Ceiling fans being removed from the Poly!!!

Designers have disliked fans for years. I remember watching shows a long time ago where that was the first thing want removed

Seriously? We are suppose to let a design show dictate how we live?

I have a home in South Florida and keep my ac and fans on. The fan circulates the air in the room and makes you feel cooler.

I live in Florida, and I keep my thermostats around 74-76. If I set them to 68, I would go broke and couldn't afford to go to WDW. :)

Can the temp really go no lower than 68? is it just me or does that seem unreasonably high especially in the high heat/humidity of September?

Don't forget about the rooftop bar at Aventura. :D
It looks amazing and all that for the same price or less than a WDW Value. Much more bang for your buck. Values at Universal more like WDW moderates. With some Deluxe amenities thrown in too.

Correct. And they are not being installed in the refurbished Yacht Club and Coronado Springs rooms either. They too are just getting a light. Going forward they will not be in any WDW resort rooms.
Coronado Springs refurbed rooms do indeed have ceiling fans.

Coronado Springs refurbed rooms do indeed have ceiling fans.

I saw a picture of a new room at Coronado and it had a light. Some of the new Beach Club rooms also have a light, not a fan. I imagine if the fan was broken, they removed it and replaced with a light rather than another fan.

I'm a little surprised Disney hasn't done the card thing except with magic bands (it seems common in Europe to have electricity only activated when your room card is docked in the room). That would probably save them tons of electricity and it would have solved the fan problem- if that was the problem.

A/C and a fan might not seem like a big deal, right? :sunny:
But think of the amount of rooms at Disney combined, even just the Moderate and Deluxe Resorts incl. the Villas. That's a lot of energy that can be saved in an environmental point of view, even if the save per room is tiny!

I welcome changes like these but at the same time I understand that it's an ambiance thing and very "southern" thing with ceiling fans. But for the greater good I am all for it. :idea:

And of course it saves Disney money too, in the long run. But who are we to complain (really), this is an American company in America - the country that is build on a successful enterprise mentality and founded with market economy values in the core. At the end of the day, they are a business and business companies earn money. Our role as customers (ooops, sorry - Guests) is to put our influence in on what we would like to see in the development and in progress by our actions and shopping choices when visiting. :rainbow:

A/C and a fan might not seem like a big deal, right? :sunny:
But think of the amount of rooms at Disney combined, even just the Moderate and Deluxe Resorts incl. the Villas. That's a lot of energy that can be saved in an environmental point of view, even if the save per room is tiny!

I welcome changes like these but at the same time I understand that it's an ambiance thing and very "southern" thing with ceiling fans. But for the greater good I am all for it. :idea:

And of course it saves Disney money too, in the long run. But who are we to complain (really), this is an American company in America - the country that is build on a successful enterprise mentality and founded with market economy values in the core. At the end of the day, they are a business and business companies earn money. Our role as customers (ooops, sorry - Guests) is to put our influence in on what we would like to see in the development and in progress by our actions and shopping choices when visiting. :rainbow:
It won't save them money, because now people will be keeping their rooms cooler, due to no fan. It costs a heck of a lot more to run an a/c unit than it does a fan.

It won't save them money, because now people will be keeping their rooms cooler, due to no fan. It costs a heck of a lot more to run an a/c unit than it does a fan.

People won't be able to have them on all day with the automatic sensors installed in the new A/C units. The regular air flow system for the hotel (building, wing or unit) will continuously run with a more efficient air distribution. And activate the cooling effect when the sensor registers people in the room. That does already save a lot of energy and money on the small scale that it has already been implemented on so far, rolling it out to all resorts will mage a much bigger difference for all of WDW. :flower3:

If you can override the system to lower the temperature below the defaulted 72. Wonder which dim bulb at Disney came up with 72 degrees at the default because for me that's too high.

If you can override the system to lower the temperature below the defaulted 72. Wonder which dim bulb at Disney came up with 72 degrees at the default because for me that's too high.

Its not necessarily something Disney came up with. It's apparently the optimum temp for a/c. That's what the heating company set my mother's at, that was the temp in my dorms in college, and that's the lowest the work thermostat will go.

It's not low enough for middle of the day but fine any other time.

Its not necessarily something Disney came up with. It's apparently the optimum temp for a/c. That's what the heating company set my mother's at, that was the temp in my dorms in college, and that's the lowest the work thermostat will go.

It's not low enough for middle of the day but fine any other time.

So spend $$$ per day/night for your room to enjoy anytime of the day, but dont go back during the day because it'll be too warm? LOL. Wonder if the common areas (front desk, hallways, etc.) are at that same temperature.

So spend $$$ per day/night for your room to enjoy anytime of the day, but dont go back during the day because it'll be too warm? LOL. Wonder if the common areas (front desk, hallways, etc.) are at that same temperature.

No I'm not saying that at all- I'm just saying that in those other places where I'm moving around, that's the only time of day I really notice it.

And the common areas probably are at that temperature. They wouldn't be set below 71 for cost reasons. It's just that the common areas probably feel cooler due to larger spaces and less direct exposure from windows.

But Poly and other WDW resorts have multiple sit down restaurants and quick service as well as pool bars. There were pool attendants at my stays at GF & Yc/BC, and our last Poly stay had them, just started trying it out I think. GF has 5 sit down restaurants along with a quick service and pool grill. So not sure I understand?

Except you can't eat at any of them during high season unless you have a ADR and Disney's ADR system punishes those how don't hyper-plan months in advance. No other deluxe vacation resort in North America would tell as guest that "no, you can't have lunch" even though the restaurant is half empty. (Kona Café) Or is unwilling to move a reservation by 30 minutes when the restaurant is 3/4 empty (at the Contemporary, can't remember the name)

There is no logic behind this although its interesting to see how Disney has trained its customers. I asked a server about it and she said the signatures are staffed as low as possible and management would rather turn away customers than schedule additional servers and kitchen staff.

At other resorts in the price range of what we paid at the Poly, its never a problem to eat where and when we want with reasonable (as in that morning or afternoon planning) and often reservations aren't needed at all.

http://www.directenergy.com/blog/right-temperature-air-conditioner-summer/

Interesting. So, part of it is that the standard temp has raised in 30 years because summer clothing styles have changed. Fewer layers, less coverage, means that people need a higher temperature setting to be comfortable.

I don't agree with the higher temperature at night- I can't sleep without a blanket over me so no, I'm not going to set my thermostat to 78. My parents do that and it drives me nuts.

And then they've apparently calculated how much your energy bill will rise percentage wise for each degree lower.

Except you can't eat at any of them during high season unless you have a ADR and Disney's ADR system punishes those how don't hyper-plan months in advance. No other deluxe vacation resort in North America would tell as guest that "no, you can't have lunch" even though the restaurant is half empty. (Kona Café) Or is unwilling to move a reservation by 30 minutes when the restaurant is 3/4 empty (at the Contemporary, can't remember the name)

There is no logic behind this although its interesting to see how Disney has trained its customers. I asked a server about it and she said the signatures are staffed as low as possible and management would rather turn away customers than schedule additional servers and kitchen staff.

At other resorts in the price range of what we paid at the Poly, its never a problem to eat where and when we want with reasonable (as in that morning or afternoon planning) and often reservations aren't needed at all.

But at other resorts, you usually aren't having a lot of people from outside coming in to eat there either. Hotel restaurants don't usually have a huge following in my experience. Maybe afternoon tea or dinner at a select few places would be difficult to snag.

But it's a very different situation than Kona's, which makes most of the top Disney food lists. High demand=scarcity.

I'm not joking, I would pay $100 more per night to have unfettered access to my thermostat when I am staying at WDW.

No sensors, no setbacks, no secret programming that I can't see. Just a good old-fashioned thermostat which shows me the real temp of the room and lets me arrow up and down. If they even want to cap the lower limit at 68, that's fine with me

$100 per night. On top of what I already pay for the room

Maybe $150 now that I think about it.

See for me, that is too cold. My house right now is set at 75 and I'm thinking I need to go put socks on my feet are so cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter