Castaway Cay 5K medal

mathgeek

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me what medal they're handing out currently for the CC 5K? Are they still doing this OYO and handing out a medal? Just want to know if it's a different one than the one I picked up in March 2023.

It is still on your own and you get the medal at the bike stand. We just sailed a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it is the same medal we got last summer.

It was still on your own. I liked the old way of doing the 5K myself.
We ran into people who never did it before not knowing how many times to go around the loop, and we heard people talking that they were not going to the end of the runway by the beach.

This was from December 2023.
20240211_162837.jpg

Last edited:
We ran into people who never did it before not knowing how many times to go around the loop, and we heard people talking that they were not going to the end of the runway by the beach.

I like the old way too. We always met other runners that we would chat with or run the course with. It was fun. One time there was a CM who rode around on a bicycle cheering us on and passing out water. I can't remember his name. He was hilarious and certainly added to the experience.

I like the old way too. We always met other runners that we would chat with or run the course with. It was fun. One time there was a CM who rode around on a bicycle cheering us on and passing out water. I can't remember his name. He was hilarious and certainly added to the experience.
Yes my wife and I remember a cast member who did that. I think he was an American.
He coordinated everyone in the Walt Disney Theater, lead us all out to the 5K start line, made some announcements then started the race.
He was riding around on a bike and at the entrance to the loop.
At one point he was riding around the loop because he had to fix the water station. As we approached him he was picking it up because some how it had fallen over.

Yes my wife and I remember a cast member who did that. I think he was an American.
He coordinated everyone in the Walt Disney Theater, lead us all out to the 5K start line, made some announcements then started the race.
At one point he was riding around the loop because he had to fix the water station. As we approached him he was picking it up because some how it had fallen over.
I believe you are right. I wish I could remember his name, he made us laugh hysterically.

Was that when "run Disney" was involved? I don't think they are anymore. So that could be why it's more informal. Maybe?

It is still on your own and you get the medal at the bike stand. We just sailed a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it is the same medal we got last summer.

View attachment 833307
This is the medal I have already. Saves me from doing it again. Thanks!

Was that when "run Disney" was involved? I don't think they are anymore. So that could be why it's more informal. Maybe?
I think it was more formal with the meet up on board and walk to the start line together up until Covid. When the cruises started back up they went to doing it OYO and haven't gone back. I kind of like it this way b/c then I'm not tied to a specific time to do it. :)

As far as I know Run Disney was not involved. From what I can tell it was organized by the some of the people from the kids clubs, at least that's what I remember the costume they were wearing was from.

Back in the day you used to have to sign up for it in advance. If it was full, supposedly you could not go.

One of the roomers we had heard, was that because 5K people got off the ship before other guest while cast from the ship were still setting up the Island, everyone else on the ship had to wait to get off.

Because of this, people with no intention of doing the 5K would sign up so they could get off the before everyone else to get good spots on the beach.
On our last cruise that did the race the old way we watched people head straight for the beach instead of the start line.
Disney may have decided to just let everyone off at once so some could do the 5K and everyone else could go to the beach.

As far as I know Run Disney was not involved. From what I can tell it was organized by the some of the people from the kids clubs, at least that's what I remember the costume they were wearing was from.

Back in the day you used to have to sign up for it in advance. If it was full, supposedly you could not go.

One of the roomers we had heard, was that because 5K people got off the ship before other guest while cast from the ship were still setting up the Island, everyone else on the ship had to wait to get off.

Because of this, people with no intention of doing the 5K would sign up so they could get off the before everyone else to get good spots on the beach.
On our last cruise that did the race the old way we watched people head straight for the beach instead of the start line.
Disney may have decided to just let everyone off at once so some could do the 5K and everyone else could go to the beach.
There was at least one cruise that had a RunDisney 5K (I found an article that referenced 2015) b/c it was tied in with marathon weekend. The route was slightly different than the one DCL uses to make it more accurate. https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...ay-cay-challenge-5k-race-in-the-record-books/

Back in the day (early 2000's?) DCL did allow people to get off the ship early to do the 5K. But then, as you said, people were taking advantage of it. Then they changed to having the 5K people getting off with everyone else at the same time (I don't know when they made that switch). I did it that way in 2016, 2017, and 2018. Then after the Covid break they went to doing it OYO - I've done it twice that way in 2022 and 2023.

There was at least one cruise that had a RunDisney 5K (I found an article that referenced 2015) b/c it was tied in with marathon weekend. The route was slightly different than the one DCL uses to make it more accurate. https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...ay-cay-challenge-5k-race-in-the-record-books/

Back in the day (early 2000's?) DCL did allow people to get off the ship early to do the 5K. But then, as you said, people were taking advantage of it. Then they changed to having the 5K people getting off with everyone else at the same time (I don't know when they made that switch). I did it that way in 2016, 2017, and 2018. Then after the Covid break they went to doing it OYO - I've done it twice that way in 2022 and 2023.
My wife and I have been cruising with Disney since spring of 2001. I don't remember when Disney started the 5K on the Island.
Over the years my wife has done 10 Cast Away 5ks, her first was 2014 and I have done 7, my first was 2017.

The last cruise we did with Disney before Covid was December 2019.

Since the startup we have done 2 cruises one in 2022 and one in 2023. For a few years before Covid we had been lucky enough to do two 5ks a year some years.

I just checked, I have 5 race bibs and 7 medals. So at least as of December 2019 Disney was still doing it the old way.

RunDisney was never formally involved with the CC 5K, as far as I know, except for the tie-in to Marathon Weekend at WDW that @mathgeek mentioned. The other CC 5Ks were organized by people on the ship

RunDisney was never formally involved with the CC 5K, as far as I know, except for the tie-in to Marathon Weekend at WDW that @mathgeek mentioned. The other CC 5Ks were organized by people on the ship
At one time, and I may be wrong, If you ran the Disneyland marathon then the Walt Disney marathon then the Cast Away Cay Run Disney marathon you got a special medal?

^^ yes the tie in was to run the marathon the weekend before, get on the ship and then run the 5K on Castaway. The 5K on the island was a special course and organized by Run Disney.

At one time, and I may be wrong, If you ran the Disneyland marathon then the Walt Disney marathon then the Cast Away Cay Run Disney marathon you got a special medal?
My running days are over..

Back then if you ran the WDW marathon and DL marathon, you get an additional Coast to Coast medal.

The 2018 Marathon weekend Castaway 5k was a RunDisney event, you had to sign up at runDisney site for both WDW race and the CC 5k, you get a rD bib and a rD medal.
The rD 5k runners were let off the ship earlier for the race, after that race, the regular 5k starts. I ran the first one and got the rD medal, then met my kids for the 2nd race and got the rubber medal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter