catamaran sail-nassau ??

musicgirl

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done the catamaran sail and reef snorkeling?? I've have a few questions.

I know you meet at 9:00am. How long until you leave the ship?

What time does it generally get back? I know it's approximately 3.5-4 hours, but we were wondering if we could make it back to the ship for lunch in one of the restuarants or buffets. We'd also like to know so that we can book our spa reservations?

We will be taking 3 children ds-11, niece-11, nephew-7. Ds has snorkeled some last year but is apprehensive. My niece and nephew have never done this. I know they give instructions, but what if they feel uncomfortable and don't last very long in the water? Can they just float around (I'm assuming they have life vests provided)? Stay on deck?

How deep is the water where we will be snorkeling? Are we out in deep water or do we dock and go in from a beach?

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

My DH and I did the Catamaran and Reef Snorkel last October on the 4-night Wonder cruise. :)

We loved it! We met up at 9am in the Promenade Lounge - per our instructions that were left in our stateroom. It didn't take long to get clearance and have everyone checked in. You get these cute stickers for easy identification...I think it's more for the Disney experience rather than any actual security or ID use. :)

We walked a short distance from the ship, past the carriage ride stands, lots of hair braiders, and to the dock right in front of the straw market. We boarded the catamaran there. The captain used the engines to get us to the reef, the ride was great. Lots to see, talked to other people on board, listened to the captain and other crew members tell us things about the island, the water, and the equipment. They handed out fins, snorkels, masks, and life jackets as we approached the reef. (side note - I recommend trying to get one of the vests that doesn't hook up from between your legs...I had one, and when I wasn't in the water, it was not very comfortable. :) LOL) They were pretty thorough on instructions, as both DH and I had never snorkled and we felt very confident once instructed that we could handle it. They drop anchor a couple hundred yards from shore where the reef is, then one by one we disembarked from the catamaran right into the water. The life vests definitly helped, because you couldn't touch bottom, and there were several times I had to stop and clear my mask or snorkel. Both would have been extremely difficult without the aid of the vest. They gave us an hour to explore within a certain area...the area was basically within a certain distance from the catamaran...so they could keep an eye on you in case of need. There were several children on the excursion and none seemed to have any problems. The water is pretty deep, but it was hard for me to judge distance. Sometimes I thought I could just reach out and touch a fish, only to find it had to be several feet away...go figure:) There were plenty of fish to see too...I was very pleased because I had heard that other people had gone on other snorkeling excursion and didn't get to see anything.

They blew a horn to let us know when time was up, then we all slowly made our way back to the ship. Getting out can be tricky. After being in the water for an hour, my body got use to the bouyancy...then getting up on the ladder and pulling myself out of the water reminded me that gravity does exist. :) Once back on board, we turned in our equipment, got hosed off with fresh water, got refreshements and found a spot to lay back and relax. The captain used the sails on the way back, which took a bit longer, but was wonderful. Most of the kids sat or played in the netting between the thingys(don't know technical term)...mostly because they could watch the water fly past under the boat and occasionally got sprayed. I on the other hand, laid back, enjoyed the scenery and relaxed. We reached the dock all to soon for my taste. :) DH and I went straight back to the ship after the excursion and showered...then hit lunch around 1pm.

One piece of advice...lots of sunscreen on your back, neck, ears, and don't bend your head down to see something closer. LOL My DH burns easily...I'm not as bad...a really good tanner...I was able to put one coat of spf30 on and I was fine...he on the other hand was quite red afterward. My major malfunction was forgetting that I'm breathing out of a small tube with a hole on the top and that it worked both ways. So I would get caught up in looking at something, dip my head to low...and mmmm....yummmm...lots of sea water would come flooding into my mouth and throat. Cough, cough...cough...breath...okay...start again. :)

Go, have fun!

HI, musicgirl. We (DH, DS, self) did this excursion last May and had a terrific time.

You are off the ship fairly quickly in the morning (I think you'll meet earlier than the departure time of 9:00), and it is a short walk down the pier to the excursion catamarans. The crew was friendly but professional.

Our cat had to go back to the dock because someone forgot something, and we motored out to the snorkeling area, which is in deep and open, but protected, water near a small island. The snorkel time was enough -- I think if we hadn't had to turn back we'd have snorkeled for about an hour. Regardless, the DH and I were tired by the time we got back aboard.

You will be provided with float vests, and the kids can swim in the water if they get tired, or they can get back aboard. They'll probably prefer getting back up on the cat. The snorkeling is very good, but it is definitely a little physical, and my DS 11, who is a water-baby, got tired quite quickly, felt a bit fearful and was on deck fairly quickly. But he enjoyed it, and is really excited about snorkeling again this year.

Instruction is given, but the kids will need help from adults to get started away from the cat and feel secure.

We sailed back (which was terrific -- there's so much room on a cat), and it's entirely feasible to have lunch aboard. I think we were on the ship by 1:00.

You may find that the 7-yr-old enjoys the sailing more than the snorkeling -- the water is definitely not a swimming pool and requires some confidence.

We would definitely do this excursion again.

Thanks Dana and Northernmouse for all the great info!!!! It sounds like alot of fun. We did the blue lagoon last time, had a nice day and were going to do it again because my sister and her family will be coming along for a first "everything". I thought it would be easy to do blue lagoon for them. She was the one to suggest the catamaran and DH and I were quite pleased to get to do something new.

It sounds like we'll also get to experience lunch on board this time as well and fit in an afternoon spa visit!!

We're on the June 19 3-day Wonder and it's been so hard waiting and now with this "wonder"ful info it's even harder!!!

Thanks again, Lorie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter