Castaway Cay Wind Concern!

So we survived the cruise and are back home! Definitely not our thing!!! The kids had a good time and although we were very thankful that we did get to port at Castaway Cay, we had super rough seas that night, rocking and bumping for hours and it made our poor son so sick. The waves were so intense for hours with the rocking from the storm - I read online that lightening struck a carnival ship and caused a fire that night on their ship around the area we were in. It was really bad, just constant rocking back and forth and bumping for hours - doors swinging open back and forth, hangers clinging back and forth on the rod. I’ve never experienced anything like it! Somehow, our 2 youngest slept through it. But the rest of us were all just wanting off that boat the next morning! 😬 Never again! 🙅🏻‍♀️ We were so happy to be off the ship and back at Disney World. We went straight to our favorite restaurant Toppolinos and had amazing service. For whatever reason we had terrible service on our cruise. One of the servers even spilled coke all over me and was pretty indifferent about it. I couldn’t believe it. I had to go change. We never got our kids meals served first even when asked about it and they never remembered our drinks and sometimes even minutes later would forget our order! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Usually Disney is great with service but we just had really bad luck on the cruise and it was soooo crowded, lines everywhere, even for ice cream it was crazy. It was just not what I expected it to be and I wish that we would have just gone to Disney World the whole time but you never know until you try it! But then we went to Disney and all was right with the world again! Disney is definitely more our thing and we had a great day at Epcot!
Sometimes you just have that experience that goes well for someone else and you're like NOPE NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN. At least you tried something new?

So we survived the cruise and are back home! Definitely not our thing!!! The kids had a good time and although we were very thankful that we did get to port at Castaway Cay, we had super rough seas that night, rocking and bumping for hours and it made our poor son so sick. The waves were so intense for hours with the rocking from the storm - I read online that lightening struck a carnival ship and caused a fire that night on their ship around the area we were in. It was really bad, just constant rocking back and forth and bumping for hours - doors swinging open back and forth, hangers clinging back and forth on the rod. I’ve never experienced anything like it! Somehow, our 2 youngest slept through it. But the rest of us were all just wanting off that boat the next morning! 😬 Never again! 🙅🏻‍♀️ We were so happy to be off the ship and back at Disney World. We went straight to our favorite restaurant Toppolinos and had amazing service. For whatever reason we had terrible service on our cruise. One of the servers even spilled coke all over me and was pretty indifferent about it. I couldn’t believe it. I had to go change. We never got our kids meals served first even when asked about it and they never remembered our drinks and sometimes even minutes later would forget our order! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Usually Disney is great with service but we just had really bad luck on the cruise and it was soooo crowded, lines everywhere, even for ice cream it was crazy. It was just not what I expected it to be and I wish that we would have just gone to Disney World the whole time but you never know until you try it! But then we went to Disney and all was right with the world again! Disney is definitely more our thing and we had a great day at Epcot!
I'm so sorry to hear that your cruise wasn't very enjoyable. We leave for a 5-night in two days. May I ask what ship/how many nights it was?

Glad you had a great time at WDW, though.

On our double dip on the Dream last week, we arrived at CC the night before. They announced that it was the safest time to dock as it would be very windy the next day. They really make every effort to be able to dock there.

This was taken a little before 10pm.
1711643394068.jpeg

I'm so sorry you had that experience. I will say, yours does not sound like the typical DCL experience, either for service or for weather. That much rocking is not usual on a ship, though of course no one can control the weather and you never know when a storm system is going to pass near you. I'm so sorry your son was sick. Service in the MDRs is usually much better than that, too. Did you talk to your head server about your concerns? That's exactly what their job is, to keep track of guest satisfaction and adjust serving teams if need be.

I'm certainly not trying to talk you into another cruise, as it sounds like it might be a one and done for you. Just wanted to note that yours isn't really the typical experience on DCL, if you ever considered trying it again in the future. And again, sorry it was not a great trip for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter