cast question

hugabearjo

DIS Veteran
we just found out that DS has a mass on the top of his foot and will have it removed in a week or two. He will then have to be in a boot or cast for 6 weeks. Problem is we leave for WDW in 4 weeks. of course this is the only year I didn't take the trip insurance out... ugh... plus he really wants to go. I will rent a wheelchair before we leave home.

I have searched and searched.... here is my question....the waterparks are DS's favorite thing.... what if anything are you limited to with a walking boot or cast. It will be a waterproof cast and the MD says it doesn't matter if he goes on anything we just need the foot to be immobile. So bouncing, or anything shouldn't be a problem.

I know this seems dumb but he really wants to do all the slides and stuff at the water park... he may change his mind once he feels how heavy the cast is.... but could he go on the slides etc. if he wanted?

Thanks in advance so I can prepare him for what to expect.

Jo

I don't think he will be able to tackle the slides as there are a lot of steps to get to them.

However, the wave pool is great and it has zero entry and the lazy river is also handicapped accessible.

There is a link to the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park (including the water parks) in post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.
Besides worrying about the case itself and whether it can be in the water, the CMs have to be concerned about whether the cast could be a hazard to other people if they get hit with it.
I don't have any actual knowledge about this, but my best guess is it's unlikely they would allow him on any of the slides that end up in a pool of water because his cast might hit someone. I would also think the wave pool would be out for the same reason.
Cheshire Figment can probably give you a better answer since he works at the water parks.

My DS recently fractured his wrist. His ortho put on the pro-cell lining in his cast so that it was 100% okay to swim, bathe, etc. This is a newer materiall and is not found everywhere. I would ask about this before the casting is completed. He swam and bathed every day. Kept his arm from itching, and it wasn't so smelly when it came off after 7 weeks. Just an idea....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter