Cash vs DVC points?

CaliforniaDreaming

#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert
Can someone please explain to me the pros & cons of paying cash for the cruise vs using your DVC points? The DVC points seem like a lot for the cruise, especially consider the "$10/pt rule." What do you think? Save the DVC points for the DVC resorts?

Thanks for your opinions. ;)

You'll probably get a better response to this on the DVC board where this topic is discussed frequently.

IMO, DVC points get the best value when used at DVC resorts. That being said, you need to weigh whether or not you have the cash to finance a cruise vs. having the DVC points. If you don't have the cash for a cruise, or if it's going to be an "ouch!" to cruise, where you do have the points....well, it's a tough call sometimes.

It is nice that DVC gives you the flexability of using points for a cruise, so for some this really works well.n Don't forget there's also the option of mixing cash and points.

The $10/point thing needs to be taken in context - that's the going rate for point rental, but you need to factor in any hassle and risk associated with renting your points (finding a rentor, agreeing on terms, what if they back out, etc.). Lots of people do rent though, so the market is clearly there if you're willing to invest a little time using this method to finance your cruise.

I would prefer to pay cash to cruise than use my precious and limited DVC points for the cruise. Having said that, DH and I did use our points for our first ever cruise this November. I don't think I would do it this way again though. I will say that after our cruise, I may feel like it's the best thing since sliced bread and that we immediately need more points so we can cruise more often! I am hoping that is not how I feel though. I've seen the points go up and up every year for the cruise and pretty soon it will be out of "price" range so to speak unless we add on and that's not likely either.

We are looking forward to the cruise but will miss the spaciousness of our normal two bedroom villa at Hilton Head. I know there is so much to do on the ship and being pampered with the service and food offerings is something I am definitely looking forward to. I'll reserve my judgment of whether I felt it was worth it to use the points after we return!

Rent your points or pay cash,if you have it.
biggthumpup.gif

using DVC points for anything other than DVC properties is a losing proposition (from the perspective of benefit you get for the cost/value).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter