Catholic Mass?

We plan our DCL cruises during the 3 times a year when Catholic Masses are offered: dates including Christmas, Easter, or Ash Wednesday.
There may be Masses during other times, if a Priest is onboard, but we haven't found a way to confirm that in advance.
In our experience, daily Mass is offered on those cruise dates, in addition to Sunday Mass.

We'll be sailing next week (woo-hoo!) and getting off the boat on Sunday, June 10. As we're are returning to Orlando for the flight home, we left ourselves enough time to attend Mass at one of our favorite places, the Shrine of Our Lady, Queen of the Universe. Mass there is truly a grace-filled experience.

Everyone has their reasons for making choices like this. You might consider contacting DCL explaining that it's important to you. Change can start with one person's request/comment.

I’m sure you would agree that if DCL officially programs for one specific religion/denomination they would need to do so for many.

Absent services for ALL, I would prefer to keep my Disney experience secular.

A cast member told me that the Mass is offered largely because of the number of workers who are Catholic. On one DCL cruise, we were allowed to attend the cast member Mass, and the theater was full. Workers may not be able to attend Mass while in port, but at least have the opportunity to attend on the ship during Christmas, Easter, and Ash Wednesday.

I’m sure you would agree that if DCL officially programs for one specific religion/denomination they would need to do so for many.

Absent services for ALL, I would prefer to keep my Disney experience secular.
Actually, this wouldn't even be a conversation if all agreed as you suggest. However, since a Catholic mass is for Catholics, unless you are one who'd feel guilty about not partaking, it shouldn't affect you or the secular feeling of the ship at all. Maybe the pool would be a little less crowded on Sunday morning. ;)

Actually, this wouldn't even be a conversation if all agreed as you suggest. However, since a Catholic mass is for Catholics, unless you are one who'd feel guilty about not partaking, it shouldn't affect you or the secular feeling of the ship at all. Maybe the pool would be a little less crowded on Sunday morning. ;)

Well then I will be sure to request an Imam for my next cruise!

Edit to add: I would not appreciate my cruise cost funding any religious activity of any type.

Edit to add: I would not appreciate my cruise cost funding any religious activity of any type.
If there are enough requests for an Imam, then there might be one for your next cruise. That would be great for all of those requesting one.

Same as people requesting a Catholic Priest. Or a Jewish Rabbi.

I may be wrong, but I have been under the impression that if a priest was on-board and offered mass, it was because he happened to be traveling, not because Dinsey actually arranged this.

I may be wrong, but I have been under the impression that if a priest was on-board and offered mass, it was because he happened to be traveling, not because Dinsey actually arranged this.
My original response was to the poster who suggested Catholics write to Disney to encourage the provision of Mass on DCL cruises.

I've had that happen on one of our cruises, and we found out about it by accident (overheard him talking at sailaway). But the priest I spoke with on the cruise we took that included Ash Wednesday a couple of years ago told me that Disney arranges for a priest to be on board for that week, Easter week and Christmas week. I don't know what if any fare he paid, though.

My original response was to the poster who suggested Catholics write to Disney to encourage the provision of Mass on DCL cruises.
The point is, if there are enough requests, it benefits Disney to look in to it. Just as if there are numerous requests for an Imam or a Rabbi.

So if you want something on a cruise, whether it be Coke Zero vs. Diet Coke or a Catholic Priest, you should make it known. If enough people request it, the change might just happen.

I've had that happen on one of our cruises, and we found out about it by accident (overheard him talking at sailaway). But the priest I spoke with on the cruise we took that included Ash Wednesday a couple of years ago told me that Disney arranges for a priest to be on board for that week, Easter week and Christmas week. I don't know what if any fare he paid, though.

Was the cruise out of Port Canaveral? Maybe they have a relationship with the Church in Cocoa Beach that would be pretty close. It might be harder to schedule people in other ports. I did not realize Disney did this so it's interesting news.

The point is, if there are enough requests, it benefits Disney to look in to it. Just as if there are numerous requests for an Imam or a Rabbi.

So if you want something on a cruise, whether it be Coke Zero vs. Diet Coke or a Catholic Priest, you should make it known. If enough people request it, the change might just happen.

My point is that no matter how many people ask for it, my cruise fare should not be subsidizing ANY religious activities on the cruise of any type whatsoever.

All theoretical anyways - Disney will never support religious activities on DCL or anywhere else.

Not sure how your cruise fare would support a religious service offered on the ship. Nor how you've reached the conclusion Disney will not support religious services although I guess it depends on what you mean by support. A service offered in an empty space costs nothing. For many years, there have been religious services offered at the CR on Christmas and Easter. Years ago before the shrine was constructed, there was a Sunday mass each week in the pavilion that hosts the luau at the Polynesian. It seems to me that Disney is accommodating its guests (and crew members on the ships) for whom such services are important. No skin off other guests' noses. In a similar vein, there are meetings for Friends of Bill on the ship...costs other guests nothing but is important to some.

aren't many cruise workers Philipino? I can see a Priest whenever possible holding a mass. A majority of philipinos are practicing catholics. I am a catholic on paper, rarely attend mass. I simply find mass Boooring in our Parish.. a mass now on a DCL ship might swing me to stop by!

Was the cruise out of Port Canaveral? Maybe they have a relationship with the Church in Cocoa Beach that would be pretty close. It might be harder to schedule people in other ports. I did not realize Disney did this so it's interesting news.

Yes, the one that Disney arranged was the Fantasy out of PC. The one I happened to find out about by accident was the Magic out of New York last year. On that one, a large group paid for their priest to come on the cruise with them.

Not sure how your cruise fare would support a religious service offered on the ship. Nor how you've reached the conclusion Disney will not support religious services although I guess it depends on what you mean by support. A service offered in an empty space costs nothing. For many years, there have been religious services offered at the CR on Christmas and Easter. Years ago before the shrine was constructed, there was a Sunday mass each week in the pavilion that hosts the luau at the Polynesian. It seems to me that Disney is accommodating its guests (and crew members on the ships) for whom such services are important. No skin off other guests' noses. In a similar vein, there are meetings for Friends of Bill on the ship...costs other guests nothing but is important to some.

If the priest or other religious person sails for free, then everyone's cruise fare subsidizes them (i.e. we all pay for their inclusion). Just like part of our cruise fare pays for the other entertainment staff.

Disney does not have anyone onboard run the Friends of Bill W (or other ANON groups), they just set aside a room and time. Its self-run by the participants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter