CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what the "government" said about testing and people are paying out of pocket for testing. I do not believe that these IVs are going to be given to every American that needs them at no out of pocket cost to the person. No way.

Federal law requires all private insurers, medicare, and medicaid to provide Covid tests at no out of pocket cost. And it provides funds for people with no insurance to get free tests as well.

I pay about $150/mo in premiums. I have an in network out of pocket maximum of $3500. I have an out of network maximum of $5000. They don’t overlap. And all of my meds aren’t covered. If I was getting my insurance through the ACA, Those deductibles would be about $2k more, and I would have to pay at least $600/mo in premiums. My in network would be smaller, and fewer meds would be covered. This system sucks.

When I received my COVID test, it wasn’t coded correctly, so I received a bill. It then took two months to sort it out between the provider and insurance company. Again, this system sucks.

What you experience and describe isn't the fault of the ACA. Those are more due to your state government's implementation of ACA, the capitalist healthcare system that America has in place, and how the current administration played with the ACA (ie. removing mandate and allowing low cost, low quality plans that don't match the coverage levels of the ACA), among many others.

Also, the US government has been pre-purchasing doses of Regeneron's antibody drug for over three months now...

https://www.biocentury.com/article/...of-antibody-doses-millions-more-likely-needed

This is another of my issues with "warp speed". This created a conflict of interest in that the government now is invested in pushing candidates from these specific companies, even if there are potentially more effective candidates from other companies.
As far as I know, there were no publicly available criteria or reasoning for how these specific companies were chosen over others.

This is another of my issues with "warp speed". This created a conflict of interest in that the government now is invested in pushing candidates from these specific companies, even if there are potentially more effective candidates from other companies.
As far as I know, there were no publicly available criteria or reasoning for how these specific companies were chosen over others.

The FDA, NIAID, and NIH have used their best efforts to select the best possible candidates to support financially. And if more strong potential candidates come up, nothing is stopping them from supporting more development. Regeneron and Lilly are competitors and Warp Speed has supported both. Astra Zeneca's vaccine candidate originated in Europe and Warp Speed supported that as well.

I don't see any evidence at all there to suggest a conflict of interest.

What you experience and describe isn't the fault of the ACA. Those are more due to your state government's implementation of ACA, the capitalist healthcare system that America has in place, and how the current administration played with the ACA (ie. removing mandate and allowing low cost, low quality plans that don't match the coverage levels of the ACA), among many others.

I’m not blaming or debating ACA. I like it. It provides a lot of great consumer protections. What I don’t like is that healthcare costs in the US are growing faster than wages. It’s the implementation that I don’t like.

I'm a physician. No way every American who needs it is getting tested for free or treated for free. Full stop. Not happening, not ever.

Anyone who has spent any time in the American health care system would agree.

i don’t think anyone ever said what you just claimed.

the government has already pledged to provide these treatments and the vaccines for free.

Regarding treatment.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/usc-...ovid-19-test-payment-and-how-to-improve-them/
The Families First and Coronavirus Relief Act (FFCRA), as amended by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, provides that testing for the detection of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and the associated office, urgent care, or emergency room visit shall be free to the patient, so long as the federally-declared public health emergency is in effect. This protection applies to virtually every form of health coverage, including Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance (other than some forms of coverage, such as short-term plans, that are exempt from much insurance regulation). Federal law also establishes a fund that will pay for tests delivered to uninsured patients if a provider chooses to seek reimbursement.

Unfortunately, since enactment, a number of press reports have highlighted examples of insurers, employers, and providers not following the law. Some of this likely stems from uncertainty in how to interpret the law or about its existence, while some may reflect efforts to skirt their legal obligations. Recent guidance put forward by the Trump administration adds some clarification, but also leaves a few important questions unanswered.

Bold is mine. Well and beyond our dumpster fire of a public health response, our health care system is a not-just-quite disaster which only works well for those that can afford it. For many people, contracting Covid and needing treatment will be a huge expense.

Not political. Just stating facts. I've worked in health care for 30 years. The government can say it's covered, but in reality, it may not be, or the associated costs won't be. And there are many, many people without insurance at all. I live in the state with one of the highest number of uninsured people. I'm sure there will be many, many people that will be covered, but there will be many more that fall thru the cracks, and they are usually the ones that can least afford it.

I'd love it if everyone was covered fully and reliably, without red tape or denied insurance claims. My job would become instantly easier and my billing department could be completely revamped. And I suspect my patient population would, on the whole, ultimately be healthier.

Back to vaccines...

There’s no doubt our medical system is far from perfect. But we are also leading the world by a mile in developing treatments. And attempting to get them to Americans easily.

Federal law requires all private insurers, medicare, and medicaid to provide Covid tests at no out of pocket cost. And it provides funds for people with no insurance to get free tests as well.
This isn’t the reality on the ground. What “should be” and what is are two different things.

Our tests were free because our city was a hot spot in June-August and the federal government stood up a number of drive through test points manned by National Guard with tests administered by med techs. Got results in 3 days. Free, easy (no lines), located nearby.

Last edited:
I have. You stated that Covid testing and treatment is free to all Americans with no out of pocket costs and that is not true.

I never once stated testing is free to all Americans. If you can show otherwise, please do so. What I said was federal law requires all private insurers, medicare, and medicaid to not charge for tests and that the government has put aside money for uninsured people to get free tests. PLEASE tell me I said otherwise- I will happily retract.

And yes- antibody treatment WILL be no out of pocket to Americans. Again- that is what I said. And I provided a link of the president saying this. And a separate link showing that the government has prepaid for hundreds of thousands of doses. But again- please tell me I said otherwise.

Hey okey? Anything?

You called me out- I verified what I said was accurate. Your turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter