Castaway Cay Challenge 2017

Pinkflmngo

Mouseketeer
Hi! I'm just wondering if there have been any rumors or rumblings about this event for 2017. I know that runDisney usually announces it very late but often we hear speculation about it beforehand. So I am officially starting the speculation!

I am so hoping for it again this year after Marathon Weekend. I have been lucky to participate the last 2 years and want to see it happen again.

Lynda

I think last year there was no mention of it until the day of registration, and it just appeared on the webpage. :confused3

Thanks Ariel. I remember that we had to have a cruise confirmation number to register for CCC. Seems like we had a day before registration that we could book the cruise. I believe I registered for Dopey and CCC on the same day but that was a year ago and I am fuzzy about it. My plans really hinge on the CCC so I hope they give us a bit of warning, if only a day. RunDisney sure is not big on advance notice, huh?

I don't think you *have to* have the cruise booked before registering for the challenge. They added that info in later for the first year, at least. They had spots for it but you didn't have to do it.

I personally wouldn't hold my breath for a third year of it. They already stopped having it for Princess after just 1 year. Of course, they might change that, too.

I personally wouldn't hold my breath for a third year of it. They already stopped having it for Princess after just 1 year. Of course, they might change that, too.
I'm thinking the same thing. It just seems like a hassle for DCL - to dock the ship way earlier than normal and have the different course and do the race twice (the paid version and the fun run)...them dropping it from Princess was, I think, a big step toward just dropping it completely. Add to it that there's not a dedicated section for it anymore on the runDisney website for Marathon Weekend (at least there wasn't last week)...:confused3

not really a challenge auestion... But wondering if you do just the castaway 5k (whenever... Not just marathon weekend) if you get rubber medallion or the old plastic medal they used to give put

not really a challenge auestion... But wondering if you do just the castaway 5k (whenever... Not just marathon weekend) if you get rubber medallion or the old plastic medal they used to give put
It's been the rubber medallion lately, from what I have heard.

Hurray!!!!!!!!!!! That is exactly what I have been waiting for!!!!!!!!!! It must have been added today or last night because it was not there before!!!!!!!!

I am thrilled. Thanks!
Lynda

ok I did early registration for the 10K today.... The castaway challenge does not open until next Tuesday the 26th. I have had my cruise booked for month.... Nervous about now getting registered for the challenge.... How quick does this usually sell out? I will be registering for it when general registration opens...

The first year it sold out super fast. Last year it was open longer. I hate to say exactly but I know it was open longer than several days. I just don't remember. It is safe to say that it won't close in the first hour like other races. I will register for it as soon as I have my other races locked in first.

Be sure to have your cruise confirmation number handy before you try to register. If you are not online at the stroke of noon, don't panic.

I assume by your question that you have not done it before. I can tell you that it is a lot of fun. We gather in the theater very early in our assigned corral areas (A, B, and C). They walk us off the ship together in the dark! It is a long walk to the start of the race but it is soooo cool. Actually, it is very warm, but you know what I mean. The course is very interesting and there are characters to have pictures with and funny entertainment. There is not exactly a time limit but you can't just stroll if you want good pictures at the finish line with Mickey and Minnie because they leave early. There seem to be a lot of walkers and people just taking it all in. If you are looking for a super competitive race, this is not it! Even Jeff Galloway was taking it pretty easy with a slower group of run/walkers. The medals are very cool, too!

After we finish, the regular 5k for the rest of the ship starts. Those people have it rough because it is HOT by then. They don't get the same bling that we do, but they don't have to pay either! You will have to go back to the ship because the island isn't open yet. That was very nice for us because we wanted to go back and change to beach clothes and have a nice breakfast before heading back. Lots of walking back and forth but completely worth it.

Something else that might interest you is that one of the gift shops sells Challenge merch. The first year the line was really long and people (me) waited over an hour for the shop to open. They cannot open until the ship sets sail so we missed all the sailaway festivities that year while we were in line. That wasn't really so awful because it was pouring rain! We discovered later that we had waited in vain because they had plenty of merchandise and there was no issue with selling out early. Last year we waited until later to shop and had no trouble getting the shirts we wanted.

Last thing to be aware of is that you will have to pick up your packet at the Expo. You will get your bib and shirt and other instructions. It could be easy to forget about that and walk out without your stuff.

You will love it! I would be happy to answer any other questions if I can.
Lynda

It's been the rubber medallion lately, from what I have heard.

Yes, beginning with the first CC Challenge in 2015 the generic "winner" medals were changed to rubber medals. This has continued since then for all CC 5Ks, not just the challenges. 2015's had the year on the medal itself, while 2016 only has the year on the ribbon so they did change them up a bit.

For 2016 Castaway Cay Challenge, I never saw it sell out.

I registered for it the final day you could to get your name on the bib (around September I think?) and there were still several spots remaining. It may have sold out quickly the first year, but it definitely did not for this year's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter