Castaway Cay cabanas.... am I just out of luck??

also ask when you get on board - at the port excursions desk.
sometimes they have cancellations
but like everyone else said, a cabana is not at all necessary...
for me it's not even desirable..
i rented a cabana when i took my elderly mom and sister (who is under treatment for cancer and can't be in the sun at all)..
for them it was good as they stayed in the cabana the entire time...
but when i was just there with my husband and kids, we didn't rent one....had no desire to have one...
we prefer taking an active approach to the island, so we'd have very little time in a cabana anyway...

Others have explained how to book it if there is one available.

Yes, the chances are low a non-concirege/non-platinum cruiser will be able to book one, HOWEVER, it can happen.

We enjoy a cabana. I am naturally photosensitive, and then it is made worse by two medications I take. So having the good shade of the cabana is quite helpful. It is also useful when an afternoon rainshower comes through the island ;-) BUT, it also changes how we do Castaway Cay: we spend most of our time at the cabana, and therefore not doing other activities. We're ok with that, but others may not enjoy that so much.

We have cruised with disney 4 times and our 5th is coming up.

Once our booking window opens I check every day or two to see if there is a cabana available, sometimes checking a couple times a day. It is quick and easy to log in and check and I don't mind doing it.

On our first cruise, we got a cabana on serenity bay at 20 days out from the cruise.

On our fourth cruise, a couple in our cruise group traveling concierge offered to share the family beach cabana they had, which we did, and had a great time.

For our upcoming (fifth) cruise, I got a cabana on serenity beach 69 days out from the cruise. At least one family in our cruise group moved their cruise to a different date and thus canceled the family cabana they had -- someone (don;t know who) picked it up.

So, it IS possible. But it is very much a matter of "right place, right time" in terms of you happen to be checking when one happens to become available and you are able to grab it.

We have sailed without a cabana and very much enjoyed those days on castaway as well. there are lots of fun things to do and much to explore.

SW

Thanks, this makes me feel better. We want to be on the beach as much as possible but not in the sun the whole time. Knowing that there are plenty of shaded areas is a relief.

The cabanas are a fairly new thing.....for many, many years DCL never had them. There are tons of umbrellas and palm trees. Most every set of chairs/loungers has an umbrella.

P1010280.JPG P1010281.JPG P1010282.JPG

MJ

Last edited:
I guess demand comes and goes. Cruise before last we had a cabana at the adult beach, and we were the only cabana rented that day! Talk about great service from the cabana host...he took us back to the ship at the end of the day on a golf cart.

Others have explained how to book it if there is one available.

Yes, the chances are low a non-concirege/non-platinum cruiser will be able to book one, HOWEVER, it can happen.

We enjoy a cabana. I am naturally photosensitive, and then it is made worse by two medications I take. So having the good shade of the cabana is quite helpful. It is also useful when an afternoon rainshower comes through the island ;-) BUT, it also changes how we do Castaway Cay: we spend most of our time at the cabana, and therefore not doing other activities. We're ok with that, but others may not enjoy that so much.

We have cruised with disney 4 times and our 5th is coming up.

Once our booking window opens I check every day or two to see if there is a cabana available, sometimes checking a couple times a day. It is quick and easy to log in and check and I don't mind doing it.

On our first cruise, we got a cabana on serenity bay at 20 days out from the cruise.

On our fourth cruise, a couple in our cruise group traveling concierge offered to share the family beach cabana they had, which we did, and had a great time.

For our upcoming (fifth) cruise, I got a cabana on serenity beach 69 days out from the cruise. At least one family in our cruise group moved their cruise to a different date and thus canceled the family cabana they had -- someone (don;t know who) picked it up.

So, it IS possible. But it is very much a matter of "right place, right time" in terms of you happen to be checking when one happens to become available and you are able to grab it.

We have sailed without a cabana and very much enjoyed those days on castaway as well. there are lots of fun things to do and much to explore.

SW
Thanks, this is really informative. We are bringing my daughter and her family and they have a son who will be 1 during our cruise. I was thinking it would be so nice to have a place for him to rest/nap and get out of the sun instead of going back to the ship. It looks like there are plenty of places with shade so either way we will be ok..... I’m so grateful for all the responses. Everyone has been so great!!!

I guess demand comes and goes. Cruise before last we had a cabana at the adult beach, and we were the only cabana rented that day! Talk about great service from the cabana host...he took us back to the ship at the end of the day on a golf cart.
Sounds wonderful!!

Keep checking. Things happen. We had to cancel our last cruise at less than 45 days out. Having to cancel sucked but I kept thinking "at least I made somebody's day because they scored a cabana unexpectedly".

When was this? I really do think a lot of folks cancel when they get on the boat, especially if the weather forecast isn't perfect.

when can you start booking. We are silver? Do we have to have the cruise paid in full?

If you have been on at least one but less than 5 DCL cruises, then yes, you are Silver.

If that is the case, as long as you are PIF at 90 days, you can make reservations for excursions, etc. at 90 days.

When was this? I really do think a lot of folks cancel when they get on the boat, especially if the weather forecast isn't perfect.
Cancelling on the ship runs the risk of still having to pay for it (if DCL can't "resell" it). All excursions/activities that have a cost have a penalty if you do no cancel them at least 3 days prior to the embarkation date.

Cancelling on the ship runs the risk of still having to pay for it (if DCL can't "resell" it). All excursions/activities that have a cost have a penalty if you do no cancel them at least 3 days prior to the embarkation date.

Thats right but I'm sure people still do it.

Honestly they probably only apply that to non Disney managed excusruions because they still have to foot the bill for those vendors. But it might also apply to cabanas, but who would cancel one anyhow isnmt question?!? :D

We are platinum and have had the luxury once. Yes, once.
They are extremely hard to come by unless you are concierge or have a sailing that maybe isn't quite as full.
(just my observation)
And as for the waitlists.....we've been on a waitlist 3 times (twice number 1 on the lists) and NEVER got a call that one became available, but I've read that it can happen!

Honestly they probably only apply that to non Disney managed excusruions because they still have to foot the bill for those vendors. But it might also apply to cabanas, but who would cancel one anyhow isnmt question?!? :D
Yes, it applies to the cabanas, also.

As noted, if DCL can resell the reservation, the cancelling party will not be charged. And, most of the time, there's a waiting list on the ship for any cancelled cabanas. But the risk is still there that there will be no one to snatch up the cancelled cabana reservation.

As Gold members we have had a cabana 4 times however on our Fantasy cruise last month they were all gone when I logged in at midnight on the 90 day mark. I tried almost every day to see if someone cancelled and they did not; I also asked once on board and was put on the waitlist and nothing. We are now platinum and hopefully will be able to get a cabana later this year. Of course it matters whether you cruise on the classic ships versus the newer ships because of the number of people on board.

We are platinum and I logged on as soon as I could and all the family beach cabanas were gone but 3 of the Serenity Bay ones were left (which works for us because we are all over 18). Last March, same thing- we had one on Serenity Bay. Our reservations were linked with several other families that had kids. We got a call while we were on the ship saying that the double sized family cabana and the one next to it were available- did we want to switch and have them with our friends instead of our one on Serenity Bay (which we did). It's also easier to get a cabana, when you are on the Wonder or Magic- fewer people trying to get them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter