• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cast Member Discounts

I wish I would've made more use of this when I was a CM! I was able to get my friend a room at the Contemporary for $105 when he came to visit me from Chicago. I told him if my roommate Ingid was working to mention that you knew me. Sure enough, she was working when he checked in and she ended up getting him a garden wing room for $69 a night...wow! It was such a nice room! And when you're a poor college student who just spent all your money to fly down and visit your best friend, it was like staying in a palace for him!

DisneyCM said:
At this point your friend would have to be a WDW CM since Disney Store no longer gets this benefit as of 2 weeks ago.
HTH

There are other CMs that are not WDW CMs. Mine works for the Catalog and were not sold with TDS. We still get all of our perks.

Would the staff on Disney's cruiseline be considered CM. I know quite a feww of them and have gotten good discounts on my previous Disney cruises.Think they can help me with my stay at the YC in July.

PamNC... some things have changed over the year.
CM's aren't supposed to discuss salaries, benefits or perks. Your best form of information is to ask the friend who may be able to get you the discount.

It's not that big a deal...If he doesn't even want to try and see what he can do, thats cool.

I just know that he's going to want a ton of Sony stuff (I get new games for $10) and what comes around goes around. Like I said before, he works the overnight shift as a security guard and he said that he would meet us at the gate to let us in the parks a few days....Thats nice enough I guess....

His whole family lives in Kissimmee, so I have a pretty good idea that he doesn't use the hotel discount at all...I flat out asked if he could get a discount on hotels in disney and he said no....I'm not sweating it...Feb 9th we leave!

Sammie said:
I have noticed in some of your posts you seem to be very easily upset by what others post.

My comments to the OP should have no effect on you, as stated many times when people post they are not even able to read the previous post at the time they post theirs.

I really do not understand your hostility.

I have noticed this as well. I keep wondering what the problem is with the hostility. Geesh!!!

As for the current topic at hand, a CM told me that they get 50% off. When available of course. I don't think it's really a big secret. I didn't even know the CM and they told me.

My husband is a cast member. We get 50% off on rooms. And I'm pretty sure that's the same rate for all cast members. Participants are a different story (people who dont work DIRECTLY for disney...ie Planet Hollywood, Swan & Dolphin, etc)

eeyore0062...
Really? I am a Seasonal cast member (formerly full time) ...My husband is a Cast member now (Management- full time) and was never told not to discuss anything?!

Allyerrn -- CONGRATS on finishing the half marathon! :jumping4: Good for you.

Your DH would have signed a Disney confidentuality agreement.

allyerrn said:
eeyore0062...
Really? I am a Seasonal cast member (formerly full time) ...My husband is a Cast member now (Management- full time) and was never told not to discuss anything?!

It was in the Disney handbook back when I started in 1999... However, since it has already been discussed here anyway.... A WDW CM can get UP TO 50% off of the rack rate on rooms if available for the CM's use and we can get it as often as we like during the year, but we have to be staying in one of the rooms. We can have up to 3 rooms on one reservation and a reservation can be up to 7 nights. The most a CM can get for friends and family has been decreased to 40% as of Jan.1st 2005. We can get that up to 5 times a year and still can have up to 3 rooms to a reservation but one reservation cannot be more than 7 days. Still not a bad deal. I never use all of my Friends and Family---they all want to stay with us and we don't even have a pool, and I can tell you, its NOT because of my cooking! :rolleyes:

When i go down to Florida i would prefer to stay with my freinds also. Not to save money on the room but because i am thereat her home a lot. Since she has a house full of people all of the time ( 3 kids one of who is a baby, her parents, and 2 sisters) staying there isnt fesable. The last time i went i didnt want to have her make the ressies cause i know that she has to either show up at the resort or fax her ID. She was starting her maternity leave at the time and i knew she had other issues that would make this difficult for her. I didnt even let her or her husband know we wer comming. I surprised her hubby while he was working the guest relations window at the MK ( boy was he surprised!)

I love that I can get a good rate. She has offered to get the CM rate for both my sister and my cousins if they go down. I try not to use her passes to get into the parks because she has a large family and her inlaws who she needs to be able to get into the parks.

She and some of her family have come to NYC a few times and stayed with us so i feel a little better about asking her for the discounts.

:earsgirl: I feel sorry for the Disney Store Castmembers and I think in the long run Disney is going to lose alot of money. There were alot of castmembers who came to Disney to spend alot of money because they had some of the perks. The ones I know who would go sometimes as many as 4 to 5 times a year haven't been back since the buy out and don't foresee going back anytime soon. I don't know why they had to lose the perks because the ones who stayed did because they love Disney and they still sell the Disney products. When the castmembers I knew went to Disney they took their families and so that was alot of money that Disney will soon realize they will miss because of all the food, souveniers, hotels and passes that they still had to purchase because they only got so many passes a year and even though they got a percent off merchandise it is marked up so high that Disney still made money! Maybe when they sit back and look they will give the castmembers back some of the perks. If they only gave them the option of booking a resort a 50% off only twice a year and they give them only 30% off the merchandise at least it would get them back to Disney because now they have lost them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a CM rate once by my friend's mother. I think it was 50% off rack rate. i'm pretty sure she went and showed ID before arrival. I ended up getting a preffered room. It was great. :)

First, Sorry for posting to an old thread, but I think I have an idea why the Disney Store employees lost their benefits. As an accountant, I have dealt alot with governmantal rules (SEC, FASB, etc.). I would think that giving them benefits from an outside entity (Disney) would be against the rules. Employees in general are not allowed to accept anything from an outside company that is worth over $50. While a discount is hard to quantify (especially if not used), I think it would be hard to argue that it is worth less than $50. There are exceptions to this rule, but it is what came to mind when I read about this.

Considering how much Disney was losing on those stores.... I think the lost income from CMs visiting on a discount was the least of their worries!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter