• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cell Phone Cameras and recording at the gym...

They were probably recording you on purpose. They probably set it up where you were behind the guy on purpose. You should of said something. They could of went to another area if they didn't want to record you.

As long as they were not filming me , as in meaning too. I don't know how much worse it could be than say being out in public like WDW , or someplace like that and people filming. It can be hard to keep people out of things sometimes. Now if the phone were sitting on me directly then that is a whole different matter.

First thing I would have done was, as soon as they started recording, asked that they let me get out of the frame. Chances of them even noticing there was someone behind the subject are slim but we've all seen those dreadful "Seen at Wal-Mart" things where photos of strangers are circulated for everyone else's entertainment. (GOD I hate those things!) It was the owner and some friends who were recording so I don't see where the problem would have been. I would have asked to have seen the recording to ensure I WASN'T in the frame. I definitely would have addressed it before I left the gym that day.

The situation described is not the gym doing the recording, it's another patron. Different situation not covered in the contract language you cited.

The OP doesn't clarify that in the first post. She said that both the owner and other members film things, PLUS the OP doesn't even state that the video was posted, just that she is "knows it will be"?

Unfortunately this is an issue in our society and I don't think there's much you can do about it. Practically everyone has a cell phone camera with them all the time. Other than places where there's a reasonable expectation of privacy, eg. a locker room, dressing room, bathroom, etc. you pretty much have to assume you could be on camera any time you're out in public. In addition to random people you encounter, there are security cameras in stores and many other public places and traffic cameras on the streets. I don't like it but you can't avoid them.

In the situation at your gym, as soon as I realized I was being filmed, I would have politely asked them to stop, or simply got up and walked out of the shot.

In the situation at your gym, as soon as I realized I was being filmed, I would have politely asked them to stop, or simply got up and walked out of the shot.
Seems like such a simple solution. You see someone is going to film somebody and you may be in the video. If it is going to skeeve you out, stand up, move over a few feet, continue with your squats. Problem solved.

A little more difficult if you are on a piece of equipment, but if being in somebody else's film was going to bother me, I would move to another piece of equipment for the few minutes the film was being shot.

Personal responsibility is such a lost art these days.

They were probably recording you on purpose. They probably set it up where you were behind the guy on purpose. You should of said something. They could of went to another area if they didn't want to record you.

You are joking, right? It's so hard to read tone online.

Concerns about videotaping are one of the reasons that cell phones are not allowed at my gym. People who might be awaiting an urgent call can leave their cell phones at the front desk,and if it rings, they will page you.

I enjoy listening to music or watching Netflix at the gym. Not being allowed to have my phone with me would be a deal breaker for me.

Does your gym state anywhere - posted in the gym, online, or in your contract - that you may be recorded and/or image may be used for promotional material? If this is communicated anywhere, you don't really have a leg to stand on. If it's not communicated, you could probably use that as leverage to get out of your contract if you wanted to put up a fight. Its probably presumptuous on the gym's part to assume people don't mind being captured in the background of these videos, but it seems to be innocent. I'd probably let it go and be more cognizant of the recording around me, and move out of the way.

Concerns about videotaping are one of the reasons that cell phones are not allowed at my gym. People who might be awaiting an urgent call can leave their cell phones at the front desk,and if it rings, they will page you.

At my gym people use their phone while working out. I would listen to my music.

There is no way I would leave my phone at the front desk and would not belong to a gym that would not allow me to have it. I watch Netflix while on the elliptical.

There is no way I would leave my phone at the front desk and would not belong to a gym that would not allow me to have it. I watch Netflix while on the elliptical.
I use my tablet for that. Tablets are allowed.

What!!!??? And have the receptionist find the nude selfies I have stored there!!! :scared1::faint:

The gym I go to has a screen with messages that change every few seconds. One of the messages asks people to be considerate of others and not photograph or record wether it's followed or enforced is another story.

That's a bizarre rule! Tablets are just as capable of taking video and photos as phones?
Like I said, it was one of the reasons. I suspect the other is they don't want the phones ringing on the floor and people sitting on equipment talking on the phone and preventing other folks from using it.

I would cross that gym right off my list- when I am at the gym I have Netflix streaming on my iphone so I can watch a movie while I am on the treadmill or the elliptical!

What do they do, pat everyone down at the door? People use their phones to listen to music, watch videos etc.

They don't have jerks at this gym - people just agree not to bring in their phones. It's in the contract. They have really cool machines with screens, etc. for watching while exercising. It's not an issue - people just don't do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter