Castaway Cay - Sharks?

CrzyBoutDisney

Goddess Divine
Hi all. Brand new to posting, but long-time lurker. I have a question about Castaway Cay.... is the island protected by a shark net or anything of that nature? Sorry, I know it's a goofy question, but I have a cripping phobia of sharks :scared: I'm contemplating booking a cruise and want to know how safely I may frolic in the water there. Thanks for any input and thank you in advance for not mocking me too much. :laughing:

Yes there are shark nets for the family beach and snorkling area. There are none at Serenity Bay. DCL will not let anyone in the water at the family beach if the nets are not in 100% condition, which did happen after a storm went through and damaged them.

Thanks so much for the info. That's a real relief to know that they have those nets. Podcast Cruise 2.0, here we come!!!:cheer2:

We've never seen anything but small groupers on the family beach.

However, at the adult beach you never know what you'll see. We've incountered stingrays, octopous, various fish in all sizes and shapes and starfish. My avatar is a picture of a starfish DH found in the water off the adult beach.

We've never seen a shark, but you never know. My biggest complaint about the adult beach, no lifeguards. If you don't feel safe in the open water enjoy the family beach with piece of mind.

We've never seen a shark, but you never know.

We saw quite a few good-size nurse sharks up close when we did the hiking/kayaking excursion on CC. We didn't bother them, they didn't bother us. I personally like being able to tell that it is a real island in a real ocean. :thumbsup2

But having shark nets at the family beach is good. :beach:

We actually had a barracuda swim through everyone on the family beach a couple of years ago. Some staff were in the water having fun with the passengers at the time. They started yelling for everyone to just stand still and let it go by. It was eerie to see everyone freeze until it passed by.

The staff didn't seem too surprised to see it. I guess things get in there. It is the carribean. At least it's natural--unlike a lot of the things that wash up on our beach in jersey!

We actually had a barracuda swim through everyone on the family beach a couple of years ago. Some staff were in the water having fun with the passengers at the time. They started yelling for everyone to just stand still and let it go by. It was eerie to see everyone freeze until it passed by.

The staff didn't seem too surprised to see it. I guess things get in there. It is the carribean. At least it's natural--unlike a lot of the things that wash up on our beach in jersey!

I've been told that Barracuda is a long time resident at Castaway Cay. They even have a name for him "Barry"? I think? He's never been a problem though as far as the reports go.

Seen plenty of barracuda at Serenity Bay...and a thing to remember about the nets at the family beach-nothing big can swim in, but small things can swim in and grow once they get inside and then can't get back out. There's an ENORMOUS grouper that likes to hang out under one of the lifeguard's stations on the snorkeling train. He (or she-hard to tell with groupers) definitely wouldn't have fit through the net!

I've been told that Barracuda is a long time resident at Castaway Cay. They even have a name for him "Barry"? I think? He's never been a problem though as far as the reports go.

There are barracuda and nurse sharks at Castaway Cay, and some of the sharks slip through and around the shark net at the family beach. We encountered one in the snorkel cove just last Fall. No biggie, it was actually pretty neat to see. Nurse sharks are not aggressive towards humans.

On another cruise, we had to make an unscheduled stop after CC because a 13-year old boy decided to tease a nearby barracuda (probably not Barry!) who took a sizeable chunk out of his hand and he needed some stitches and a tetanus shot/antibiotics.

The lesson to be learned is that the ocean is full of all sorts of creatures. Common sense and respect for this habitat is the law of the day. No matter what protections are put out there, as a previous poster noted, it is the ocean, it is not a Disneyfied artificial environment.

Having said that, there is no reason not to go in the water or to have a good time. I feel much safer in that ocean environment than in many others.

I'm not a lover of swimming in the ocean, but did enjoy "paddling" a bit off the family beach at CC. :goodvibes

I was quite happy for DD to be in the water, safe in the knowledge that there were precautions taken to keep out the bigger, scarier creatures. I didn't find out until after we were back onboard the Magic that a barrecuda was also enjoying the family beach side whilst we had been there! :eek: :laughing:

Seen plenty of barracuda at Serenity Bay...and a thing to remember about the nets at the family beach-nothing big can swim in, but small things can swim in and grow once they get inside and then can't get back out. There's an ENORMOUS grouper that likes to hang out under one of the lifeguard's stations on the snorkeling train. He (or she-hard to tell with groupers) definitely wouldn't have fit through the net!

I saw him last week -- he is HUGE and scared the mickey out of me because he skimmed me.

There are barracuda and nurse sharks at Castaway Cay, and some of the sharks slip through and around the shark net at the family beach. We encountered one in the snorkel cove just last Fall. No biggie, it was actually pretty neat to see. Nurse sharks are not aggressive towards humans.

I did not see any nurse sharks on CC this time around, but have seen them before. And Empress Room is right -- they will not hurt you. I came across a family of them in Tortola and while I had a jolt because of their size, they had no interest in me. I'm much more afraid of the stingrays!

I have also seen barracuda and small stingrays while snorkeling off the adult beach on CC. As a matter of fact, DH loves to tell the story of when I saw the barracuda. Anyway, the water off the adult beach stays pretty much waist-deep for quite a ways out into the water...you would have to go pretty far to get into deep water.

He (or she-hard to tell with groupers)
:lmao::lmao:

We've seen barracuda every time we snorkel on the family beach. One note about them -- they like shiny objects. You should not snorkel or swim with rings and other shiny jewelry on. :)

A big thanks for your responses. That makes me feel much better about things. I can't wait to get to CC! Hello: swimming in the ocean. Goodbye: wimpy-ness! :thumbsup2

We were at the family beach at CC and saw a ginormous sting ray..well maybe not ginormous, but we were only waist deep when he went by...he was beautiful though (as I froze in probably unnecessary fear.)

I always love an excuse to pull this picture back out...

I was snorkling off the adult beach in about 6' deep water (so no, I was NOT extreamly close to the shore, but was inside those orange markers you see way out there. Well I spotted this fella and managed to get a picture before he swam out of view. I was never scared... but when I considered that I was about 100 yards from shore, I did start paying more attention to my surroundings the rest of the day.

It's not obvious to spot, but look just below the 9 o'clock position and you'll spot the outline of what is believed to be about a 6' reef shark that was about 40' away.

TxIuFuAkBfQUwo4Qc_R_JWUywHPoXGw_Q1_6hjUdoohKsFSmiiMNwkkY2Vm6q1eEN0C9lRQJzUWno2s=w1280-h709-rw

Last edited:
I know there is some kind of play scape on the family beach in the water - how deep is it around that? I know my sons are going to want to play on that and wondering how deep it is around that.

I know there is some kind of play scape on the family beach in the water - how deep is it around that? I know my sons are going to want to play on that and wondering how deep it is around that.

It's between 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 feet deep. I was surprised how deep it was when my 6 year old dragged me out there!

It depends on the tide since it is closed when the water is too shallow.

I always love an excuse to pull this picture back out...

I was snorkling off the adult beach in about 6' deep water (so no, I was NOT extreamly close to the shore, but was inside those orange markers you see way out there. Well I spotted this fella and managed to get a picture before he swam out of view. I was never scared... but when I considered that I was about 100 yards from shore, I did start paying more attention to my surroundings the rest of the day.

It's not obvious to spot, but look just below the 9 o'clock position and you'll spot the outline of what is believed to be about a 6' reef shark that was about 40' away.

shark2.jpg

OMG.

I am VERY glad to have seen this AFTER my return and not before I left.

I, too, have a paralyzing fear of sharks, and while I was never more than ankle deep at Serenity Bay, I don't think I'd have gone in at all had I seen this.

Me on a boat above water? Or on a beach? Happy as can be. Me in the ocean (or seriously? In an aquarium!?!?) yeah, it's pretty much a Xanax required situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter