CBR vs. Contemporary Garden Wing with young children

olliesmom

Mouseketeer
We are trying to decide between CBR and the Contemporary Resort for our upcoming trip with two young children under 6.

We have stayed at CBR many years ago, pre-Skyline and it was not our favourite - but have since stayed at the POP post-Skyliner and it was a game-changer! We have never stayed at the Contemporary or any other monorail resort.

On this trip, the price difference between the two resorts is approx. ~800.00; it would be a CBR preferred room vs. Contemporary garden wing (water view) room.

In favour of the Contemporary is obviously the easy walking access to MK (especially with a double stroller and post-firework crowds for young children!), our kids' love of the monorail, compact size, proximity to the other monorail resorts for dining and we would plan to spend most of our time at MK and Epcot (with park hopper tickets). We also do genuinely enjoy the "theming" of the Contemporary and our kids are at an age where theming does not matter to them at all.

In favour of CBR is the lower cost, larger pool and Skyliner.

With cost being the biggest downside - if you have stayed at both/either, what would you do? Would the upgrade be worth the additional cost? Any thoughts or considerations would be very much appreciated!

I don't like the contemporary but I will say that after staying on the monorail loop, I found staying somewhere else challenging. Don't get me wrong, I loved Riviera (where we stayed after the Polynesian) and being on the skyliner but if I had a choice between monorail loop and not monorail loop, I would choose monorail loop...if I could stomach the price difference between the deluxe and moderate in your example

We are trying to decide between CBR and the Contemporary Resort for our upcoming trip with two young children under 6.

We have stayed at CBR many years ago, pre-Skyline and it was not our favourite - but have since stayed at the POP post-Skyliner and it was a game-changer! We have never stayed at the Contemporary or any other monorail resort.

On this trip, the price difference between the two resorts is approx. ~800.00; it would be a CBR preferred room vs. Contemporary garden wing (water view) room.

In favour of the Contemporary is obviously the easy walking access to MK (especially with a double stroller and post-firework crowds for young children!), our kids' love of the monorail, compact size, proximity to the other monorail resorts for dining and we would plan to spend most of our time at MK and Epcot (with park hopper tickets). We also do genuinely enjoy the "theming" of the Contemporary and our kids are at an age where theming does not matter to them at all.

With cost being the biggest downside - if you have stayed at both/either, what would you do? Would the upgrade be worth the additional cost? Any thoughts or considerations would be very much appreciated!
We have stayed at both. We started going when our oldest was 3 ..he is now 32. The first resort was the CBR..never again ..it is HUGE!!! We kept getting lost going back to the room. Now keep in mind this was way before the skyliner. And I forget how many bus stop they have before you even leave the resort. I know alot of people like the resort but not us. Now the Contemporary WE love it!!! Last fall my husband, youngest son and I stayed there and we love it there!! We have stayed in the tower and the wing many times. It is so nice walking back "home" from M.K. after the fireworks! Lets not forget the monorail, very convenient!! Its a ride by itself. Its the coolest thing going through the Contemporary on the monorail specially through child's eyes. But everyone has their likes and dislikes on each resort that is way they have different ones to chose from. Just do your homework and you will find the perfect one for your family...and if feel like you picked the wrong one there is always next year!!! One thing I forgot . The rooms at the Contemporary are nice and big! The Poly and Contemporary are the first resorts built. They made the rooms big back then..Also a plus!

Last edited:

CR for all the reasons you gave in first post.
Also the main pool at CBR is closed just now for refurb so check your dates for reopening.

Since you mentioned a double stroller I'll add that there are no elevators at CBR. I've never stayed in the garden wing at CR (only in BLT) but I would assume they do have elevators. That aside, for $800 I'd chose CR for the ease of access to MK, the far better dining options (I know a lot of people love Sebastian's but I'm definitely not one of them) and monorail access to other resorts and EP.

I’ve stayed at both just this year and honestly it would be a tough one for me. In your case, I would lean towards picking the Contemporary, simply bc of the double stroller. You wouldn’t have to collapse it to go on the monorail to Epcot and obviously the walk to MK is simple. (Double strollers must be collapsed on the skyliner) Our kids are 12, 11 and 5 and we are down to the occasional single stroller so Skyliner is easy for us. Also, with our kids ages the super convenient transport to both HS and Epcot generally sways us to CBR. CBR is also one of their favorite pools. We use the extra $800 for souvenirs, food, or to save the next trip 😂

CR, was the first Disney resort we ever stayed at when we were kids. Have stayed in both the tower and the wing. I actually prefer the wing, it's quieter. The CBR is so spread out, and even with the Skyliner, you could be in a room far away from it. A lot of the preferred rooms are close to the food court/OPR. The pool is better at the CBR, but with young kids, I don't think it's a big deal. Plus, the pool is currently closed, so depending on when you are going it may not matter. The convenience of walking to the MK is huge and the kids will love the monorail. I would say the garden wing at the CR. Maybe when the kids are a little older you could try the CBR. And yes, the wings do have elevators where as the CBR does not.

We'd definitely do CR no question. CBR is one of our least favorite resorts, purely for the size. The skyliner is really nice...when it's running smoothly and there's no storms around, but the monorail is also nice. Plus you can walk to/from MK if you choose and it's just 1 bus stop to AK and DHS, unlike the feels like never ending number at CBR.

I will also say we much prefer the pool area at CR. We can sit in the hot tub. and watch our kids/have a conversation with them while they're in the pool. You can't do that at CBR. We also preferthe food at CR, plus there's more shopping and a lil mini goofys candy shop of sorts at CR.

You can also go out and watch and hear the fireworks from MK from the CR...and even see some from the pool area. -Oh and you can watch the water parade.

100% CR over CBR EVERY day.

ETA: The skyliner totally loses over the monorail with. a double stroller.

For many years we stayed in one of the CR garden wings (there used to be two; BLT took the place of one of them). We did it mainly because they’re less expensive, but I never minded the small inconvenience of being separate from the tower. It is definitely quieter. The rooms are spacious. We do enjoy staying in the tower too, although the elevators seem to be crazy crowded all the time. The eateries are great at the CR and the convenience to the MK is awesome. It would be an easy choice unless the budget is a major consideration (convenience is expensive :rolleyes: ). I don’t care for the new Incredibles theming in the rooms, but that’s a matter of taste.

Last edited:
I have stayed at both. While I like CBR, with stroller age kids being on the monorail or able to walk to a park is SUCH a luxury. It is such a good feeling to know you don’t have to wake up your sleeping child to get on a bus. Of course at the Contemporary you will still have to bus to HS and AK, but with little kids you’ll probably be in MK a lot. It’s also great to have character dining right on site and easy access to other monorail resorts for dining. California Grill is outstanding. Don’t be afraid to take your little ones there for an early dinner; I always do.

In short, I don’t love the aesthetic of the Contemporary at all but I find the MK resort area to be so magical. If you have stroller age kids it is 100% worth it IMO if you can swing it.

Another resort you might want to consider is Wilderness Lodge. It isn’t on the monorail but you can wheel a stroller onto the larger boats (but not the little ones). Wilderness Lodge is a great “value” IMO because of its proximity to MK at a lower price point than the resorts that are actually on the monorail. I’ve stayed at all of them.

I’d pick Contemporary over CBR any day.

We've stayed at both (and liked both resorts) - with that being said I would go with the Contemporary.

Larger rooms is one of the biggest assets to me.

If your budget can handle the $800 difference, CR all day long. The double stroller with walking and monorail alone is great. No breaking it down for a bus often. If MK and Epcot are your two main parks, and you can live without that $800, I think you have your answer! Enjoy the planning!

Thank you, everyone!! This has been super helpful and I think the reassurance we needed to go for the Contemporary!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter