cashier gave me to much back

Canada doesn’t have mailboxes. Mail is delivered by beavers on mushing sleds and left in empty Tim Horton cups set in the snow bank by the front door.

This really made me laugh. 😀 We definitely can put outgoing mail in mailboxes. In this city (Montreal), we have mailboxes on every 3rd or 4th corner. If ever I can’t make it that far, I’ll slide it in the beavers mouth with a note attached. Although in 50 years, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one. Lol

I'd return it. If you can't get there soon, call and let them know to expect you.

I had the opposite happen a few months ago. I was short changed $10. It was easy enough to fix, since it was at the end of the night the were getting ready to count the cash drawers anyway. And yep, that draw was over $10 and they gave it back to me.

It happens, we're human. As long as the employee isn't making large mistakes on a regular basis, it's fine.

This really made me laugh. 😀 We definitely can put outgoing mail in mailboxes. In this city (Montreal), we have mailboxes on every 3rd or 4th corner. If ever I can’t make it that far, I’ll slide it in the beavers mouth with a note attached. Although in 50 years, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one. Lol
Where I live in NJ mailboxes have dwindled over the past decades. Hardly anywhere now.
No more telephone booths either. When you see one it is a relic that needs to be pointed out, lol.
But we still have beavers :)

Where I live in NJ mailboxes have dwindled over the past decades. Hardly anywhere now.
No more telephone booths either. When you see one it is a relic that needs to be pointed out, lol.
Wherever you receive your mail is where you can put outgoing mail. That's why traditional mailboxes have flags. You raise the flag when it has outgoing mail.

Wherever you receive your mail is where you can put outgoing mail. That's why traditional mailboxes have flags. You raise the flag when it has outgoing mail.
But we used to also have public mailboxes everywhere. Hardly any around now.

When I was a kid I thought the mailman would raise the flag to let you know your mail has arrived.

I lived in the city until age 12 and we received our mail thru a slot on the front door. The closest mailbox was 1/2 block away.

I don't even know if there are drop mailboxes in my area anymore.

Same here. The only mail boxes seem to be near the post office buildings or government buildings. I am not sure I even know where the nearest public phone is located now. But I did see some fire call boxes on telephone poles the other week and realized I also hadn’t seen them for a while either.

You can't put outgoing mail in your mailbox here or it will get stolen....:sad2: That little flag is a beacon to thieves driving by. :sad2:

ETA....OP, you're awesome! :thumbsup2

My closest postbox is in the Publix shopping center, which would really make mailing a check a moot point if I were the OP.

In situations like that, I heard Justin Trudeau will kayak up to your backyard and pick up your outgoing mail as a personal favor.

E8F128EF-EFA8-49AC-AA7D-D552662FF2F8.jpeg

I live in an apartment building. No flags here. The mailbox is on the outside of the building (not in a lobby) so I can't just leave it sitting on top. I have to actually find a box to put it in. So annoying.

Canada doesn’t have mailboxes. Mail is delivered by beavers on mushing sleds and left in empty Tim Horton cups set in the snow bank by the front door.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

And just having been in Canada and watched one plop down in front of the tree outside of Tim Hortons, smile at me, and fire one up, those beavers are probably stoned out of their minds as well.

Keep it. It’s priced in already.
OP had already returned the money when this was posted.
No, it is not "priced in" already. (What does that even mean - that it was accounted for? Not if this store is like most).
To err is human. OP considerately went out of their way to return the money the same day, so the cashier wouldn't be in (too much?) trouble.

When I was a kid I thought the mailman would raise the flag to let you know your mail has arrived.

I lived in the city until age 12 and we received our mail thru a slot on the front door. The closest mailbox was 1/2 block away.

I don't even know if there are drop mailboxes in my area anymore.
My ex mother in law, since she is very rural and can barely see her mailbox in the distance at the end of the driveway had a mailbox that put a different color flag up when the mailman opened the door so she could see if the mail had come yet. She had a pair of binoculars in the kitchen for this purpose and just had the perfect angle to see between 2 pine trees to see it as opposed to taking 20 minutes to walk down, find out it hasn't come yet, and walk back with another trip when it does come.

I live in a large apartment building with a bank of small locked mailboxes. No way to indicate you have outgoing mail; put it in your mail slot and the carrier assumes it's your mail they previously delivered. Stick a letter in the molding above the boxes, there's a 50/50 chance it'll get picked up.

They may or may not get in trouble if you return it. I would imagine they may get in bigger trouble if you don't. If they gave too much change to a customer, that is likely seen as an accident. If it just shows up missing from their register, they may be accused of theft.

No, it is not "priced in" already. (What does that even mean - that it was accounted for? Not if this store is like most).
To err is human. OP considerately went out of their way to return the money the same day, so the cashier wouldn't be in (too much?) trouble.

Stores calculate some level of loss (theft, spoilage, etc) into their operating costs. I'm assuming that's what they meant.

It means that when stores price out their goods they expect some registers to not tie out perfectly. This is business as usual.

It’s like why women’s clothing costs more than men’s. Stores expect higher returns for women’s clothing, so they price it in and charge more.

It has been a while since you've mailed something. No need to hunt for a place to mail, wherever you get your mail you can also drop off, whether it's your mailbox, unit. or post office.
Not in Canada. Urban centres have move largely towards “super-boxes” where all the homes on the block will have their mail delivered to one centralized unit. Those do have a place for outgoing mail. I still receive mine at my front door and the mail carriers are not permitted to take outgoing mail.

:thumbsup2 At least the trail the beaver’s tail leaves in the snow makes tracking a package easy.
...In situations like that, I heard Justin Trudeau will kayak up to your backyard and pick up your outgoing mail as a personal favor.

View attachment 469999
:rolleyes1 You heard wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter