• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay changes

paid activities like parasailing etc?

As others have mentioned, there was parasailing when we were there in January. I even took a picture and remarked to DS: “people on the boards always ask about parasailing, so good to see it is actually happening”

we were on the same cruise. Our kids were out and about on the play structure thing all morning (until it was closed for low tide) and had a lot of fun. We heard from others who did parasailing, and saw plenty of snorklers (both with their own and rented equipment). Many fewer excursions than usual, but the bikes were free.
There was no official 5k, but some people just ran it anyway.

No hammocks though.

Still no hammocks? Darn! We leave on Saturday and was hoping to be lounging in one by the end of the week :guilty:

They got rid of the CC 5k as it used to be because of how many people claimed they'd be doing it and then just rushed for a hammock.
This is not accurate. They suspended the CC 5K because of COVID. It was being run in it's normal fashion up until DCL suspended operations in 2020. This was included in the US Restart Announcement:

Q80: Is the 5K group race available on Castaway Cay? A: While the 5K group race on Disney Castaway Cay has been temporarily suspended, Guests may run the race on their own (no registration required), while practicing physical distancing. All participants who complete the 5K run will receive a finishing medallion. Information on where and when Guests can pick up their medal will be made available via the Disney Cruise Line Navigator app.

This is not accurate. They suspended the CC 5K because of COVID. It was being run in it's normal fashion up until DCL suspended operations in 2020. This was included in the US Restart Announcement:

Q80: Is the 5K group race available on Castaway Cay? A: While the 5K group race on Disney Castaway Cay has been temporarily suspended, Guests may run the race on their own (no registration required), while practicing physical distancing. All participants who complete the 5K run will receive a finishing medallion. Information on where and when Guests can pick up their medal will be made available via the Disney Cruise Line Navigator app.
Yeah it was more to avoid large groups. Because for the 5K everyone would meet and then leave the ship together. I am sure as covid restrictions continue to loosen, the CC5K will come back.

I’m new to runDisney and was really hoping to do it next time.
As someone who has run a LOT of RunDisney I highly recommend you watch for the return of the Official Castaway Cay 5K. Pre-covid it happened every January on the cruise IMMEDIATELY following Marathon Weekend at WDW. I did it in 2017. You have to sign up and run a race at marathon weekend and then the 5k on Castaway Cay. You get a medal for each race plus a challenge medal for doing both. It's also a really fun way to follow up marathon weekend with a cruise! I did the full marathon at WDW and then the 5k on CC. It's the only time the 5K is a timed event, has characters on the course and an official finish line complete with box of snacks for after. :) I don't think they've added it for 2023 Marathon weekend so maybe it will come back in 2024!657350

As someone who has run a LOT of RunDisney I highly recommend you watch for the return of the Official Castaway Cay 5K. Pre-covid it happened every January on the cruise IMMEDIATELY following Marathon Weekend at WDW. I did it in 2018. You have to sign up and run a race at marathon weekend and then the 5k on Castaway Cay. You get a medal for each race plus a challenge medal for doing both. It's also a really fun way to follow up marathon weekend with a cruise! I did the full marathon at WDW and then the 5k on CC. It's the only time the 5K is a timed event, has characters on the course and an official finish line complete with box of snacks for after. :) I don't think they've added it for 2023 Marathon weekend so maybe it will come back in 2024!
I knew about the special medal for completing the CC 5K after the Marathon, but did not know that there were characters on the course. That must have been really cool!

What I was referring to was more the way they used to let the CC5k runners out before the rest of the ship. They dialed back to them debarking AFTER main debark, because so many people would show up in the WDT and then not actually run. They wanted early debark.

In November my husband was going to snorkel but even the snorkel path was closed due to big winds. Most everything else was canceled for same reason.
We speed walked the 5K in 2016 (I can't run more than a block without wheezing) and still got medals. My husband came in 3rd...from the end LOL.

At one time, the Black Pearl ship from "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies was "moored" at Castaway Cay. Apparently, though, this was a full scale prop from the movies, so it didn't survive long. Still, when it was there, it really cause excitement for the DCL passengers.

Disney needs to build a replica of the Black Pearl to be permanently part of the Castaway Cay experience. Of course, the ship would have to be constructed so that it could withstand bombardment from the sun, surf, and the occasional hurricane.

R.824a6fa636f6dc047e7cc50b807a73e3

Those are some GREAT pics!
Thanks. I faked my smile pretty good. I was in SO much pain. I hurt myself during the full marathon. This LOVELY amazing Aussie stayed with me through the entire 5K on CC. We were dead last. Like the golf cart with cast members was behind us. So we kept stopping so that the cart would stop. Then all of us would start laughing. They were so nice about how slow I was doing. I kept saying "I'M SORRY I'M SO SLOW!" as the Canadian I am lol.

We cruised in September 2021 and March 2022 and found that Castaway Cay was pretty much the same as usual, other than the aforementioned changes to the 5k which is not something we do every visit. All the regular excursions seemed to be offered - we have snorkeled, used tubes, and rented bikes. Our 9-year-old used Scuttles Cove in September and that was pretty much the same, according to her. We thought the food was normal, too.

In March, it was a very breezy day and lots of excursions were canceled, but that is normal for DCL.

No, you just go do it and then request a medal from Guest Services or one of the shops nearby (seems to depend where you can get them) - but I suspect Guest Services always has them.
Thank you so much! Looking forward to doing this in May!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter