Casts and Rides

lisamc12345

Earning My Ears
My 12-year-old son broke his foot on Saturday. We are seeing the ortho doctor today so we will know more then but we are supposed to leave for Disney on 9/24. My question is will he be able to ride the big rides with a cast on his foot? I can't recall if I've ever seen restrictions on rides for those with casts. Thanks.

We just had this very same vacation. DD10 had a growth plate fracture 2 weeks before our most recent trip. Her orthopedic doctor didn't want her putting much weight on her foot and put her in a removable boot. Here's what I found:

• There were no restrictions of any kind involving the boot.
  • We brought a kitchen garbage bag in our park bag so we could cover the boot for rides with the potential to get wet or for rain (she wasn't supposed to get the boot wet and ponchos don't cover the foot).
  • There's no way she could have hobbled on her crutches through the parks. I'm REALLY glad we rented a wheelchair for her. We got a 16" chair since she's around 4'9" and 85lb. The standard chairs are 18" and would have been uncomfortable for using for longer periods of time. If your son is adult sized then he'll be fine with the 18" chair.
  • If he's not going to use a wheelchair (if it's a regular walking cast then he may not need it) then prepare for extra breaks since he'll get tired more than he typically would. If stairs are difficult then request a GAC to avoid stairs (not necessary if you have the chair since clearly wheelchairs can't go on stairs). Remember just how much walking there is at WDW and remember that he now has this extra weight on his leg.

The only time that having a cast can be denied any ride is if it is such that it could cause injury to another Guest. Otherwise anything is advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter