Castmembers Calling Everyone "Friend"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they can adopt the Anton Chigurh nomenclature and call everyone "friendo". Have a good day, friendo.

6BPiP.gif

"Friends, don't have them, don't need them, sure as hell don't wanna watch them" - Al Bundy

If people are hearing it more then its probably something Disney is pushing.

It is not new, at least not for the past few years, and is even sometimes used by those leading Traditions towards those who are attending Traditions, so maybe that is where some pick it up. However, some cast say it and some don't. I usually heard it more when cast were asking kids not to do something but trying to be nice about it, such as "Hi Friends, please don't jump on the concrete stairs" when some kids were jumping from row to row in an empty ROL pavilion. I will say that I am in a lot of FB groups with elementary teachers, and a lot of them seem to use it to when addressing a group of people, so maybe it is more common among people who are used to working with kids.
The time I noticed it was in this context too. Checking Boo Bash wristbands but trying to be nice and casual. It is a gentler way of delivering a message sometimes. I didn’t hear it everywhere.
I also thought of our preschool where this is commonly used.

I think that using the term "friend" for strangers dilutes the meaning of the word. I really don't like the idea of a CM - or anyone else that I don't know personally - referring to me as one.

Why not just go with "Guests" all the time-that seems the way to go that would be "acceptable" to everyone.

Personally I have heard "Guys" used the most over the years.

Our family includes someone who is non-binary. Using “friends” has a profound, positive impact on our trips as it indicates that all members of our family are welcome. “Guys”, “ladies and gentlemen”, “princesses” etc. exclude or needlessly draw attention to gender.

I noticed it yesterday. I was here in April and didn't notice it but most of them seemed to be doing it yesterday. No big deal to me. You can call me whatever suits your fancy.

Mama used to always say "Sticks and stones can break your bones but words can never hurt you" and I've stuck by that my entire life.

I was a preschool teacher for 10 years and we called the kids “friends” instead of kids or guys or whatever else…..So we’d say things like “ok friends, it’s time to clean up” etc….I thought it was a little weird at first but it became second nature very quickly. We always told the kids that we liked to say “friends” because we are all friends at preschool.

I thought of that as well. I expect we're starting to see cast members who grew up being called "friends" in school, so it sounds perfectly natural to them. When Disney askes them to make an effort to be gender-neutral, "friends' is probably what comes to mind.

otoh doesn't 'friend' assume a relationship that isn't there? Isn't it harder to establish boundaries when everyone is telling you that everyone is a friend? I mean there is a lot you could discuss.

otoh doesn't 'friend' assume a relationship that isn't there? Isn't it harder to establish boundaries when everyone is telling you that everyone is a friend? I mean there is a lot you could discuss.

And this was kind of my initial reaction and why I found it odd at first. Then I kept hearing it everywhere. So it began to seem like a concerted effort for castmembers to use it. I didn't take any offense at it, or at the castmembers. My original post wasn't meant to be a complaint, but rather an inquiry if this was something others have noticed as well.

It didn’t stick out to me while at Disney but I am used to hearing it at schools. I was called “Princess” as an adult which threw me.

I think the intentions are similar with schools using it to try to create a calm, safe, and cohesive environment. If everyone is your friend, everyone should be treated nicely.

But I can see the argument that it is a bit too familiar. Reminds me of a quote in Trolls -

Friendship takes time and years of mutual care and respect

First off, I like "dude." To me it seems light-hearted and sweet. "Friend," otoh, could sound forced or even cynical. But I cannot remember anyone at WDW calling me "friend" ever, including during my most recent trip, this past May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter