and am not a fan of the older, smaller ships - I think of the ship as my destination.

Valid point!

Thanks for reading and responding.

:goodvibes

Thank you so much for your very complete review!

It's all a matter of taste I guess but based on pictures, I prefer the lobby of the Legend between the two. I have a feeling the Legend is going to be magnificent after dry dock.

The new cabins on Carnival look so much better now that the beige/yellow/orange they used to have. Still, DCL ones look a little bit more luxurious (it's the headboard that makes the difference, I think.) but Carnival is getting there.

I just have a few comments to make:

- "Entrée is the french term for "appetizer". It's how we've always had it here. You can imagine that we are confused too when we see main dishes being called "entrées" LOL

- Each time a Carnival ship goes under dry dock, the printed photos system is replaced with touch screens. The printed pictures are slowly disappearing from Carnival ships. The new system is very nice. I actually like it better than DCL and will have to update my section regarding pictures too.

- I agree that there are too much pictures taken on Carnival. I don't like having to say no 4-5 times when we disembark in a port.

-Having a muster inside or outside depends on the size of the ship. We've had our fire drill outside on the Disney Wonder and Carnival Victory And inside on the Carnival Vista and Disney Dream. The wait only has to do with how other passengers in your group take this seriously.

Question: They did not present movies during the sailing of the legend? I'm surprised as the Victory and Vista always present movies and dive-in movies during their sailings.

Glad you enjoyed the review!

A few people have mentioned they prefer the look of the Legend lobby, with a good point being the use of the space. I did spend more time in the Fantasy lobby- I went to a pin trading event and I happened upon a character dance party one afternoon at sea. There is a popular bar in the Legend lobby, but we don't really spend any time at bars, especially when traveling with the boys. The entertainment in the lobby was literally the same duo of singers every time we walked through. Hardest working couple on the seas!

Yeah, I know that entrée for appetizer makes more linguistic sense, but since we are used to entrée referring to the main course instead of a starter, it really threw us off. "What would you like for an entrée?" and we would tell the waiter our main course selection.

Oh, I love that Carnival is switching over to the photo ordering screens instead of printing! Thanks for sharing that.

I agree that the main issue with our Carnival muster was the people who did not show up until well after the announcements were made.

I don't think there were any dive-in movies during the Alaska cruise. I don't remember seeing a screen at the pool. I just looked at the Fun Times from my cruise. There were 3 movies shown during the cruise. On our Skagway (Friday) day, Boss Baby in the afternoon and Rogue One at 10:30. On our final day, Beauty & the Beast was shown. On the Fantasy, Disney movies were playing non-stop when the pool was open and other first-run movies were being shown a couple of times a day in one of the theatres.

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise!

:thumbsup2

Last edited:
Really liked your review. Thanks so much for posting. I've been to Alaska (on the Wonder) and sailed the Caribbean on the RCL Freedom and the Disney Fantasy. I loved the Freedom but really loved the Fantasy. My favorite ship of all ships I've sailed. I think you made a good choice to sail "the fun ship" in Alaska. I love the Wonder (sailing her again in April) but it's so expensive and Alaska is really about the ports, so we should have saved the money.

I'll agree with mevelandry on the lobbies. I think the Disney lobbies are just OK. Several other ships have really spectacular lobbies and your pictures suggest that the Legend lobby is very nice too. I think it's because Disney uses the lobby differently. It really is the central hub, so they leave it as a broad and open space with clear sight lines. Just a different style.

With respect to muster, I don't remember having to be outside for Disney's muster drill. I suppose it could depend on cabin location. Carnival seems to always take you outside to stand near your lifeboat loading area, even if you start inside. Oh, and down that drink because you can't take it with you.

Thanks for your comments!

The friend that I cruised with on Disney is uber-platinum (*made up designation) on DCL and has cruised with many of the other lines while living in Florida. Of all the ships she has been on, the Fantasy is her favorite. Sounds like I sailed on the best of the best.

The Legend was just right for our Alaska trip. My teen boys would not have appreciated the Disney touches. We have sailed a few times on Royal, and that seems to be a good mix of price/luxury for us.

I didn't really pay attention to where other muster stations were on the Fantasy. I'll have to ask my friend.

::yes::

I have been on 5 Cruises- 1 Disney, 1 Carnival, 3 Royal. We mustered outside for 3 and inside for the Disney and 1 of the Royals. Sorry you haven't experienced it, but *spoilier alert* inside is better!

:cold:

Yeah. Exactly. I'm telling myself "we're closer to the lifeboats!" ...

That's a "Lifeboat half-full" philosophy!

:lmao:

Glad you enjoyed the review!

A few people have mentioned they prefer the look of the Legend lobby, with a good point being the use of the space. I did spend more time in the Fantasy lobby- I went to a pin trading event and I happened upon a character dance party one afternoon at sea. There is a popular bar in the Legend lobby, but we don't really spend any time at bars, especially when traveling with the boys. The entertainment in the lobby was literally the same duo of singers every time we walked through. Hardest working couple on the seas!

Yeah, I know that entrée for appetizer makes more linguistic sense, but since we are used to entrée referring to the main course instead of a starter, it really threw us off. "What would you like for an entrée?" and we would tell the waiter our main course selection.

Oh, I love that Carnival is switching over to the photo ordering screens instead of printing! Thanks for sharing that.

I agree that the main issue with our Carnival muster was the people who did not show up until well after the announcements were made.

I don't think there were any dive-in movies during the Alaska cruise. I don't remember seeing a screen at the pool. I just looked at the Fun Times from my cruise. There were 3 movies shown during the cruise. On our Skagway (Friday) day, Boss Baby in the afternoon and Rogue One at 10:30. On our final day, Beauty & the Beast was shown. On the Fantasy, Disney movies were playing non-stop when the pool was open and other first-run movies were being shown a couple of times a day in one of the theatres.

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise!

:thumbsup2

I wonder what they do on DCL in Alaska for the movies? Don't know how the main deck (exterior) is used? (and compared to other cruise lines).

I wonder what they do on DCL in Alaska for the movies? Don't know how the main deck (exterior) is used? (and compared to other cruise lines).
I’ll try to remember to come back and report it, we’ll be on the Wonder in June to Alaska.

BTW, we’re booked on the Carnival Magic for June 2019 for B2B eastern and western Caribbean cruises. I’m not real crazy about the ship though so we may switch to the 8 day Southern on Horizon. We did that same cruise this year on Vista so I’m not thrilled about that but...........I think we may have my wife talked into doing a Havana Cabana and Havana inside across the hall for the kids. If she agrees I’ll definitely switch, I want to try Havana sooooo bad.

It's been a long time since we sailed on the Wonder in Alaska. But I seem to recall the typical movies playing on the pool deck. I also recall the audience being one or two kids and an incredibly uncomfortable CM up there overseeing the pool area and shivering in the cold.

It's kind of funny. As much as we have been happy to move on from Disney until the new ships come online due to several factors (price, our son is almost 20, and being bored with their itineraries), one thing I miss is the pool deck movies and the dedicated movie theater.

Last edited:
I’ll try to remember to come back and report it, we’ll be on the Wonder in June to Alaska.

BTW, we’re booked on the Carnival Magic for June 2019 for B2B eastern and western Caribbean cruises. I’m not real crazy about the ship though so we may switch to the 8 day Southern on Horizon. We did that same cruise this year on Vista so I’m not thrilled about that but...........I think we may have my wife talked into doing a Havana Cabana and Havana inside across the hall for the kids. If she agrees I’ll definitely switch, I want to try Havana sooooo bad.

Can you believe my husband and I completly forgot to visit the Havana section during our Vista cruise? :confused3

Our Wonder Alaska cruise had movies playing on deck in the evening. They passed out blankets for you to use to keep warm. There were not many out there, but they showed them. It really made me feel like Disney didn't have a clue about how to sail Alaska. This was 2011, their first season, so I was willing to give them a partial pass. There was not enough indoor seating at the buffet. Most of the time it was comfortable in Alaska, but mornings and evenings were noticeably colder and when the ship is moving, it generates it's own "wind chill" even on the aft decks. It was also frequently moist with either some sort of drizzle or light rain.

They still stuck to their original plans though. Movies on deck, Pirate night (Pirates IN the Caribbean just didn't have the same affect in Alaska) without fireworks (not allowed in Alaska) and the usual other events. One thing they did do that was amazing was the BBQ on one of the sea days where they had fresh salmon fillets on on open grill. YUM!

I always wondered how an Alaska cruise was. In the caribbean, the main deck is so busy.

My husband doesn't want to go to Alaska because it's colder. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter