Cast in Parks & on DCL

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
Just got back from Doctor's office w/DS...told he has a "fibular sesamoid fracture" on his foot. Although we're trying PT, etc.; there's a good possibility he'll have a cast on foot during upcoming WDW/DCL trip. Doctor sez it shouldn't be a mobility issue, not to cancel the trip. I'm not too sure.

Lots of really dumb questions:

1. Do airports have wheelchairs available for rent/usage?

2. I know they have them @ WDW, will have to read up on the particulars. We'll be staying 5 days, should we rent one from an offsite co or thru WDW?

3. Wonder if he could handle an electric one (he's 12)? Somewhat afraid he'd run into someone by mistake if it's crowded.

4. Please tell me WDW will let him ride the attractions.

5. Will they let him cruise with a cast? Do they have chairs available in Nassau or on board the Wonder?

Thanks in advance for your patience, I am quite clueless; all advice is welcome.

1. Airports do not charge for wheelchairs. The airline will have a skycap take you all the way to the airplane and you will be met on arrival with a wheelchair. Note that you will be first on the plane and last off. Also the skycap should be tipped. Some airlines will allow you to handle the wheelchiar yourself instad of using a skycap.

2. If you rent from offsite you are sure of getting one that will fit him and it will be available at all times. If you are staying at a Disney Resort you can borrow one for length of stay or rent daily at the parks. However you can get a better one offsite.

3. A person must be 18 for using an ECV from either Disney or an off-site company. If he is caught using it that is a violation of the contract.

4. Disney will allow him to ride any attraction where he would not be a hazard to either himself or any other guest. Basically I cannot think of any specific restriction.

5. One thing to think about is renting one from a Durable Medical Equipment company where you live. He should be able to get a lightweight, easy to push chair. It can fold up for transport. The airline cannot count it against carry-on luggage and (I think) must allow it to be stored in the cabin. You will be able to have it on the cruise and for any other use. I would suggest bringing a bicycle lock or lock and chain with you. At WDW you would not lock it to anything if it is felt alone, but lock it to itself so a CM can move it a few feet if necessary but nobody can roll it away.

p.s. A stupid question is one you do not ask because you fear it would show ignorance.

Cheshire Figment - thanks for your comprehensive reply. I wan't aware that chairs came in sizes. Initially, I was thinking we'd have to cancel our trip; but I think we can get this to work out. Glad you mentioned renting one @ home.

Cheshire Figment said:
5. One thing to think about is renting one from a Durable Medical Equipment company where you live. He should be able to get a lightweight, easy to push chair. It can fold up for transport. The airline cannot count it against carry-on luggage and (I think) must allow it to be stored in the cabin. You will be able to have it on the cruise and for any other use. I would suggest bringing a bicycle lock or lock and chain with you. At WDW you would not lock it to anything if it is felt alone, but lock it to itself so a CM can move it a few feet if necessary but nobody can roll it away.
I'd second renting one from home. That way, you will have it for your whole trip. You could get a skycap with a wheelchair at the airport, but it will be much easier if you have one.
The airline can't charge you or count the wheelchair as part of your baggage or carry on luggage.
Some planes have a coat closet in the cabin that is large enough to hold a folded wheelchair. There is only room for one wheelchair (and not all planes have a coat closet). It is available on a first come first serve basis, so you should arrive early to make your request. Call your airline and ask - some airlines will allow you to request ahead of time rather than at the ariport.
Wheelchairs can also be gate checked. Ask when you check in. They will put a gate check tag on the wheelchair and you can keep it until you board. at boarding, you drive it right to the gate, then fold it up and leave it for the baggage handlers to load. It will be brought to the gate for you again when the plane lands (don't hurry to get off; they are not always real fast to deliver it.

Here's a recent thread about someone whose son broke his leg. It might be helpful to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter