• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cat owners and furniture?

emer95

DIS Veteran
We have 3 cats. We love them and they are part of our family. We have dark brown leather furniture, which has been great. Hair doesn’t stick to them and the cats don’t scratch them. But the furniture is getting old and a little worn, and we’d like to get something new. I’m not sure I want to do leather again. I’m tired of the dark brown. I’d like something lighter, and I don’t like the look of tan or cream leather. It looks too space-aged.

What do other people do? I Googled and saw that cats have a hard time getting their claws into microfiber, but it’s a magnet for hair. I know that would drive me crazy. I also saw that Sunbrella makes indoor furniture which could work, but I’d have to order it online. I need to see and sit on a sofa before buy it.
Any suggestions or ideas?

A friend of mine had good luck with chenille sofas.
I have white denim couches and they scratched the back a little bit when I first brought my cats home. They leave it alone now because I have cat scratchers all over my house. I like my couches because I can remove all of the covers and wash them in the washing machine.

We have a dark blue microfiber couch a white cat. Never worried about scratches, but yes there is a lot of hair. We have the OXO hair removing tool on each end table on the side of the couch and just wipe it down when we go to sit. Takes literally 5 seconds. Not a big deal.

We have a velvet (ish) cheapo green couch and cats with mostly white hair. The hair sticks to the velvet, so I have to use a roller on the arms. I don't want them to scratch it up, or to barf on the couch, so we have a green throw covering the seat and back. It's a cheap couch--literally less than $400--because I know I won't be fully successful and may want to buy a new couch for them to destroy in a few years.

We got rid of a brown microfiber couch last year, which was great. No scratches, and didn't really show the cat hair - and it was easy to vacuum off if it did. We replaced it with a light gray woven fabric, and I hate it. EVERY little scratch pulls the threads out of the weave. And, since she can get her claws into it, she was scratching at it more often. We ended up with those plastic sticker covers for the bottom part, but it still looks awful, and I regret the purchase.

We got rid of a brown microfiber couch last year, which was great. No scratches, and didn't really show the cat hair - and it was easy to vacuum off if it did. We replaced it with a light gray woven fabric, and I hate it. EVERY little scratch pulls the threads out of the weave. And, since she can get her claws into it, she was scratching at it more often. We ended up with those plastic sticker covers for the bottom part, but it still looks awful, and I regret the purchase.
We did something similar- replaced an older couch that the cat didn’t bother with a woven fabric couch that she finds a way to scratch up no matter the efforts to deter her. We have the sides and top covered and it looks ugly, and we used those glue-like strips on the front and sides. She licks and peels them off. :rotfl2:
We’re stuck for now- the couch wasn‘t cheap and has a pull out bed that we need when family visits.549022

My couch is probably what you would describe as chenille. I have a white cat and fortunately he only lays on a throw blanket when he lays on the couch. He doesn’t try to scratch it much. Maybe once in a blue moon. He will scratch the end tables occasionally and I fuss at him and he goes to the scratching post. Buger.

I will only have leather. I don’t prefer it, but I have a white long haired cat, a golden retriever & a 2 yr old. It’s not worth the stress to have fabric. I had fabric for years before leather & a variety of fabrics & they all caused me stressed with all the different pets.

My cats ripped the leather couchs to shreads. Oh well. For hair the hand held Bissell pet eraser is they way to go.

We are having the same issue as you! Our brown leather couches need replacing. We have one cat who is pretty good about staying off the couch but he sneaks up there at night while we are sleeping. We do not want brown leather again and do not like the lighter color leather. I found a couch I really liked but then realized his claws would get stuck in the weave. Most of our area rugs get pulls in them from his claws. He doesn’t scratch at them, it’s just his claws getting stuck in the loops. Please let us know what you find that seems to be a good fit for a cat. I’ll start looking for chenille or even a s tight knit fabric. I’ve had microfiber in the past and want to stay away from that.

We have two cats, one who will scratch anything and one (the older one) who doesn’t. We started trimming the younger cat’s claws—with the correct technique it is relatively quick! It’s actually easier than trimming my big dog’s claws.

I trim my cats claws weekly, they're used to it by now and that helps with the claws,I have a fabric couch,and I still see little pulls here and there from their usual running around and playing,they mostly just use their cardboard scratchers or the doormat... I chase them off if I see them trying on the couch lol. I also have knit throws tossed around,they prefer those for sleeping... I think microfiber would stand up to claws the best. Trimming claws makes the biggest difference IMHO.

View attachment 549196
We did something similar- replaced an older couch that the cat didn’t bother with a woven fabric couch that she finds a way to scratch up no matter the efforts to deter her.
I bought this little tool for only $9 (fabric shaver). It did a great job with the pulls in the fabric of my chairs. I was a little afraid to use it at first. It worked out great and made a world of difference.

Last edited:
Just a few of my observations:
My cat has never scratched my furniture. My son and his cat would pop in for college breaks and moved in when classes became virtual. His cat loves to scratch my fabric chairs and sofa. The sofa is not high quality and the fabric is more loosely woven. It is not wearing particularly well from people, but it can withstand most cat scratches and not even show them. My chairs are a much higher quality. The fabric is tightly woven and are great withstanding wear from people (keeps it's shape and easy to clean with a spot remover). But picks show from the cat scratching them. I am not sure if the difference is how tightly the fabric is woven or the material itself. The sofa seems to be a man made fiber and the chairs seem to be cotton-like (the fabric name was sailcloth). The fabric shaver I mentioned helps to remove most of the picks on the chairs.

We have microfiber, agree with a previous poster about the OXO hair removers. It seems harder and harder to find microfiber sofas. We're looking for a new sofa for our sitting area in our bedroom and I'm having trouble finding something similar.

Just a few of my observations:
My cat has never scratched my furniture. My son and his cat would pop in for college breaks and moved in when classes became virtual. His cat loves to scratch my fabric chairs and sofa. The sofa is not high quality and the fabric is more loosely woven. It is not wearing particularly well from people, but it can withstand most cat scratches and not even show them. My chairs are a much higher quality. The fabric is tightly woven and are great withstanding wear from people (keeps it's shape and easy to clean with a spot remover). But picks show from the cat scratching them. I am not sure if the difference is how tightly the fabric is woven or the material itself. The sofa seems to be a man made fiber and the chairs seem to be cotton-like (the fabric name was sailcloth). The fabric shaver I mentioned helps to remove most of the picks on the chairs.
Nothing to do with a couch but the visiting cat may be trying to establish territory

Nothing to do with a couch but the visiting cat may be trying to establish territory
No doubt about that!:) DS and his cat have been full time residents here approaching a year now. The cats are still working out territory. But they are both sweeties.

I trim my cats claws weekly, they're used to it by now and that helps with the claws,I have a fabric couch,and I still see little pulls here and there from their usual running around and playing,they mostly just use their cardboard scratchers or the doormat... I chase them off if I see them trying on the couch lol. I also have knit throws tossed around,they prefer those for sleeping... I think microfiber would stand up to claws the best. Trimming claws makes the biggest difference IMHO.
You can do my cats claws! 20201117_135506.jpg
The end lobster claw isnt easilly cut. Plus there are a lot of them. Lol.

I’m lucky my cat allows me to pet him. He would never allow us to clip his nails. We did try when he was a kitten but he’s always been temperamental and would claw, bite, squirm and scratch. I still love that fatso though lol

We bought cheap a IKEA as the covers come off and can be machine washed. Two couches delivered and assembled for us for about a thousand dollars. I have 3 cats who spend a lot of quality nap time on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter