CC 5k run

lklgoodman

DIS Veteran
Do you have to sign up for the run ahead of time or can you sign up when you get on the ship? Our cruise leaves tomorrow ☺thanks

Last edited:
Unless it changed since last April just go to the port adventure desk upon boarding

I haven't heard of any changes on this either. As far as I know there is no pre registering for that, just on board. You will see info on it in the Navigator you get at check in.

Thanks all, my dh is interested in doing it.

Our family of four did it in October, it was awesome! Our girls are runners but DH and I are not but we went for it anyway and I am so glad we did!! Such a fun memory!! Our medals are hanging up in our room LOL and they make me smile. Have a great cruise!

my son and I signed up the morning of the run. I had changed my mind last minute and decided I wanted to go for it. There was no issue at all.

When we got on board, we went to the main desk and signed up for it. On the Dream, we met in the Evolution lounge at 8AM but didn't leave the ship until after 8:30. We had to walk quite a bit to the start line and probably didn't start running until 9AM. I could tell a lot of the serious runners were a little frustrated as they were ready to run asap. IMHO the staff could have been a little more organized in order to get an earlier start as the longer it took, the warmer it got outside.

Anyone know the average number of runners on the 5K? I guess that it can be pretty variable...

Mark

The only one(s) you have to register for in advance are the ones done through runDisney that correspond to Marathon Weekend (or a participating Half Marathon weekend). Even on those cruises, if you're not doing the paid one, you just sign up for the fun run (not quite a true 5K, but close) on board.

And yes @Impromark - it varies from cruise to cruise depending on a number of circumstances not the least of which is weather. That course is beastly hot with no shade.

Anyone know the average number of runners on the 5K? I guess that it can be pretty variable...

Mark
I don’t know about average, but we did the Fantasy Eastern Caribbean in 2016 and the Western Caribbean in 2017, each in early March. Cast members in charge indicated that they were expecting around 400 for the 5K each time. I suspect there were not quite that many, since a good number of the cruisers leaving the ship headed to the family beach. I think they had hoped to get off the ship before the crowds to get a good spot on the beach.

400, that's roughly 10% of the passengers. I want to run this, though yes I am wondering about the people who sign up and then flake out just so they can get prime beach spots...

Mark

400?!?!?! Wow... I'm hoping to do it on our cruise in a few weeks. I wasn't expecting a full on "registered race" size group...

I don't think I have ever seen 400 people on a run there. Now, a couple were of my 5K's off the smaller Magic, but the last two were off the Dream. I wouldn't worry about it. Some walk, some run, some run fast and as someone else said, they sign up thinking they will get off the ship early-which they may or may not. It is fun regardless, hope you enjoy.

There’ve been less than 100 on the last two I’ve done. Sign up on the ship only as far as I know. It’s fun and the medal is a fun souvenir.

I would like to do the 5K as well but am concerned about the hubby having to deal with DD and DS without me. What time do they typically start the run? I most likely will walk some of it especially if it is really hot and I don't want to leave him too strapped with the kids since he is still dealing with a fractured foot and probably will still have issues while onboard next month.
Also can I bring what I will need for the beach day with me instead of leaving it with DH or having to return to the ship?

I would like to do the 5K as well but am concerned about the hubby having to deal with DD and DS without me. What time do they typically start the run? I most likely will walk some of it especially if it is really hot and I don't want to leave him too strapped with the kids since he is still dealing with a fractured foot and probably will still have issues while onboard next month.
Also can I bring what I will need for the beach day with me instead of leaving it with DH or having to return to the ship?

Typical start time-around 9am. So early as 8:45 late as 9:30 or so. Figure in how long it will take you to walk the course from that. You can take your beach day items with you. There is a big bin at the start of the course and you can leave your things in there. I wouldn't take anything of too much value as it is accessible to everyone, but we have never had an issue

I would like to do the 5K as well but am concerned about the hubby having to deal with DD and DS without me.

How old are they? If they are little e high that his broken foot really would be a hindrance, i would just have them wait on the ship for you. He can get them up and start the getting ready process while you do the 5k and head back. It’s what I prefer anyway, because I don’t like changing into swimsuit etc in the island after getting aoooo sweaty. I like showering and sunscreening, dressing, and leaving the ship again with a rested family.

Sure. Sunscreen, sunglasses, coverup, swimsuit and flip flops don’t take up much room. Take a string bag and leave it in the box at the start or even just keep it with you. Let hubby take your book or e-reader if those are part of your day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter