Cass, Rob & Kira - Disneyland June 2023 - "Our lights! Our watches! Our bands!"

Timon

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
To all who come to this happy (trip report) place:
:welcome:

We recently returned from a 5-night trip to the happiest place on Earth and I would to share this adventure with you. :goodvibes

A little backstory is required this time. ::yes::

Back in November last year, an opportunity came up for our daughter Kira, to go on a school trip to New York City during their May long-weekend break. There were about 40 kids plus chaperones going on this trip. They spent their lunch hours and a few weekends getting together to plan for their trip from January until May. In the days before they were due to fly, Westjest airlines was set to go on a pilot strike. They didn't actually strike but in their preparations for this possible strike, they cancelled hundreds of flights and one of them just so happened to be their NYC flight. We found out just a few short hours before we were to head to the airport. By that night, they were able to rebook all of the kids on an Air Canada flight the next day, so they would still get to go, but they would lose a day.

We were to meet at the US departures area by 10:30am for their 2:30pm flight to Newark. Once group photos were done and everyone organized themselves into their pods with their leaders, all of the parents said good-bye while the kids went off to the Air Canada desk to check-in all together. Once they had their boarding passes, they would then head in to US Customs and security. Well, while we were grouping together, Kira's pod leader told me that they weren't all confirmed on the fight yet, so while the parents trickled out, I refused to leave. Rob asked me when I wanted to leave and I replied "Not until they all have their boarding passes in hand."

yyc.jpg

I knew that if you are not confirmed on a flight, there is a chance you will not be on the flight. I felt bad because Rob was missing work but my gut told me to stick around. Well, as they started to check-in, many of the kids were not receiving their boarding passes. Apparently, their system had not transferred all of their bookings yet and over half the kids still weren't confirmed on the flight. Since the airlines have a 90 minute deadline for international flights (due to customs) they decided that by that deadline, if they all didn't have their boarding passes, then the trip would be cancelled. They were all troopers and held out until the last minute but in the end, it was cancelled. :sad1:

Kira was thrilled that we stayed because she was back in jammies, playing her video game on the couch before any of the other parents were able to get back to the airport to pick up their kids. :p She was bummed but she took it like a champ.

We decided the next day that we would take her to NYC ourselves. Rob has never been there and I've been there a few times but only for a day or two before a cruise. She was done with her exams by the 21st of June, so we planned a 5-night trip, leaving on the 23rd. I spent the next month researching the crap out of NYC. I planned to see everything that she was supposed to see on her school trip and more! I had notes in my phone with history, facts, and trivia about every place we were going to visit. I memorized the subway system, knew all of our stops, bought Yankees tickets, Broadway tickets, 9/11 Museum tickets, Statue of Liberty Pedestal tickets and more! Tom Delgado & Jon Barr became my best friends. :teeth:

Then this happened....

0x0.jpg

New York got hit with wildfire smoke. This was nothing new to us. Living in Calgary, we deal with smoke from British Columbia all the time. Some weeks, it's so bad that we can't even go outside. While the worst of it was done by the time we were to leave, the air quality was still not great. Kira and I are allergic to smoke and she has asthma. We joked that for whatever reason, the universe was telling Kira to stay away from New York. :rolleyes2

With just under two weeks to go, I made the decision to postpone our NYC trip and go to Disneyland instead. :rolleyes1

I had been itching to get back for awhile now. It had been just over four years since our last visit, flights were still available and I got a fantastic rate for an on-site hotel! Rob had already gotten the time off, my brother was already taking care of our two doggies. It just made sense. ::yes::

So, now you know how this trip came about, let's get this sucker started, shall we? :cool:

Last edited:
June 22nd, Part 1

We had to shift our trip by one day for the flights, thankfully my brother was okay with this. He had to work that morning and we weren't leaving for the airport until 11am so he came and picked up the doggies for us. :dogdance::dogdance:

This was such a weird trip. We didn't put up our Disney countdown calendar (why bother, right?) and we didn't really plan anything, we were leaving for the airport way later than we normally do and our brains were still in NYC mode. Well, mine was anyway. :rolleyes2

I wasn't even in trip mode yet and I will tell you now that I was kind of a slacker with taking photos. :rolleyes: I mean, I took plenty of them, more than most normal human beings but for me, I was not in the zone. Especially that first day, it was Rob and Kira who reminded me about taking photos of certain things. I think my brain was still scrambled with all of that NYC stuff. :faint:

Rob reminded me to take this familiar one. :p

1.jpg

As usual, Rob dropped off Kira and I with all of our stuff and we checked us in, tagged and dropped our checked bags while Rob went to Park2Go to drop off our vehicle.

2.jpg

They have new kiosks on the US side and it was a pain to check in. Normally this is where I scan everyone passports but unless you had a checked bag (Kira did not since we were able to fit everything into two bags instead of three) the machine did not require you to scan your passport.

2a.jpg

We were all done by the time Rob got back to us. There was a massive line for security and while Calgary airport does not have a dedicated Nexus (Pre-check) line, it does allow you to skip most of the regular line, so that definitely came in handy today as the line looked to be at least 45 minutes long.

3.jpg

Since it was now past breakfast serving hours and our usual haunt, The Kitchen, no longer offers all day breakfast, we headed over to Belgian Beer Cafe, who does. They are owned by the same people who own The Kitchen and they have the same delicious grainy bread that I like. 🤤

It was delicious!

4.jpg

Rob was missing his oatmeal but he found a good option with his chicken and waffles.

5.jpg

Kira had eaten her waffles before we left home so she just had some toast and peanut butter. I went and got Rob and Kira some chocolate croissants and some water while they found a spot to chill until our boarding time.

6.jpg

We headed down to our gate and while Kira and I made a bathroom stop, Rob heard Kira's name being called by our gate agent. I knew it was because we didn't scan her passport, so we went up and got that taken care of and then shortly thereafter, we started boarding.

We normally prefer the back of the plane but there were only a few rows left when I checked in 24 hours earlier and I spied that there was a row before the wing empty, so I grabbed it. Well, the joke was on me because my window seat (which I NEED when I fly) was not technically a window seat!. :mad:

Note to self, do not book row 7! :rolleyes2

Thankfully the lady in front of me had two windows and she let me keep the back one open during take off and landing.

7.jpg

Kira took our usual family selfie and off we went! I was super excited because for the very first time, we were flying to the John Wayne airport in Santa Ana, instead of our usual LAX! And it was a direct flight! :cool1:

SNA is only 20 minutes away from Disneyland without traffic while LAX is about an hour and if there's traffic, it can easily take 2-3 hours! We were landing right during rush hour, so I was doubly thankful for being closer to Disneyland.

The flight was about three and a half hours but it flew by pretty quickly.

8.jpg

We flew over Vegas and I got to see the Strip, which was pretty cool. Because of the daylight, it was hard to see though as my phone kept focusing on the window instead of the view.

You know you're in California when....

9.jpg

And there's the traffic we were going to be headed into. :rolleyes:

10.jpg

11.jpg

John Wayne is a small airport and has tons of small planes. We saw little planes landing at the same time as big planes, it was pretty cool! They had tons of hangers and places to park your small planes, it was neat to see.

12.jpg

There's only about 22 gates and it's basically one big long terminal.

13.jpg

While we waited for our bags, I went and took a few pics.

14.jpg

It was a very nice airport, clean, spacious, not busy, easy to get around. Complete opposite from LAX. :love:

16.jpg

17.jpg

Our two bags came down quite quickly and then we headed back up to the top level and across the street where the Ride Share location is. Easy peasy! And the weather was delightful! Warm but with a beautiful breeze!

18.jpg

Look at those gorgeous palm treeeeeees!!! :lovestruc

19.jpg

Our Uber XL came quite quickly. He was a lovely gentleman with a very thick accent but we managed to have a nice chat with him all the way to the hotel. We got stuck in traffic a little, which added an extra 10-15 minutes but wasn't bad at all. We were all astounded with how many motorcycles passed us in between the cars! :scared1:

Apparently it's legal to do that here, crazy!

Almost there! :woohoo:

20.jpg

I love the Anaheim area near Disneyland, so many gorgeous trees and flowers. They really did a great job here. I've walked the perimeter of the parks a few times now and despite all of the steps, the view makes it worth it!

21.jpg

One more turn to the right and into Disney's Grand Californian! :cool1:

It was pricey but like I said, I got a great discount and it was actually only a few hundred dollars more total than the hotel we booked in NYC! :rolleyes:

We stayed here for one night on our last trip in 2019 but we didn't do parks while we were here so we were so excited to take advantage of the proximity of the parks this time. :cool1:

22.jpg

Happy to be here! :hyper:

23.jpg

I love all the details of this resort. If you stay here or have some extra time to kill, I highly recommend exploring the hotel, so many wonderful details and spaces to explore. I took some tours back in 2015 and learned a lot. Once you know some of the trivia and background, you tend to appreciate it more.

24.jpg

Our room was on the fifth floor, around the central lobby, with a somewhat obstructed pool view. I normally would never book a pool view room but that's all they had.

I will caution you that if your room is located around that central lobby area and/or near the pool, it is very noisy! From 8am until 10pm, they either have someone playing the piano in the lobby or they have the sound of the piano playing. Even with your door shut, you can hear it from your bed. And with the pool, even though we were located away in a corner, and the door was fully shut, I could hear kids screaming all day long. The location of the hotel more than made up for this but if quiet is what you seek, ask for a room away from the lobby and pool. ::yes::

The rooms are exactly the same as they were in 2019. Still in great shape and quite beautiful.

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Gotta love the little stool with Mickey ears. :earboy2:

32.jpg

33.jpg

Two very plush robes that Kira and I made use of. :teeth:

34.jpg

And here's a view from our balcony.

35.jpg

I am at my image limit so I will end this chapter here.

In the next chapter you will hear about a funny line Kira said that ALMOST became the title of this trip report. :rolleyes1:rotfl2:

Last edited:

Yeahhh another TR thanks Timon
We love disneyland so much ! Might very well be overdue for a visit

Ok, caught up. I was in Philly when that smoke was so bad and it was horrible! You made the right call to go to DL instead! I love the Grand! Its my happy place! Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!

Jill in CO

Here to read along. Yup us in Ontario had the smoggy smoke look but not as bad as NYC.
Good decision as NYC will still be there when you can enjoy it.

Here!!!!!! I didn't realize that her trip was cancelled literally that close to the departure time. What a total bummer for those kids!
I can't wait to read and see all the pictures!

Woohoo, I'm here! I'm sorry to hear all the reasons behind the two cancelled NYC trips but man....what a great alternative :cheer2: Sigh. I miss the Grand! On our last trip we stayed at the BW at the cross walk and while the location is fantastic for offsite, it's no Grand Californian ;-) Unfortunately was not able to snag a room with our points at the 7 month mark (shocker) but I'm hopeful now that the DLH has dvc villas we can get in there for our next trip - or snag the Grand because everyone wants to stay at the DLH :rotfl2:

SNA is a great airport but we've only used it once because it's usually so much more expensive for us from YVR even factoring traffic and uber cost. But I always check that airport first lol

Can't wait for more!!

bought Yankees tickets, Broadway tickets, 9/11 Museum tickets, Statue of Liberty Pedestal tickets and more!
What happened to all of these? We have a DCL cruise booked in Oct sailing from NYC and I’m hesitant to pull the trigger on Broadway tickets because I’m just so paranoid after COVID of trips being cancelled.

I`m here! As always looking forward to this report ::yes:: Seeing your post made me realize that I believe I never finished you previous report, darn notifications that stop out of the blue! Now I got me 2 reports to read, not a bad thing ;)
We were at the Calgary airport last week (our flights between the maritimes to the west coast were absolute nightmares both ways) and I caught myself looking around in case I would catch you guys flying out somewhere. Then I thought to myself, ok you are nuts girl! But I can see from your dates above that we were there just a couple days apart 😂

Woohoo here for another one. It’s been a long time since I have been to Disneyland can’t wait to hear about your trip.

Hooray for another trippie!!! Excited to read all about Disneyland. It's still on my bucket list for someday!! So wonderful that you were able to make the changes from NYC to Disneyland rather than miss out on a trip altogether!

Joining in! Poor Kira missing her trip! I am so proud of how she handled it. I am an adult (by age only) and have handled a cancelled trip like a toddler (Thanks Hurricane Irma). Since then I have had 2 trips Covid cancelled, and last week had a trip to California cancelled after sitting on the plane for three hours!

That said, a trip to Disneyland is a GREAT consolation prize! I have always wanted to stay at the GC. It looks so gorgeous and relaxing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter