Castaway Cay Cabanas

quamyjim

Earning My Ears
Is it worth getting a cabana? We have a daughter Ina wheelchair bad hope we get a sand beach wheelchair when we get there. We were thinking of getting a cabana. Seems there is so much to do there not sure it would be worth it just as a place for her stuff. Anyone ever used the cabanas and maybe have some pros and cons. Thank you.

I'm not sure about the "worthiness", but I've learned (from the DCL board here) that unless you are in a concierge cabin it is almost impossible to get a cabana. Those in concierge cabins can "pre-order" them even before their 120 day window and most of the cabanas are taken. The few remaining are taken by those with Gold status. Some people have reported getting a cancellation (no waitlist - they just happened to check soon after someone cancelled).

Just an FYI so that you don't plan on something that may be very difficult to have happen.

Both PPs are correct... a Castaway Cay cabana is VERY hard to get unless you are sailing concierge -- most "Platinum" Castaway Cay members (10+ previous cruises on DCL) are not even able to get one at midnight of 120 days when their online check-in window opens. But cancellations do happen and people have reported getting one even just a couple of weeks prior to cruising.

And, yes, there is only 1 accessible cabana. However, that might work to your favor as it is held out from the general booking and you have to request it by phone.

There is a waitlist, but not until you have boarded the ship. If all else fails, you can try that. But I suggest having a back-up plan. There are sand wheelchairs available free of charge, first come first served. And lots of umbrellas -- head to the second family beach and it's less crowded.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,
i am castaway gold (going on 8th Disney Cruise), and tried to get the accessible cabana for our Aug trip. No luck! As a previous poster stated, if you are not concierge, you basically have zero chance.

If you are on the classic ships, you have a better chance, as there are much less concierge rooms…

In stating that… my nephew has duchenne and is in a power chair and unable to transfer out. I am very sad I was unable to secure a cabana. Please forgive me for sounding bitter, but I hope the person who booked that cabana really needs it. My heart is just broken. I wanted him to get closer to the water.

Thank you. Good to have a realistic expectation. Luckily she is only 70 pounds (it's all relative, eh?). So can carry her and my husband can trudge the chair through the sandif needed. Thank you for the tip on second beach. We are very easy going and have had to over come access issues all the time. I just try to prepare the best we can in advance so this was very helpful info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter