CDC Announces Modifications and Extension of No Sail Order for All Cruise Ships

KevinFL

DCL Pearl
So what does this mean for upcoming Disney Cruises, cancellations and refunds? Cruises for next 100 days out of US Ports cancelled??

This order ceases operations of cruise ships in waters in which the United States may exert jurisdiction and requires that they develop a comprehensive, detailed operational plan approved by CDC and the USCG to address the COVID-19 pandemic through maritime focused solutions, including a fully implementable response plan with limited reliance on state, local, and federal government support. These plans would help prevent, mitigate, and respond to the spread of COVID-19, by:

• monitoring of passengers and crew medical screenings;
  • training crew on COVID-19 prevention;
  • managing and responding to an outbreak on board; and
  • submitting a plan to USCG and CDC for review
This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of three situations. First, the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency. Second, the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations. Or third, 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html

Last edited:
OK, looked it up - It says "in waters in which the United States may exert jurisdiction " So, I'd say it only affects those cruise ships that are within the 12 mile limit.

I believe the CDC really can't tell a ship that's not a US ship how to run things.

My reading is that this covers 2 different issues.

1. The no sail order for cruise ships out of US ports continue for 100 days (or until one of the other 2 conditions are met).

2. Ships currently anchored/operating off shore or in port cannot continue to do so if they do not meet all those listed conditions in the next 7 days. They would need to leave US waters and could no longer offload sick crew members or resupply.

The first paragraph on page 5 really lays out the thinking that these ships are a threat to health and that they are not doing enough now with only crew aboard and remain a threat to the US healthcare system and need to leave.

limited reliance on state, local, and federal government support.
was the phrase above in the earlier orders?

for instance, if the operators submit a plan that meets this requirement, they can possibly get the order rescinded before the 100 day expiration.

was the phrase above in the earlier orders?

for instance, if the operators submit a plan that meets this requirement, they can possibly get the order rescinded before the 100 day expiration.

That particular quote I believe is in reference to the ships having any access to US ports/waters for the crew-only ships- ie they can no longer use US hospitals for their crews currently adrift. If they do not meet those requirements in that section they need to vacate US waters (and they state there’s 80k crew currently in our waters).

Two paragraphs down from that it states the no sail order of March 14th shall remain in effect (which I believe speaks to their commercial passengers operations).

The other very telling thing in the order is that commercial air travel cannot be used for any passenger or crew. So everyone disembarking would not be ale to head to MCO.

The last paragraph of the order states that the ships can re-berth for provisions and fuel under USCG and HHS/CDC guidelines and approval so that means apparently as long as the ships don't show any on board crew members with symptoms or have tested positive, they'll be allowed into port to get supplies and fuel, then return to sea to anchor. The declaration isn't ordering all ships to leave American waters. there's many conditions they can remain and even return to port. But primarily the order is aimed specifically at no passenger service or boarding until further notice.

What are the chances the ships (DCL or anyone's) will get a major overhaul to the ventilation? And would that mitigate the risks at all?
If they base decisions on scientific facts, there is no reason to do so because of Covid-19. There is no evidence that the virus as gone airborne. Therefore, it does not propagate through ventilation systems.

The last paragraph of the order states that the ships can re-berth for provisions and fuel under USCG and HHS/CDC guidelines and approval so that means apparently as long as the ships don't show any on board crew members with symptoms or have tested positive, they'll be allowed into port to get supplies and fuel, then return to sea to anchor. The declaration isn't ordering all ships to leave American waters. there's many conditions they can remain and even return to port. But primarily the order is aimed specifically at no passenger service or boarding until further notice.

I believe you need to read the order as two separate actions. The part about resupply is under the section extending no sail orders. However the entire section above it talks about conditions for ships to enter ports and has an extensive list of conditions that must be met in the next 7 days. If they are unable to meet them they cannot enter port. By listing it first, and by detailing the ways crew are continuing to endanger public health, its aimed at getting ships to put a lot of changes/plans in place or vacate.

I believe you need to read the order as two separate actions. The part about resupply is under the section extending no sail orders. However the entire section above it talks about conditions for ships to enter ports and has an extensive list of conditions that must be met in the next 7 days. If they are unable to meet them they cannot enter port. By listing it first, and by detailing the ways crew are continuing to endanger public health, its aimed at getting ships to put a lot of changes/plans in place or vacate.
I got that part, and while it's a firm deadline I believe most of the cruise lines will adhere to the order and issue their plan to mitigate the problems in the seven day deadline. The majority of the ships in port or at anchor don't have any problems and should meet the criteria for berthing and resupplying as needed, other than dealing with crew re-assignments or contracts. We'll see how it works out, I believe that most of the lines including DCL will meet the requirements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter