Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

imsorry

<font color=green>Eating an entire pint of Ben & J
Does anyone here have one? What can you tell me about them?

Now that I am no longer working I think it's a great time to get a puppy. I have plenty of time for training, bonding, etc. I've been told these are a wonderfully gentle and loving breed. There are no children in the home, just me and DH. I will be alone with the dog about 10 hours a day.

So, any experiences? Comments?

Thanks in advance! :)

A couple of our neighbors have them, including the neighbors who live right in back of us, and an aunt of mine has one. From what I can see they are wonderful, sweet dogs and I'd consider getting one if I were to ever get another dog. They aren't too big, but the one in back of us isn't a teeny dog, either. I think a good size if you want a smaller type dog. I think that heart problems are what you'd have to watch out for, so make sure that's screened in the parents.

Fantastic dogs, but devastating heart disease in the breed, so be careful to screen your breeders and find one who does extensive health testing and is honest with you about results -- there are lots of people importing puppy mill dogs from Ireland right now, so beware.

My SIL and fam has the cutest little bugeyed one.

Mikeeee

My in laws found one on the side of the road(that should have been a clue) but being the dog lovers they are they took her in. She was a wonderful dog. But was very ill. Prone to seizures. Similar to epilepsy. It was heartbreaking.
Seems the breed has suffered from in-breeding.
But they are beautiful. I just couldn't take the heartache.

We have two--an almost three year old Blenheim (white with reddish brown mask and spots) and a one year old Ruby (all reddish brown)--and they are the sweetest dogs imaginable. The Ruby is a bit of a spaz, but he is still a real sweety. And they love being around you (or on you) all of the time, so your set up sounds perfect.

There are a few medical problems to be concerned with (heart, as was mentioned, and eye problems in particular), so do be careful. We got both of ours from a wonderful breeder in Lawson, MO.

I'm betting DW chimes in with pics at any moment.

I'd love to see the pics! I met on woman on the beach two weeks ago (Southern NJ) who had a four month old. What a sweetie he was! It was a nice day, upper 40's, sunny. She was just bringing him down for short periods to get him used to the sound of the ocean.

I've been looking for breeders on line through the AKC. I have seen a few listed in Southern NJ and Long Island, NY (which is where I am during the week).

Is it possible for them to be paper trained/litter box trained? I only ask because during the week I am on the 14th floor in an apartment building, so training could be kind of tricky, waiting for the elevator.

My in laws found one on the side of the road(that should have been a clue) but being the dog lovers they are they took her in. She was a wonderful dog. But was very ill. Prone to seizures. Similar to epilepsy. It was heartbreaking.
Seems the breed has suffered from in-breeding.
But they are beautiful. I just couldn't take the heartache.

In general is the breed prone to seizures or is it more of a fluke with your in-laws dog? My lab mix has seizures and it's heartbreaking seeing her go through them and hard knowing that they might potentially shorten her life. Not that I'm planning on another dog, but if I ever do I'd like to avoid a breed that commonly gets seizures.

According to her vet it was the breed. But I don't know that for fact I am taking her word for it.

Like most purebred breeds, Cavaliers are prone to a variety of hereditary health problems. Mitral Valve Disease, Syringomyelia and assorted eye diseases being the most common. Seizures and hip dysplasia are also sometimes an issue. We've had no serious problems with either of our Cavaliers.

There's plenty of good info about the breed at the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club Web site. Cavaliers are an AKC breed at this point too, but there is division in the Cavalier world about whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

One other thing. They are expensive!

According to her vet it was the breed. But I don't know that for fact I am taking her word for it.

Something to think about for sure. I know that it's more common for labs and poodles to get seizures than some other breeds.

These are our dogs: (Jestocost is my DH)

brudders.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

maxsleep.jpg

maxx is the brown and white one and the other one is Chip.:lovestruc

i've heard that depending on the breeder and the area you live in (this came from a girl who's parents bred them) they can cost upwards of 2-3,000$. i couldn't believe it. i love cavalier king charles and i wish that someday i could own one. they just look like the sweetest things ever. it's so sad to hear that they have numerous health problems.

Thank you for the responses! I have been reading books about small dogs and I am looking for a breeder through the AKC. It seems most pure breds have health problems, but I think this dog has the "personality" I am looking for.

We are going to Disney in April, so I don't want to do anything until we come back. How could I possibly get a new "baby" and then leave it for a week?

Please wish me luck!

I have one and he is the most wonderful thing!! I also have a chihuahua (sp) and a shih tzu, which I've had about a year. I really wish we had gotten other cavalier. He has never even looked at anybody wrong. We have all kinds of kids running through the house and he just lays there.

Go to www.ckcsc.org. There's lots and lots of info on the website. I WOULD NOT buy one from the paper or pet store. There's a link to reputable breeders on the site.

I have one and he is the most wonderful thing!! I also have a chihuahua (sp) and a shih tzu, which I've had about a year. I really wish we had gotten other cavalier. He has never even looked at anybody wrong. We have all kinds of kids running through the house and he just lays there.

Go to www.ckcsc.org. There's lots and lots of info on the website. I WOULD NOT buy one from the paper or pet store. There's a link to reputable breeders on the site.

How was the potty training? Does he like riding in a car?

My parents chihuahua is now 15 years old; my parents have both passed on and my sister has their dog. I love him, but he has never been properly house broken. He is also kind of nasty, he likes to bite (even though he no longer has any teeth!).

I am determined to be a responsible pet owner; I am reading a lot of books first, and I plan on using a reputable breeder. I have waited a very long time for a dog; I wouldn't get one while I was at work all day.

Now I am concerned that having two houses will be confusing for a dog. We live in an apartment during the week and have a country house on weekends. Most people tell me the dog will love riding in the car (it is a 2 1/2 hour drive each way). But I am concerned that training will be confusing. :confused3

Well, when we got our puppy, he was four months old and completely housebroken by the breeder. He never has any accidents unless he's got an upset tummy. He knows to go to the back door and wait. He'll be 9 this April. I know it sounds crazy, but he's just a perfect dog!!

The other two, they are just clueless. I just have to remind everyone to let them out every so often.

He loves riding in the car. As soon as we get his leash out, he's jumping up and down excited to leave. I don't think two houses would confuse a Cavalier. They are very smart dogs.

Well, when we got our puppy, he was four months old and completely housebroken by the breeder. He never has any accidents unless he's got an upset tummy. He knows to go to the back door and wait. He'll be 9 this April. I know it sounds crazy, but he's just a perfect dog!!

The other two, they are just clueless. I just have to remind everyone to let them out every so often.

He loves riding in the car. As soon as we get his leash out, he's jumping up and down excited to leave. I don't think two houses would confuse a Cavalier. They are very smart dogs.

Thank you so much! It's funny, I never considered this breed; I didn't know anything about them. Then I saw that puppy two weeks ago and starting doing research and thought "This is the perfect dog for me!".

As soon as we get back from Disney in April I will start looking for my puppy. What did you name your dog? I'm thinking of a really strong name, like "Brutus" because it is so the opposite of the way they look. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter