• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay Twice

I would really love a second day there. We spent the day as a family on the family beach. My husband and I never even got to peek at the adult beach. We wanted to share the day with the kids, so they didn't go to the kid's area. With a second day, we'd get the best of both worlds. Plenty of family time, but also a chance to nap on the beach and enjoy the adult area knowing the children were safe. I love to be lulled to sleep on the beach, but with children to watch....you just can't do that. We are a family of bike riders, but with only a day on the island, we didn't want to take the time to do that. We'd all rent bikes with a second island day.

One thing I do wish the island had was a water area for the children in the program. I understand the safety issue of putting the kids in the ocean, but surely there is some solution. Maybe an area for water play with jets that squirt up, an obstacle course type of place where buckets of water would dump on your hear or water cannons would shoot spays out...I don't know...but at the beach the kids ought to have water!:D

To cut down on the staff necessary for the island, maybe one of the days would have less places open.....maybe only the main dining area instead of that and the one on the adult beach. Have all the bar business consolidated into one place. Life guards, of course, aren't optional, but some things might be able to be cut back. The people that want to stay on the ship could enjoy the pools, but maybe programming is a little more limited than other days since there is a choice to go ashore. Same with consolidation....lunch only available at Topsiders buffet. A limited number of bars and snack places open on the ship. Everyone both places could get food and drinks, just not as many options either on land or on ship. Pingpong, shuffleboard, the pools, movies, arcade are all available and don't require much staffing.

What a delima to have....stay on the beautiful ship or enjoy the beautiful island.:cool:

my3kids - I agree with your suggestions. There should be something for the children in the Clubs. I'm just glad that most get off the ship and we can enjoy the pools onboard!

Rae

On our October 2001 cruise, we spent two days at Castaway Cay, and it was heaven. I'd definitely be interested in spending two days there. It's a shame that such a beautiful island is only utilized three times a week (once by the Magic, and twice by the Wonder).

Brittsmum - Now you know why they can't do overnight. It's even worse then. :eek: However, both days we didn't leave the ship until at least 10 am and never saw any bugs. It seems they were only out early.

Now, after the cruise is over, I still stand by what I said earlier -

It's a good thing to do as a special event.

If it was done every cruise, I really believe it would lose something, and not be a day to look forward to.

For anyone saying have it for a backup - the only cruise that is physically possible is the Wonder 4-day. On either of the 7-day cruises, they simply don't have the time to try it twice and still make the itenerary. Either one of those travel deep into the Carribean and there isn't any way to make the attempt, abort due to conditions and come back by on the way home. It'd be nice if there was, but then you'd either have to drop a port or extend the cruise time wise, which opens a whole new can of worms, unfortunately.

Mark, again I'm so sorry we missed you and Mary and the rest of the Dis'rs that day :( . I did notice as far as the bugs were concerned on that first day that they seemed to stay close to the water. we had the first row of chairs closest to the water, I noticed alot of people along the front itching away, but not so many people in the back. as far as I was concerned they were there as long as we were (till about 1):( It really was a nusence (sp?) and was part of the reason we left after eating lunch. Funny though, my DD who was in the water the whole time never complained and I never saw her scratching.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter