Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Thank you so much! It's funny, I never considered this breed; I didn't know anything about them. Then I saw that puppy two weeks ago and starting doing research and thought "This is the perfect dog for me!".

As soon as we get back from Disney in April I will start looking for my puppy. What did you name your dog? I'm thinking of a really strong name, like "Brutus" because it is so the opposite of the way they look. ;)

Actually, you might want to start looking now. Good breeders usually have a waiting list or the puppies are "sold" as soon as they're born.

Actually, you might want to start looking now. Good breeders usually have a waiting list or the puppies are "sold" as soon as they're born.

Yes, one breeder I spoke to had 10 people listed for 8 puppies. They were born in January and the timing didn't work for me. She told me she expects to have a Blenheim litter in the fall and has me listed for it. I know this will take time, and it will be my first puppy. I am just so excited :yay: :yay:

Is it possible for them to be paper trained/litter box trained? I only ask because during the week I am on the 14th floor in an apartment building, so training could be kind of tricky, waiting for the elevator.
I have trained my two cockers to go on pads. I buy people underpads rather than dog peepads. They are bigger and are much cheaper - although it is kind of embarrassing to put them in my cart at Sam's.

I am in a high rise in New Orleans so I know all about the elevator issues. Plus I really don't like to have to go walk them at 2 am - especially since there have been multiple murders within a mile of me.:scared1: :scared1:

The pads also come in handy in hotels when I am traveling. I just put one or two in the bathroom on the tile and they know to go in there if they need to go.

When I am in Little Rock they have a nice big back yard - they don't seem to have any trouble adapting to moving between the two environments.

My baby has the face of a King Charles, but is a regular American cocker.
breaux6-07small.jpg

I have trained my two cockers to go on pads. I buy people underpads rather than dog peepads. They are bigger and are much cheaper - although it is kind of embarrassing to put them in my cart at Sam's.

I am in a high rise in New Orleans so I know all about the elevator issues. Plus I really don't like to have to go walk them at 2 am - especially since there have been multiple murders within a mile of me.:scared1: :scared1:

The pads also come in handy in hotels when I am traveling. I just put one or two in the bathroom on the tile and they know to go in there if they need to go.

When I am in Little Rock they have a nice big back yard - they don't seem to have any trouble adapting to moving between the two environments.

My baby has the face of a King Charles, but is a regular American cocker.
breaux6-07small.jpg

Oh my, you are telling me exactly what I want to hear. It will be 4 years until we live in the country full time, and I really don't want to take the dog out in the city if I can help it. I also would not feel safe walking a dog late at night in my neighborhood.

It is so nice to know my lifestyle can fit with a dog, thank you. :) :)

In general is the breed prone to seizures or is it more of a fluke with your in-laws dog? My lab mix has seizures and it's heartbreaking seeing her go through them and hard knowing that they might potentially shorten her life. Not that I'm planning on another dog, but if I ever do I'd like to avoid a breed that commonly gets seizures.

Our neighbors had one and it died of a grand mal seizure at about a year old. It's brother (also owned by a friend of ours) has been fine. When the puppy died their vet did an autopsy (the poor puppy was out in the yard at the time and no one saw the seizure) to confirm the seizure so that they could notify the breeder. Sadly, the vet told them that he's seen more and more seizures in the breed in the past 5 years.

They are beautiful, sweet dogs. Perfect for the lap!

Our neighbors had one and it died of a grand mal seizure at about a year old. It's brother (also owned by a friend of ours) has been fine. When the puppy died their vet did an autopsy (the poor puppy was out in the yard at the time and no one saw the seizure) to confirm the seizure so that they could notify the breeder. Sadly, the vet told them that he's seen more and more seizures in the breed in the past 5 years.

They are beautiful, sweet dogs. Perfect for the lap!

How sad. They do seem to have their share of health problems. What I have read here and online confirms to me the importance of using a reputable breeder.
Thank you for the input!

My sister has two Cavaliers. They both came from a reputable breeder. One has poor eyesight, and the other has had heart problems. They are cute, loveable dogs, but are not particularly intelligent dogs.

Now I am concerned that having two houses will be confusing for a dog. We live in an apartment during the week and have a country house on weekends. Most people tell me the dog will love riding in the car (it is a 2 1/2 hour drive each way). But I am concerned that training will be confusing.

Don't worry about it. My dogs grow up in a regular round robin of houses -- my house where I live, my mom's house where they spend occasional nights and days, especially when they're small and I'm working, and my daycare place (a friend's home). Dogs are very adaptable, and whatever lifestyle you expect to keep to throughout their lives, just begin when they're young.

Whatever you treat as normal, they will see as normal. And I bet it won't take long for the dog to figure out when you're going to the country house vs when you're going on a different errand (probably from the way you dress or pack the car) -- and I would expect a big display of JOYJOYJOY!

Don't worry about it. My dogs grow up in a regular round robin of houses -- my house where I live, my mom's house where they spend occasional nights and days, especially when they're small and I'm working, and my daycare place (a friend's home). Dogs are very adaptable, and whatever lifestyle you expect to keep to throughout their lives, just begin when they're young.

Whatever you treat as normal, they will see as normal. And I bet it won't take long for the dog to figure out when you're going to the country house vs when you're going on a different errand (probably from the way you dress or pack the car) -- and I would expect a big display of JOYJOYJOY!

I'm getting so excited just thinking about it. I actually wish I could cancel the trip to Disney and get him now. :rolleyes1

My Cavalier is very sweet, but definately quirky :) she was a puppy mill rescue and I adopted her at the age of 2, so luckily she wasn't in the industry long. When I give her a bath, brush her teeth, or brush her she will just sit there like the perfect customer. We love her so much. JMO be sure to do your homework and get one from a reputable breeder or better yet rescue ;) Don't know where you live but here is an example :thumbsup2

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10208311

Here is Sierra with her sister Heather

sierra022-1.jpg

and here she is snoring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz she snores so loud does anyone elses?

sleepingbeauty002.jpg

My Cavalier is very sweet, but definately quirky :) she was a puppy mill rescue and I adopted her at the age of 2, so luckily she wasn't in the industry long. When I give her a bath, brush her teeth, or brush her she will just sit there like the perfect customer. We love her so much. JMO be sure to do your homework and get one from a reputable breeder or better yet rescue ;) Don't know where you live but here is an example :thumbsup2

sierra022-1.jpg

sleepingbeauty002.jpg

That second pic is too cute! :rotfl:

sierra022-1.jpg

sleepingbeauty002.jpg

OMG! :cloud9: I love the way her head is hanging out of the bed - adorable!
I am doing research on breeders, reading books about training, small breed dogs, etc. I hope I have a healthy puppy.

Your dogs are beautiful. :hug:

I am doing research on breeders, reading books about training, small breed dogs, etc. I hope I have a healthy puppy.

Thank You, I have a greyhound too :love: I love my dogs. Best of luck with your search. While you are doing research and doing your homework just check to see if there is a Cavalier rescue close to you. They are a great source for information since they are a breed specific rescue.

Thank You, I have a greyhound too :love: I love my dogs. Best of luck with your search. While you are doing research and doing your homework just check to see if there is a Cavalier rescue close to you. They are a great source for information since they are a breed specific rescue.

:thumbsup2 I will!

This picture goes with the one of her in her dogbed, she woke up when I took the picture, she is such a hoot :rotfl:

sleepingbeauty004.jpg

We definitely think they are great dogs and haven't had any problems with ours at all!!!! I think they are very smart little dogs.

Louey..ours do snore. They are so funny and it can be pretty loud sometimes. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter