CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This very long thread already has many pricing comparisons, but I thought I would share another one since I'm shopping and have the pricing.

I priced out an Eastern Caribbean leaving in late August from Port Canaveral for three lines. Carnival Breeze, Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas and Disney Fantasy. They all go to slightly different ports and have vastly different pricing. We've been on the Breeze and Fantasy before so know what to expect. We've sailed on Royal, but not Oasis class. But we feel we have a pretty decent idea having been on the Freedom.

Carnival Breeze:
August 24 7 day Eastern Caribbean
Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas, Amber Cove, day at sea
Deck 7 Aft Balcony is $2,169.94 (incl taxes and port fees)

Harmony of the Seas:
August 25 7 day Eastern Caribbean
Perfect Day at Coco Cay, St. Thomas, St. Marten, 2 days at sea
Deck 9 Aft Balcony is $2,442.66 (incl taxes and port fees)

Disney Fantasy:
August 24 7 day Eastern Caribbean
Tortola, St. Thomas, Castaway Cay, 2 days at sea
Deck 9 Aft Balcony is $4,607.04 (incl taxes and port fees)

The pricing is about as comparable as you can get between lines, although we all know that on the Fantasy you get a larger stateroom with a split bath and the other "Disney" difference. Does that justify double the price? Not in my mind. Not even close. I'm willing to pay a premium for Disney, but not that kind of premium.

Frankly the Royal Caribbean option looks to be the best value to me. Only slightly more than the Breeze and we get to experience the new private island renovations and we love the extra sea day. We haven't tried an Oasis class ship, so this would be a new experience whereas both the Breeze and the Fantasy are familiar. However, we really enjoyed our cruise on the Breeze so it also very appealing.

I'd also try the ship that is new for you. Harmony is getting rave reviews!

I'd love to sail on the Harmony. The "Like Father" movie on Netflix made me want to sail on it big time!!!

Frankly the Royal Caribbean option looks to be the best value to me. Only slightly more than the Breeze and we get to experience the new private island renovations and we love the extra sea day. We haven't tried an Oasis class ship, so this would be a new experience whereas both the Breeze and the Fantasy are familiar. However, we really enjoyed our cruise on the Breeze so it also very appealing.

Be aware that if you're looking for a "classic" cruise experience, you're not going to get that on an Oasis class. They truly are floating resorts - which isn't a bad thing, but you kind of have to experience the ships yourself before you can decide if it's "right" for you.

Harmony is a great ship, but I kind of liked Allure better. Will be on Symphony next year so will be able to do a comparison of the 3 sister ships.

Ok, I know most of you are big DCL fans but looking at the opening prices thread is just a huge NO. Those prices are outrageous and I just can't see the DCL is so much better to pay twice as much. Someone posted the 12 night Greek Isles for 2 was about $8800! We have a 12 night on CCL for 2020 for 2 adults for $4400. I like Disney but I don't go into debt to pay for vacation.

Ok, I know most of you are big DCL fans but looking at the opening prices thread is just a huge NO. Those prices are outrageous and I just can't see the DCL is so much better to pay twice as much. Someone posted the 12 night Greek Isles for 2 was about $8800! We have a 12 night on CCL for 2020 for 2 adults for $4400. I like Disney but I don't go into debt to pay for vacation.

To me, it's not even a question of going into debt to pay for a vacation. I know some people can afford the price difference (in many cases, DH and I can actually afford it: we just don't wanna pay that kind of price!). I simply have a hard time believing the "Disney difference" is worth that much.

Probably, because I don't think it is. I love DCL, but I don't love it enough to pay 25 to 50% more*. Sorry.

I know that in North America, we live in a world of abundance... but past a certain point, it just seems outrageous to me.

EDIT: To repeat the same experiences and itineraries.

Last edited:
To me, it's not even a question of going into debt to pay for a vacation. I know some people can afford the price difference (in many cases, DH and I can actually afford it: we just don't wanna pay that kind of price!). I simply have a hard time believing the "Disney difference" is worth that much.

Probably, because I don't think it is. I love DCL, but I don't love it enough to pay 25 to 50% more. Sorry.

I know that in North America, we live in a world of abundance... but past a certain point, it just seems outrageous to me.

I feel like Disney, and DCL, in general is becoming more a "rich" man's travel company. I remember my first onsite stay @ WDW in October 2010. We had 2 adults and 3 kids (1 disney adult) at POR Riverside for 7 nights w/tickets and paid about $2650. That same trip this year is $4400. That is about a 60% increase, way more than salaries have gone up for sure!

I think DCL is even worse cost-wise. My understanding is that room stewards, food quality, etc are not any better than the other mass-market lines. The only thing that may stand out are the shows. I don't buy into the theory that DCL is "safer" or "better" for kids. My kids love CCL, have grown up on them and they have never been in danger.

Yeah, we certainly aren’t booking anything. I considered the Greek Isles cruise but we’ve got the transatlantic on Radiance booked already and that’s 13 night for $6000, 4 people in 2 inside cabins. It would cost us $12,000 to do the DCL cruise. There is no way DCL is worth double the amount of Carnival. We actually have more fun on CCL than DCL, although we are more pampered on DCL. We actually like CCL’s food and food choices better, and are really looking forward to trying your time dining this June on Vista. We also think CCL’s desserts are way better. The weird thing to me is we make a very comfortable living and I can’t imagine paying those prices, what are the people who do, doing for a living? It’s mind boggling.

For the Harmony of the Seas i am getting a way different price, same with Disney
We pulled the trigger late yesterday. Costco travel. Super excited!! I don't know what you did to price things out, but I did have the correct price as that's what I am actually paying for the Harmony of the Seas. Party of 2 adults, August of 2019, Aft Cabin, Deck 9. You may see a higher price for RCCL today as I received 30% off that ended yesterday, but RCCL is often running some sort of fare sale. Are you seeing higher or lower price for Fantasy? I picked the same itinerary and same sail date for comparison purposes (for me, not just for grins). We had sailed the Fantasy Eastern previously and loved it so thought it would be good to compare prices. Were you choosing a Navigator Veraandah perhaps? I almost did that before I realized what category I was selecting.

That was a definitely a factor for us. We like doing new things and not just the same ship/itinerary over and over again. That's part of what soured us a bit on Disney. Not enough new in there (although we have clearly not sailed everywhere they go).

Be aware that if you're looking for a "classic" cruise experience, you're not going to get that on an Oasis class. They truly are floating resorts - which isn't a bad thing, but you kind of have to experience the ships yourself before you can decide if it's "right" for you.

Harmony is a great ship, but I kind of liked Allure better. Will be on Symphony next year so will be able to do a comparison of the 3 sister ships.

We've been on the Freedom of the Seas so feel like we have an idea of what to expect. Definitely a different experience. We love the Disney classic feel and will sail Disney again, but we thought it was time for another change and I continue to be surprised by the price differential. It's really crazy.

We pulled the trigger late yesterday. Costco travel. Super excited!! I don't know what you did to price things out, but I did have the correct price as that's what I am actually paying for the Harmony of the Seas. Party of 2 adults, August of 2019, Aft Cabin, Deck 9. You may see a higher price for RCCL today as I received 30% off that ended yesterday, but RCCL is often running some sort of fare sale. Are you seeing higher or lower price for Fantasy? I picked the same itinerary and same sail date for comparison purposes (for me, not just for grins). We had sailed the Fantasy Eastern previously and loved it so thought it would be good to compare prices. Were you choosing a Navigator Veraandah perhaps? I almost did that before I realized what category I was selecting.

That was a definitely a factor for us. We like doing new things and not just the same ship/itinerary over and over again. That's part of what soured us a bit on Disney. Not enough new in there (although we have clearly not sailed everywhere they go).

We've been on the Freedom of the Seas so feel like we have an idea of what to expect. Definitely a different experience. We love the Disney classic feel and will sail Disney again, but we thought it was time for another change and I continue to be surprised by the price differential. It's really crazy.
Harmony of the seas im seeing about $4175.32 with fl residents and the $50 off
Disney Fantasy im seeing close to $7,030.30
Carnival Breeze Fl resident and VIFP rate im seeing $2799.88
All are regular Balcony cabins Deck 6 aft
for 7 nights to the eastern Caribbean

This is the first dcl schedule release where I am not even interested, haven't even looked. Their prices aren't just too high, they don't even make sense.

Okay, so I lied. I could not resist checking for comparison's sake. ;)
I compared the closest cruise I could get to our booked 7 night Panorama Mexican Riviera. About $4800 with CCL (1 porthole cabin, 1 balcony, 5 people). Dcl 7 night Caribbean Fantasy one week earlier (didnt have same exact week for 7 night) (1 inside, 1 balcony, 5 people) about $13600.

The price difference is a semester at our state university.
Or 2 more cruises.:sail:

Crazy thing is.... I would have picked Panorama over the Fantasy even if prices were the same.

Okay, so I lied. I could not resist checking for comparison's sake. ;)
I compared the closest cruise I could get to our booked 7 night Panorama Mexican Riviera. About $4800 with CCL (1 porthole cabin, 1 balcony, 5 people). Dcl 7 night Caribbean Fantasy one week earlier (didnt have same exact week for 7 night) (1 inside, 1 balcony, 5 people) about $13600.

The price difference is a semester at our state university.
Or 2 more cruises.:sail:

Crazy thing is.... I would have picked Panorama over the Fantasy even if prices were the same.

Wait... Almost 3 times the price of CCL? :eek:

I was considering the 9 night Greek Isles on the Magic. Would be over $12,000 for 2 insides. The basically the same cruise on Adventure of the Seas is less than $6000, I could do 2 balconies for $10,000.

Harmony of the seas im seeing about $4175.32 with fl residents and the $50 off
Disney Fantasy im seeing close to $7,030.30
Carnival Breeze Fl resident and VIFP rate im seeing $2799.88
All are regular Balcony cabins Deck 6 aft
for 7 nights to the eastern Caribbean

Are you sure you are pricing for two adults? Maybe it's the date? I know the late August dates are cheaper and that's what I booked. Below is a screen shot of my booking price.

upload_2019-3-5_21-37-29.png

Deck 9, category 8D, Ocean View Balcony.

Not sure how you are seeing double that price. I'm also noting the Disney Fantasy pricing is quite a bit higher than what I was seeing, so something is not the same. Maybe I just got a smokin deal on the Harmony, but I'm locked in now and ready to roll!

Regarding the new Mardi Gras ship: EMERIL LAGASSE SPICES UP
CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE’S MARDI GRAS WITH FIRST-EVER RESTAURANT AT SEA

Emeril’s Bistro 1396 to Showcase New Orleans, Creole-Inspired Cuisine

I'm guessing this will be specialty dining $ but ... very interesting! :)

Wait... Almost 3 times the price of CCL? :eek:

Yes, it always seems to be that way for us. This is not anything we are remotely considering. I was just looking to have a laugh. With today's prices, I think for large families, a 7 night dcl cruise is a one time thing, if that. I think most of the people on the boards who do dcl frequently are travel agents or employees or utubers, or have some connection that garners significant discounts. But that's just my read on that. I cannot see ever doing another dcl cruise that is longer than 4 nights. If we ever "splurge" it will be the extra thousand it will take for us to jump from Ccl to an Oasis type class ship. Lol.

Regarding the new Mardi Gras ship: EMERIL LAGASSE SPICES UP
CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE’S MARDI GRAS WITH FIRST-EVER RESTAURANT AT SEA

Emeril’s Bistro 1396 to Showcase New Orleans, Creole-Inspired Cuisine

I'm guessing this will be specialty dining $ but ... very interesting! :)
Very cool

Yes, it always seems to be that way for us. This is not anything we are remotely considering. I was just looking to have a laugh. With today's prices, I think for large families, a 7 night dcl cruise is a one time thing, if that. I think most of the people on the boards who do dcl frequently are travel agents or employees or utubers, or have some connection that garners significant discounts. But that's just my read on that. I cannot see ever doing another dcl cruise that is longer than 4 nights. If we ever "splurge" it will be the extra thousand it will take for us to jump from Ccl to an Oasis type class ship. Lol.

So, I have been reading some of the opening price threads and there are sailings that are almost sold out or prices have gone up thousands in just 2 days. This completely turns me off DCL. It appears they do not want new cruisers to find them if sailings are not even available for the general public to book.

So, I have been reading some of the opening price threads and there are sailings that are almost sold out or prices have gone up thousands in just 2 days. This completely turns me off DCL. It appears they do not want new cruisers to find them if sailings are not even available for the general public to book.

It is weird because I really love Disney in general, but these last about 3 years I have been getting a weird vibe from dcl. They turn me off too. I'm not entirely sure why. Part of it is price of course, but there is more. We have a 4 night scheduled in December. We booked it a couple of years ago because it was literally the least expensive cruise dcl had on their site. Lol. It is still expensive, works out to 187 /person/night (where we are paying 107/person/night on our next ccl cruise that goes to far superior ports on a much newer ship), but in dcl's alternative reality 187 is pretty good. And yet, I am just not super excited about it. I have this feeling we will cancel in the end even though it is a great deal. It still feels like a rip off I guess. I hate that feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter