• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Carrying wine onboard questions?

I read your allowed to carry 2 bottles of wine per adult? Can someone explain the $25 fee? Is it per bottle? What’s included in that fee and are there any restrictions?

The 25$ charge is what’s called a corkage fee. It’s charged per bottle that you wish to consume in the dining room and applies to any bottle brought onboard.

It does not matter if it’s a twist cap or if you open the bottle yourself beforehand. They do not really charge for opening the bottle but rather for consuming wine that was not bought onboard.

If you consume the wine in your stateroom, there is no fee and your stateroom host will even provide a corkscrew. The policy states that you cannot walk around the ship with wine that you brought onboard.

For my cruise out of Miami in September, these are the prices (they may vary by departure port, I'm not sure). Classic listed first, then premium:

3 bottles: $98/$148
4 bottles: $128/$196
5 bottles: $153/$240
7 bottles: $206/$316

For my cruise out of Miami in September, these are the prices (they may vary by departure port, I'm not sure). Classic listed first, then premium:

3 bottles: $98/$148
4 bottles: $128/$196
5 bottles: $153/$240
7 bottles: $206/$316
That's the fee across all the ships.

The 25$ charge is what’s called a corkage fee. It’s charged per bottle that you wish to consume in the dining room and applies to any bottle brought onboard.

It does not matter if it’s a twist cap or if you open the bottle yourself beforehand. They do not really charge for opening the bottle but rather for consuming wine that was not bought onboard.

If you consume the wine in your stateroom, there is no fee and your stateroom host will even provide a corkscrew. The policy states that you cannot walk around the ship with wine that you brought onboard.
You used to be able to take a glass of wine with you to your dining table (from your stateroom), they don't allow that now?

You used to be able to take a glass of wine with you to your dining table (from your stateroom), they don't allow that now?
That has never been allowed since they limited the number of bottles you can bring onboard, but always tolerated. They do not want to police the glasses of wine you walk around with.

The official policy states :

• Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

This is difficult to monitor in actual practice. You are not supposed to consume wine brought onboard outside of your stateroom unless you take the bottle to the dining room and pay the corkage fee. However, you can request wine glasses from your stateroom host to use in your room. If you go to one of the bars before dinner and purchase a glass of wine, you can carry that from the bar to the dining room. (Also, when there was a Captain’s Reception on formal night with free drinks in the atrium, you could carry your drink into the dining room when you went in for dinner.) At the time you actually enter the dining room, there’s no clear difference between a glass of wine brought from your stateroom and a glass of wine purchased at one of the bars onboard.

We have been on 7 DCL cruises, have always brought our own wine onboard and gotten a cork screw and wine glasses from DCL and have always walked around the ship or walked into the dining room with a full glass of wine and no one has ever said a single word to us. Honestly, until reading this thread I didn't know that wine brought on board should only be consumed in your stateroom.

We have been on 7 DCL cruises, have always brought our own wine onboard and gotten a cork screw and wine glasses from DCL and have always walked around the ship or walked into the dining room with a full glass of wine and no one has ever said a single word to us. Honestly, until reading this thread I didn't know that wine brought on board should only be consumed in your stateroom.

Disney would not know the difference in where you got the wine from so that is why no one ever questioned you. It does state in the beverage policy that wine or beer brought onboard cannot be consumed in public areas.

MJ

This is difficult to monitor in actual practice. You are not supposed to consume wine brought onboard outside of your stateroom unless you take the bottle to the dining room and pay the corkage fee. However, you can request wine glasses from your stateroom host to use in your room. If you go to one of the bars before dinner and purchase a glass of wine, you can carry that from the bar to the dining room. (Also, when there was a Captain’s Reception on formal night with free drinks in the atrium, you could carry your drink into the dining room when you went in for dinner.) At the time you actually enter the dining room, there’s no clear difference between a glass of wine brought from your stateroom and a glass of wine purchased at one of the bars onboard.

We had the Captain's reception with free wine and booze on the Wonder Hawaii cruise. Is it not back on all the all the ships?

MJ

I read your allowed to carry 2 bottles of wine per adult? Can someone explain the $25 fee? Is it per bottle? What’s included in that fee and are there any restrictions?
Or a 6 pack of beer. The policy is for all the ports you visit not just on embarkation.

MJ

It was held in the Atrium before the 1st dinner seating and before the 2nd dinner seating. Not sure what day it was. Servers walked around Deck 4 and 5 by the atrium with trays of drinks. Some non alcoholic ones too.

MJ

We had the Captain's reception with free wine and booze on the Wonder Hawaii cruise. Is it not back on all the all the ships?

MJ
Was that the Hawaii to Vancouver cruise? We were on the Wonder Vancouver to Hawaii cruise, and if there was a Captain’s reception, we missed it.

Do you ask your stateroom host for fresh glasses everyday at the beginning of your cruise?
I'm getting ready for our next cruise and it would be the first time that we bring wine onboard. So I'm trying to figure out all the logistics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter