• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cast members not acting "in character?"

WaDiWo

WDWFan!
Hi all!

This is not a criticism, just more of an observation and question. I've always marvelled and appreciated how Cast Members are trained, and loved how the park CM's, no matter what the position, would be acting in their "role." For example, a cashier at Pecos Bill would act like someone from the Old West, and the Space Mountain ride operators would be like space travellers or spaceport workers, and even in conversations with guests would make you feel like you were about to go in outer space.

Maybe I was younger then, but has the training changed? Maybe I'm older now and notice more things, or maybe WDW is so crowded the CMs have no time to do anything extra "on stage." But on recent trips, for example, the Soarin' ride operators didn't act like flight crew, and other CMs in other lands didnt act at all.

You know what I mean ... The Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror are great examples of how they are still in character.

Just wondering. Don't get me wrong, Disney is still tops in customer service!

I just wanted to mention that Cast Members do their very best to stay in role. However, that being said, after 10, 11, 12, or even more hour shifts, sometimes their performance is not perfect. I truly believe that they are never intentionally trying to act out of character or ruin any magic, sometimes, well, they can just get a little tired and it takes a moment to fly back into the magical role.

If a Cast Member is blatantly acting out of role, that's one thing, but if they are simply taking your fastpass and not saying "Reach for the sky partner" - it shouldn't be taken too close to heart. :)

Hi all!

This is not a criticism, just more of an observation and question. I've always marvelled and appreciated how Cast Members are trained, and loved how the park CM's, no matter what the position, would be acting in their "role." For example, a cashier at Pecos Bill would act like someone from the Old West, and the Space Mountain ride operators would be like space travellers or spaceport workers, and even in conversations with guests would make you feel like you were about to go in outer space.

Now how the heck do they do that????? Yes, there are certain attractions like JC, HM and ToT where the 'act' is a very important part of the CM's job. But the number of attractions where this is true is, IMO, very small.

Give me a friendly, polite CM and 99.9% of the time I'm happy.

Now how the heck do they do that????? Yes, there are certain attractions like JC, HM and ToT where the 'act' is a very important part of the CM's job. But the number of attractions where this is true is, IMO, very small.

I agree completely.

yes, i agree. Like I said in my OP, I was younger and was amazed at the role-playing. The CM on our Keys to the Kingdom tour said that every attraction and land has a back story, and the CMs are to be detailed on it, so that they can play the role in many ways, such as the "proper" facial expressions and mannerisms like a polite bow/nod/courtsy in the Medieval-like theme of Fantasyland, to the simple use of terms like "traveller" and "mission" in speaking in Space Mountain.

I give CMs all the credit in the world; I for one could not do all that plus dealing with your own job, and the heat, and the tourists. :)

:thumbsup2

I think most CMs are doing well enough considering the pressures of their job, as long as another HM one doesn't whip out their cell phone to text someone in front of me again. :sad2: Unless they were using it to contact more spirits on the other side.

I think most CMs are doing well enough considering the pressures of their job, as long as another HM one doesn't whip out their cell phone to text someone in front of me again. :sad2: Unless they were using it to contact more spirits on the other side.

This is the age of technology, could be work related...

I found that the CMs did a sufficient amount of role playing when we went last week. It certainly adds to the experience and makes it more fun but if they are just simply politely loading us into the ride then that is okay too.

The best theming for me was at Be Our Guest. I absolutely loved it! The person seating us talked about how it's so nice and cozy inside since its snowing outside. I asked our waitress if we could try the gray stuff and she said Mrs. Potts prepared some just for me. It just made the experience so nice!

I found that the CMs did a sufficient amount of role playing when we went last week. It certainly adds to the experience and makes it more fun but if they are just simply politely loading us into the ride then that is okay too.

The best theming for me was at Be Our Guest. I absolutely loved it! The person seating us talked about how it's so nice and cozy inside since its snowing outside. I asked our waitress if we could try the gray stuff and she said Mrs. Potts prepared some just for me. It just made the experience so nice!

Even the CS lunch staff was amazing here - we were greeted with applause as the restaurant opened, and the hostess at the front handed out umbrellas to keep us shaded from the sun as we waited. The CM who brought our food was sweet and efficient too. Not sure what else would be expected of them to 'keep in character' as I don't want them to act like magical inanimate objects when I'm hungry, LOL!

I love when they take the opportunity to make you feel like you've stepped into another reality. There was an older man working at BTMRR in my last trip whose voice and mannerisms were like a gold prospector out of an old Western movie, and he really added to the experience. And the Town Crier outside Columbia Harbour House in Liberty Square is a hoot.

It's a little different in shops and restaurants, where you're exchanging goods and money and communication has to be crystal-clear.

Just as long as nobody on the Mad Tea Party offers me two lumps.

I've been going to WDW since '99. Probably twice a year, at least. Some years, more than that!!! I haven't ever had CMs 'in character' in stores or counter service spots. Sure, they are 'in character' on ToT, HM, and even BTMRR. Other than that, not much need to be. Not everyone is able to 'perform' a character. So, those chosen to work Jungle Cruise or TGMR have to be 'on' all the time. But CMs at Space Mt or Soarin'? Nope, for me they are basically ride operators. I don't expect them to be in character.

One thing to remember is often times a CM might have multiple roles

I spoke with a cashier the other day at Pecos Bill's who also works in the kitchen and seating people

I am emailing Disney Guest Services today to say thanks for a couple of extra nice pool attendants over at BC

The thing I noticed most is how the CM's interacted with my DD when she was younger (9, 10, 12 years old) vs. how they interact with her now that she's 15. She was a bit bummed out on our last trip (she was 14) when she realized the CM's didn't directly interact with her anymore like they used to (call her a princess, talk directly to her, etc.)

I know that most kids that age might not like it, but my DD would rather be at Disney than anywhere else, so a bit of the magic has died for her as she's gotten older.

I'm NOT complaining, I know that's life, even if it's disappointing.

I was a CM at Star Tours back in 2001. I used to be in character all the time, but it was NEVER in the training. They encouraged anything and everything to involve/engage the guests, so obviously they welcome this kind of thing. However, it is not the norm except in the above mentioned attractions.

I, personally, would like to see this more often. The more a CM has fun with their role, the more the guest will be involved.

I was a CM at Star Tours back in 2001. I used to be in character all the time, but it was NEVER in the training. They encouraged anything and everything to involve/engage the guests, so obviously they welcome this kind of thing. However, it is not the norm except in the above mentioned attractions.

I, personally, would like to see this more often. The more a CM has fun with their role, the more the guest will be involved.

I love seeing a CM having fun with their role. Besides, making kids excited, it makes me happy that they seem to be enjoying their job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter