Castaway Cary questions

NurseRunner79

Earning My Ears
I have tried searching existing threads but there are so many and I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for. Our first cruise is in approximately 2 weeks and we have 2 stops/days at Castaway Cay on our itinerary. We did not book any excursions, we are planning to just "wing it" and enjoy what's offered on the island.
I really want to know how important it is for us to to be off the ship early? Do we need to line up and try to be first off or can we relax and enjoy breakfast and not be stressed?
I have seen suggestions for not getting off at the first shuttle stop and going a bit further away from the ship in order to more easily get a spot on the beach - any thoughts on that?
Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!

I have tried searching existing threads but there are so many and I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for. Our first cruise is in approximately 2 weeks and we have 2 stops/days at Castaway Cay on our itinerary. We did not book any excursions, we are planning to just "wing it" and enjoy what's offered on the island.
I really want to know how important it is for us to to be off the ship early? Do we need to line up and try to be first off or can we relax and enjoy breakfast and not be stressed?
I have seen suggestions for not getting off at the first shuttle stop and going a bit further away from the ship in order to more easily get a spot on the beach - any thoughts on that?
Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!
You can do CC however you like. Personally, my favorite thing is to enjoy the whole morning on an almost empty ship, then head to the island after lunch. However, I visit in winter when rain is rare. Since you're going in summer, there might be afternoon showers to consider.

Regardless, there is no need to race off the boat unless you want a beach hammock or a lounger that is very close to the water.

We love CC. We usually have plenty of time to do breakfast while docking. It's fun to watch from the buffet, as the ship backs in. I like to get off the ship early, so we can get a pick of the umbrella and hammock.

I wish I was on one of the double dips cruises - love CC.

You don't need to run off the ship. There are plenty of chairs out there, though some people panic and hurry out for no reason. Some people like to get off early then come back and enjoy the ship in the afternoon. However, our recent double dipper I noticed this is becoming popular and the ship isn't so empty after lunch. The beach choice is personal. We usually stop at the first family beach just because it's always been fun for us. Since you are going on a double dipper, I would try both ends of the family beach and note which one you like for future reference.

If you want to snorkel, I do recommend getting off the ship quickly. We were lucky to be the first ones into the lagoon and had probably an hour or so to enjoy things before it got busier. I've heard the water gets cloudy once people start splashing around.

We had an unplanned double dip this past March. First day there we got off at the first tram stop, second day we got off at the second tram stop. I didn't notice a difference in regards to how close to the water/number of chairs available. We probably didn't get off of the ship until 9am or later and there were plenty of chairs available. We were on the Wonder, so less people than if on the Dream/Fantasy.

Relax! It is a double dip! You can take your time. I don't like the crunch of people. But with our double dip last summer, I didn't find any lines to get off. Knowing there are two stops makes everyone more relaxed about being there I think. I do agree with the previous post about the snorkeling though. It is nice to get out there before it gets too busy, but still no need to rush. Not all that many swim that far out.

Do you have kids? If not, (or if you leave them in a kids club activity) you might consider going to Serenity Beach, the 18+ adults only area. You do not need to be off the ship early for that. Plenty of loungers if you don't mind a little walking along the shore. The bar is however, at only one end of the beach, so if that is a priority, you might consider trying to get a lounger closer to that.

I would not plan on the second ashore day being available. So if there is literally a MUST DO activity, then try and do it the first day. No telling if you can't dock the second day due to weather or the like. They usually only offer 1 Castaway 5K if that is your thing too. Have a relaxing time!

If you want to snorkel, I do recommend getting off the ship quickly. .... I've heard the water gets cloudy once people start splashing around.

I absolutely agree.

Even just the normal splashing-around water changes as the day goes on. Our first time there, the first hour or two we were off the ship you could see fish swimming around, delighting (and scaring) the children. As the day went on the water got cloudier and the fish were either gone or not visible. It would likely be the same with the snorkeling lagoon.

Knowing there are two stops makes everyone more relaxed about being there I think.

I agree. That said, do what you want to do on the first stop, just in case weather steps in and prevents that second day.

I like to get off early and go to pelicuin plunge. It doesn’t open right away. I usually have to wait a little not long Maybe 15 minutes.. I go to both slides than I go to the adult beach. Do what you like there is no right or wrong way everyone is different. Don’t fall for the bottle water trick. There will be people selling bottle water before you leave the ship. Many newbies fall for it. There is no need to buy bottle water. There is water in 5 gallon jugs around castaway cay. Plus of course at lunch there is soda and water available.
Nothing wrong with buying the water if that’s what you like. But the people selling it acts like you really need it. Of course they work for tips.

Been to Castaway a few times now. We are early off and late on. Our last stop, the "last tram" horn sounded as we got on the tram.

We love the whole day, but if you dont need or want the whole day, things really thin out after lunch. From 2 (certainly 3) till all aboard you pretty much have it to yourself.

Bonus, by then plenty of tubes and floats have been discarded and can be used for free.

I could see a leisure breakfast, enjoy morning on board, disembark and get lunch at Cookies or Cookies Too and then enjoy a mostly empty island until all aboard.

Zig while the rest zag.

On a typical voyage where CC is the day before disembark, the photographers and characters tend to be out in the AM. I'm sure the schedule switches up some on a double-dip, but I would look at past Navigators for a double just to confirm if there are any early activities that do not require sign up that are of interest. While the schedule changes some, it is directional.

Just pointing out, one reason to leave early is to enjoy it before it all gets too hot. There is a reason it thins out after lunch - people are melting!

Just pointing out, one reason to leave early is to enjoy it before it all gets too hot. There is a reason it thins out after lunch - people are melting!

I agree. We have a lite breakfast, get off after the first wave piles onto the tram and enjoy the mid morning time on Serenity Beach. By the time everyone is going to lunch on CC, we pack up and head for the ship for lunch and then relax around the empty ship. Sometimes it too hot to even sit by the pool, unless you find a shady spot.

We just got off the double dip yesterday! You will love it. It is very laid back and I didn't feel stressed at all. Times below are approximate as I wasn't paying that close of attention! FYI - we have 3 kids, ages 2, 6 and 10.

Day 1 at CC: We had a leisurely breakfast at Cabana's, headed back to the room to get suits on and all lotioned up, and were off the ship around 9:30-9:45. Took the tram to the 2nd stop and parked it at the 2nd family beach, next to Pelican Plunge, for the day. All of the first and second rows of chairs were taken, but we easily found one in the last row. Our 10 year old loved Pelican Plunge. The beach and water was full, but in a fun way. Our kids easily started playing with others in the sand and in the water. Our 2 year old also liked the spray park that was close by. We ate lunch at Cookies Too. We left around 1pm for nap time, so not sure about the crowds in the afternoon.

Day 2 at CC: We decided the night before to try to get off around 8:30am to see if we could get a "front row" spot on the beach. It would be easier for us with the 3 kids to keep an eye on everyone and quickly get stuff from our belongings. Of course our kids slept in until after 8am! We quickly got on our suits, headed to cabana's and left straight from cabanas. We were probably off the ship between 9-9:15am. We got off at the first tram stop, but walked quite a ways down the first family beach. It was not crowded at all!!! We were enjoying seeing parts of CC we hadn't seen since we got off at the 2nd stop on our prior CC day. The "In Da Shade" section was cool and my 10 year old loved playing basketball and shuffle board. We set up "front row" in front of a water structure on the first family beach. My 6 year old loved that! Everyone said they liked this spot better.

Hope this helps! Good thing with the double dip is you can try different things and explore more! We can't wait until the kids are older and we can do even more on CC!

We just got off the double dip yesterday! You will love it. It is very laid back and I didn't feel stressed at all. Times below are approximate as I wasn't paying that close of attention! FYI - we have 3 kids, ages 2, 6 and 10.

Day 1 at CC: We had a leisurely breakfast at Cabana's, headed back to the room to get suits on and all lotioned up, and were off the ship around 9:30-9:45. Took the tram to the 2nd stop and parked it at the 2nd family beach, next to Pelican Plunge, for the day. All of the first and second rows of chairs were taken, but we easily found one in the last row. Our 10 year old loved Pelican Plunge. The beach and water was full, but in a fun way. Our kids easily started playing with others in the sand and in the water. Our 2 year old also liked the spray park that was close by. We ate lunch at Cookies Too. We left around 1pm for nap time, so not sure about the crowds in the afternoon.

Day 2 at CC: We decided the night before to try to get off around 8:30am to see if we could get a "front row" spot on the beach. It would be easier for us with the 3 kids to keep an eye on everyone and quickly get stuff from our belongings. Of course our kids slept in until after 8am! We quickly got on our suits, headed to cabana's and left straight from cabanas. We were probably off the ship between 9-9:15am. We got off at the first tram stop, but walked quite a ways down the first family beach. It was not crowded at all!!! We were enjoying seeing parts of CC we hadn't seen since we got off at the 2nd stop on our prior CC day. The "In Da Shade" section was cool and my 10 year old loved playing basketball and shuffle board. We set up "front row" in front of a water structure on the first family beach. My 6 year old loved that! Everyone said they liked this spot better.

Hope this helps! Good thing with the double dip is you can try different things and explore more! We can't wait until the kids are older and we can do even more on CC!
Sounds like you had a fabulous trip! Those memories last forever

We were just there this week and neither day did we get off super early. I think we were leaving the ship around 9:30 or 10:00. We didn’t see a need to be in the front row either. We ended up with a seat under an umbrella and a palm tree each time. We did both family beaches but liked the second one (don’t get off at the first tram stop, it will loop around and drop you off at the second beach). We thought it to be (maybe) slightly less crowded, but really liked the closeness of the dining, waterslide, and other amenities at the second beach.

We were lucky enough to score a cabana on SB once and I was going to get every second out of that cost. I was one of the first off and the cabana dude had to come get me at the end of the day and drive me back to the ship. On our other three cruises I have booked early fishing trips. This year we only have a 1pm parasailing excursion. We are going to try to book one of the ship photographers for the CC morning to take family and Senior photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter